Steely Dan "Everything Must Go" CD and Tour Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain: Leg II of this tour has the Dan in Dallas only:

http://steelydan.com/emgtouring.html

The album will also be available in three different versions:

CD
CD plus bonus DVD
DVD-Audio (with high-res 24 bit/192kHz versions in surround and stereo, as well as DTS and Dolby Digital versions of the surround mix)

...and there is talk of a European vinyl version as well. Version info available here:

http://steelydan.com/emgversions.html

When did Steely Dan do a record for A&M?

--Mr Bill
trying to keep his forums straight and not get confused...

Mr Bill said:
When did Steely Dan do a record for A&M?

--Mr Bill
trying to keep his forums straight and not get confused...

Well, if you look at the name and description of this Forum, it says:

A Small Circle of Friends: The A&M Forum
For all A&M and other music discussions not covered elsewhere.

I believe "other music" pretty much covers a wide variety of topics, though it seems to me that FAO would serve that purpose too.

Harry
...resting his case, online...

Rudy said:
Can't wait until next Tuesday to hear the new one? Go to this link at the Reprise website and have a listen to the entire album via an internet stream:

http://www.repriserecords.com/steelydan/player/

So you can guess what I'm playing right now... :wink:

Thanks for the link Neil! I'm really amazed that they are letting people listen to the entire album, rather than just the usual 30 second clips. :)

I'm over halfway through the album now, and I'm finding it to be a very enjoyable listen. What are your impressions of the album now that you've listened to it? Has it lived up to your expectations?

Murray
...who gives the album a :thumbsup: ...

Harry said:
A Small Circle of Friends: The A&M Forum

That's the plan, Stan. :wink: I'm eventually hoping to have ALL music discussions here and none in For Animals Only (unless it is related in some strange or amusing way that doesn't actually discuss the music, something like Michael Jackson's plastic surgery disasters).

Murray said:
I'm over halfway through the album now, and I'm finding it to be a very enjoyable listen. What are your impressions of the album now that you've listened to it? Has it lived up to your expectations?

Murray
...who gives the album a :thumbsup: ...

I haven't been able to actually sit down and listen to it--I did play the whole thing while making dinner last night. On another forum, someone mentioned that Fagen's vocal was a little buried in the mix--I, too, found it hard to hear all the lyrics. It's just the streaming media, and it very well could be that it isn't in stereo online. (I couldn't tell over the computer speakers.)

But based on what I heard, it'll be a keeper. One of those I play at least once a day to soak in all the lyrics (all the new characters and places that make up the Steely Dan world :wink: ).

harry said:
Well, if you look at the name and description of this Forum, it says: A Small Circle of Friends: The A&M Forum
I believe "other music" pretty much covers a wide variety of topics, though it seems to me that FAO would serve that purpose too.
Capt B said:
Actually, Donald Fagen was on an A&M album - That's The Way I Feel, the Thelonius Monk tribute album.
Rudy said:
That's the plan, Stan. I'm eventually hoping to have ALL music discussions here and none in For Animals Only (unless it is related in some strange or amusing way that doesn't actually discuss the music, something like Michael Jackson's plastic surgery disasters).

I hereby consider myself spanked. :oops:

--Mr Bill

Well, I finally found the CD/DVD version of Everything Must Go locally, but I did not find the DVD-Audio version, which was to be released the same day. Haven't listened yet, but it's in my hands, and being ripped to MP3 so I can pop it in my car changer. (Making an MP3 CD of all the Dan albums... :D )

I've been through the album once here at work. But in the background and at low volumes, I can't say I've really listened to it.

I do like the artwork though. The booklet, and album cover, features a street vendor with a tray of watches. The title, of course is Everything Must Go. Each page of the booklet features the lyrics and credits to one song, while the background image on each page features an analog watch face, with the time on each representing the track number. The first one is at one o'clock, the second at two o'clock, and so on. Cool!

I learned one thing in the 'thank you' department. Donald Fagan is apparently married to Libby Titus. I remember her as a vocalist in the '80s with at least one record that got decent airplay on A/C stations. The joke that went around the station at the time was that 'Libby Titus' sounded like the name of a disease!

Harry
...about to give it another post-lunch spin, online...

Hey, that's cool about the booklet--just popped it open now!

Libby Titus was one of the players in the New York Rock 'n' Soul Revue, which got hubby back into playing in a live setting. Then when hubby's pal Walter came onstage to play a couple of songs from the old days, the sparks of the Dan rekindled.

Libby Titus appears on the excellent Burt Bacharach album Woman, by the way...I believe Carly Simon does also.

I did not find the DVD-Audio version of this new one, but I did get Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and the last Steely Dan, Two Against Nature. Reportely the surround mixes on these are good, and the high-res stereo tracks are fantastic. I think the new Dan DVD-A release must have gotten delayed or must be in short supply, as I haven't even heard of anyone who preordered it online getting it yet. It will be odd with the Steely Dan high-res titles: the Warner titles will be in DVD-Audio (the two recent Dan albums, plus both of Fagen's solo albums), but the others being on Universal will be released on SACD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom