Suggestions on finding an authentic Herb Alpert Fandango CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rudy said:
Now I know why Keith charged me $5.00/minute last time I listened to CDs over there! :shock:

Your donations make it possible to keep the music spinning. Please pick up that phone now and make a contribution. Anything you can give will help ensure that KeithH is able to continue enriching the lives of millions with the gift of music for years to come. Won't you please make a donation?

:D

I got it! Fandango arrived yesterday! Unfortunately, I had a very busy evening and did not get a chance to give it a spin. Everything is pristine (well, the missing OBI strip may be pristine somewhere else). The condition is so perfect I'm afraid to touch it! :wink:

Anyway, :D

By the way, another seller listed a copy on eBay last night (Japanese issue, D18Y4122). Watch, now that I paid a lot for it after searching for months, it will turn out to be common as dirt. Actually, it would not surprise me this seller decided to list it after seeing what I paid.

Keith's just trying to demonstrate that he's only the second craziest person in the world!

:)

I actually ran across that auction the other day and meant to post something about it. There were no bids at the time - and that that price I figured there wouldn't be. Wrong!

Harry

I like the sales pitch copy in the listing - it's just a little overboard. I think FANDANGO is a great album but the best album Herb ever produced? I'd have to think about that one.

Yikes! :shock: I'll stick with my yard sale used LP of Fandango, thank you very much... I doubt the CD would sound 650 times better! :laugh:

In the Spotlight FANDANGO thread, I called this album a masterpiece. I suggested to get it on vinyl, digital, or even on an old cassette if you have to... That having been said, I did not say to mortgage your home and give away your firstborn!!! It's just an album. $650??? I don't think so.

My grandfather once told me, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Tony

Wow! I guess it’s time for me to sell my Fandango CD. I can easily live with a CD-R copy and my vinyl; especially if I can get $650.00 for the factory press.

What would Santa bring me for $650.00?

dcd1500ae_f.jpg

Maybe a new Denon CD player to play my CD-R copy of Fandango on?

Mike

Like Harry, I was sure no one would bid on that copy for $650. Wow. Crazy. What would the buyer have paid for a copy with the OBI strip? :wink:

Wow, am I ever glad I got a copy of it when it first came out! Does Herb realize what kind of money he's missing out on with this one? :o

manifan said:
Does Herb realize what kind of money he's missing out on with this one?

How much money would he miss out on if it was a Shout!Factory release for $14.99 when he can run an eBay "sweatshop" out of his home doling them out at $650 a pop? :laugh: Lani posts the eBay ad, Dore handles the sales while Eden seals the envelope and Aria takes it to the mailbox or post office...

--Mr. Bill

I am pleased to say that I obtained the U.S. Fandango CD today (A&M catalog number CD 3731). And no, I did not pay $650. :wink: My disc is a U.S. pressing and looks identical the disc that Harry posted a picture of on page one of this thread. I found the disc through the Amazon Marketplace. Everything is near-mint. Now I need to compare it to the Japanese D18Y-4122 disc.

KeithH said:
Now I need to compare it to the Japanese D18Y-4122 disc.

I have the Japanese disc, so please don't tell me it's inferior to the U.S. pressing; it'll just break my heart. :wink:

Mike

I'm guessing that the US and Japanese discs are sonically identical - but then again I've only ever heard the US pressing.

Harry

Mike said:
KeithH said:
Now I need to compare it to the Japanese D18Y-4122 disc.

I have the Japanese disc, so please don't tell me it's inferior to the U.S. pressing; it'll just break my heart. :wink:

Mike

I doubt the D18Y disc is inferior. I've listened to it quite a bit, and it sounds great.

As Harry said, it wouldn't surprise me if the Japanese and U.S. issues were identical.

Missing: one U.S. copy of "Fandango". :D

If mine wasn't damaged, I would have eBayed it myself.

Rudy said:
Missing: one U.S. copy of "Fandango". :D

If mine wasn't damaged, I would have eBayed it myself.

Yes, but if it went for $650 in pristine condition, then in damaged state it's still probably worth $50!! :twisted:

TonyCurrie said:
[Yes, but if it went for $650 in pristine condition, then in damaged state it's still probably worth $50!! :twisted:

Of course, that depends on which track is affected by the "damage" -- it may still net as much as $600! :laugh:

--Mr. Bill

As I recall from Rudy's prior description, his damage occurs in the last track - the medley.

Harry

Yep, the medley. I was able to use my LiteOn DVD-RW drive to rip the data though, so I have a clean CD-R of it. Go figure!

I still usually play the vinyl though. Sounds better (doesn't have that cold digital sound that most early A&M CDs have).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom