Suggestions on finding an authentic Herb Alpert Fandango CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithH

Hello. I'm rather new to this forum, so I apologize if this thread does not really belong here. In any case, I am desperately trying to locate an authentic Herb Alpert Fandango CD. A Japanese or U.S. pressing on A&M with catalog number CD-3731 or the Japanese issue with catalog number D18Y-4122 (with the OBI strip) will do. Basically, I'll take anything besides the bogus Omega CD-R.

Does anyone have thoughts as to where I might be able to score a copy? I've scoured the 'net and can't find one.

Thanks! :)

Hey Keith. Welcome to the A&M Corner Forum. Good luck in your quest. I suspect you might find that some of us indeed own a genuine FANDANGO CD, but there are likely few who would be willing to part with one.

Still, you never know. If I hear of one, I'll keep you in mind.

And just to rub it in a bit, here's a picture of my copy:

Fandango.jpg

along with an original promo ad (that I stole from an eBay ad):

FandangoAd.jpg

Harry

Harry said:
Hey Keith. Welcome to the A&M Corner Forum. Good luck in your quest. I suspect you might find that some of us indeed own a genuine FANDANGO CD, but there are likely few who would be willing to part with one.

Still, you never know. If I hear of one, I'll keep you in mind.

Harry

Thanks, Harry! Given the sort of forum this is, I would not expect the good members here to offer one up. :wink: However, you never know if someone has an extra copy or knows someone who is willing to part with one.

I still have the LoJack on mine, and it was still on the shelf the last time you were over... :D

I'm not sure if this ever had a Japan release or not, but I know I got my copy when it first came out (already had the LP), but don't remember it staying in print all that long.

IIRC, this is one CD that is rumored to be one of the next solo albums to be released in the Signature Series. But with Herb's current tour with Lani, this is no doubt on the back burner...

I have an extra LP if anyone needs one!

Harry

Rudy said:
I still have the LoJack on mine, and it was still on the shelf the last time you were over... :D

I'm not sure if this ever had a Japan release or not, but I know I got my copy when it first came out (already had the LP), but don't remember it staying in print all that long.

IIRC, this is one CD that is rumored to be one of the next solo albums to be released in the Signature Series. But with Herb's current tour with Lani, this is no doubt on the back burner...

Rudy, your copy is safe. I think you know why. Hint: I'm a fanatical collector. :wink:

While we're on the subject, does anybody know where I can find an LP copy of the AyM Discos version of FANDANGO (SP 37001)? I know I'm probably dreaming, but you never know...

Tks,
Tony

KeithH said:
Harry said:
I have an extra LP if anyone needs one!

Harry

Oooh. Condition of the LP and jacket?

The LP jacket is still in tight shrinkwrap, with only about a half-inch at the opening pulled back a bit. Lower right corner has a minor bend in it. I see no discoloration in the white cover where the shrinkwrap is pulled back.

Inside, the innersleeve is taught and unwrinkled. The LP looks and seems unplayed (though I know I've never played it all the way through).

This copy came to me via my sister, who picked it up at some kind of sale down in Virginia about five-six years ago. At the time, I was on the lookout for a NOCHE DE AMOR LP and had her keeping her eyes out. She reported that she'd found this one and asked if I wanted it. I said "Sure", and she sent it up.

I found the condition remarkable and have had it resting on my shelf ever since, figuring someday it would find a good home.

Since I already own a serviceable copy of the LP in great shape, plus a copy of the AyM Discos version on LP, and the CD, I'm well-covered on FANDANGO.

I've since found a NOCHE DE AMOR for the collection as well.

Harry

toeknee4bz said:
While we're on the subject, does anybody know where I can find an LP copy of the AyM Discos version of FANDANGO (SP 37001)? I know I'm probably dreaming, but you never know...

Tks,
Tony

I don't know where you can find one - I found mine on eBay. My description of my copy can be found in this thread:

http://forum.amcorner.com/viewtopic.php?p=44353

Harry

Since Fandango was originally released in 1982 on vinyl & cassette, the CD version was almost overlooked by A&M - with the CD coming out around 2 years later. In the early days of CDs here in the States, there weren't enough CD pressing plants on line yet. When A&M revved up their CD releases, they used their German & Japanese licensees, PolyGram and Pony Canyon respectively, to press their CDs for U.S. release. Some people mistakenly thought that these CDs were "imports." I suppose that technically they were, but not in the sense that they were made for a market other than ours.

As a note of trivia, I still have the longbox in which Fandango was packaged. Does anybody know what A&M album was the last to be packaged in a longbox? Quite a bit was made of it at the time, as it was another way that A&M went "green" at the time.

Steve Sidoruk said:
Since Fandango was originally released in 1982 on vinyl & cassette, the CD version was almost overlooked by A&M - with the CD coming out around 2 years later. In the early days of CDs here in the States, there weren't enough CD pressing plants on line yet. When A&M revved up their CD releases, they used their German & Japanese licensees, PolyGram and Pony Canyon respectively, to press their CDs for U.S. release. Some people mistakenly thought that these CDs were "imports." I suppose that technically they were, but not in the sense that they were made for a market other than ours.

As a note of trivia, I still have the longbox in which Fandango was packaged. Does anybody know what A&M album was the last to be packaged in a longbox? Quite a bit was made of it at the time, as it was another way that A&M went "green" at the time.

Steve, I am just surprised by how hard it is to find a Fandango CD. Other Herb Alpert albums from that era are easier to find. Even before the reissues came out, one would see copies of Rise and Blow Your Own Horn on eBay fairly often. Bullish shows up from time to time. Now, there are more unique pressings of those albums, but each individual pressing seems to be more common than any issue of Fandango. The only other Herb Alpert album that seems to approach the rarity of Fandango is Magic Man.

So, you have a cardboard longbox for Fandango? I thought it would have been issued early enough to have come in a plastic blister pack. Was your disc pressed in Japan or the U.S.?

I don't know the last A&M title to have been issued in a cardboard longbox, but I'm pretty sure A&M used longboxes until 1990 or thereabouts. Back in the summer of 1990, I took a couple of classes back on my college campus. One of the guys on my dorm floor was a big CD collector, and I remember he and I discussing the controversy that had ensued about the environmental impact of longboxes. I guess they started to disappear in 1990.

My Fandango CD is a U.S. pressing. I guess my memory is a bit fuzzy - when I pulled the CD to look at it, I found that it was made 09/88! So, it was almost a 6 year lag after the vinyl.

Steve Sidoruk said:
My Fandango CD is a U.S. pressing. I guess my memory is a bit fuzzy - when I pulled the CD to look at it, I found that it was made 09/88! So, it was almost a 6 year lag after the vinyl.

1988?! I had no idea it was in print that late. Is the catalog number still CD-3731? I ask because A&M changed the catalog numbers for many CDs in the '80s (e.g., CD-3714 and CD-3274 for Rise).

I figured you might have a U.S. pressing since you had, what I assumed to be, a cardboard longbox and not a plastic blister pack. The original Japanese pressing of Fandango probably came in a blister pack.

The Japanese pressing probably came out in 1985 or '86. Assuming that Fandango stayed in print continuously from '85 or '86 until '88, then why am I having such a hard time finding a copy?

CD 3731 is the number. Most times a catalog number change reflected the album was moved to a different price group, typically the mid-line re-issue series.

I have a set of CD International books and will check to see when Fandango appeared. For now, the only book I did find was the '96-'97 volume and it wasn't listed as current in the U.S. or overseas.

Steve Sidoruk said:
CD 3731 is the number. Most times a catalog number change reflected the album was moved to a different price group, typically the mid-line re-issue series.

I have a set of CD International books and will check to see when Fandango appeared. For now, the only book I did find was the '96-'97 volume and it wasn't listed as current in the U.S. or overseas.

Thanks again, Steve. My guess is that Fandango went out of print in the '80s. Given its apparent rarity, it's probably been out of print a long time.

My copy has that 09/88 1DA1 designation on the inner silvered ring. And other than the CD3731, there's nothin else on the ring. My copy says "Made in U.S.A." in a slightly larger and skewed font following the copyright info. (You can almost see that in the picture I posted above.)

I'm not sure that that 09/88 indication is referring to a manufacture date - I guess it's possible, but my recollection is that I bought the CD around the time of KEEP YOUR EYE ON ME which was in 1987. I remember that the KEEP YOUR EYE ON ME album was of interest enough to me that I went and backtracked all of the Alpert CD's I could find, which would have been when I purchased FANDANGO along with any others I was missing.

I too still have the longbox for FANDANGO and the others, though I'm getting close to dumping some of that kind of stuff, particularly the non-A&M, non-Beatles stuff. Things around here are too cluttered.

Harry

Steve Sidoruk said:
Does anybody know what A&M album was the last to be packaged in a longbox? Quite a bit was made of it at the time, as it was another way that A&M went "green" at the time.

I'm thinking it was Sting's Soul Cages CD. I remember there was some kind of media buzz about that.

Capt. Bacardi

I didn't realize the Sting box had the "last longbox" note on the back.

I do remember seeing FANDANGO in a store in the clear plastic blister pack. It could have been a re-pack though (somebody bought it and returned it without the long box).

KeithH said:
Rudy, your copy is safe. I think you know why.

Yeah, darn it. I really never played the CD that much, but somehow the last track got a very tiny scratch on it, on the label side...so the last track is pretty much unplayable. However, my LiteOn DVD-RW drive was able to read and error-correct the disc, so I really do have a good playable copy of it. Just not an original. *sigh*

This one was definitely a favorite album of mine--I played the LP so much, I really didn't play the CD all that often, especially since it lagged so long behind the LP release. In fact, I tend to pull out the LP rather than the CD when I want to spin it--the sound is better IMHO. (I played Side 2 that one time you were over...started with "Route 101".)

I have the Japanese pressed Fandango CD that was released in Japan. I know this because the title on the right side spine is in Japanese and there is an extra set of liner notes in Japanese too. It was issued as part of an “Audio Masters Plus Series” in 1989

Of course this doesn’t help KeithH in anyway because I have no intentions of parting with it; sorry Keith. :sad:

All the best,
Mike

Mike said:
Of course this doesn’t help KeithH in anyway because I have no intentions of parting with it; sorry Keith. :sad:

Helpful though--at least we know there was a Japanese release of it. Not that it's any less rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom