Susan Jacks

I have most of her recordings. I have the first two albums on vinyl: "Which Way You Going, Billy?" and "Poppy Seeds." I have the "Ghost" LP as well. I also have the Retrospective CD and I bought a CD of 4 of her solo albums on Amazon shortly after she died. I also have the Mercury singles, "Never Let Him Go" and "You're a Part Of Me." I recently recorded them on to CD and then created MP3s of them. I liked both of those singles a lot and I was hoping she would make an album for Mercury, as I liked what she was releasing very much. Turns out there was an album, "Dreams," although I didn't know it at the time. For some reason I understand that it was withdrawn. Never knew the reason why. The 4CD which includes "Dreams" and "Ghost" is very good.

I am one of those who has seen, and remembers, you (Harry) talk of and otherwise extoll the talents of the Poppy Family and Susan's vocals.

I admit to a cursory glance; I do not know why, but growing up in western PA I just do not remember much about them (the geography may be irrelevant, but it's where I lived at this time in music). Of course I know the song "Which way you going, Billy" and remember it all over the radio - but the band themselves just didn't "pop" for me. Who knows why. I was fast becoming a Carpenters devotee' at this time and maybe I just tuned them out. Dunno.

After listening to "Where Evil Grows" I remembered that one as well.

I am curious, Harry, why Wikipedia would refer to them as a "Canadian psychedelic pop group"...? I am not familiar with the totality of their catalog but from the few I have listened to, "psychedelic" doesn't seem to fit?

Lastly, as others have said here, I feel a bit more Agnetha in her vocals than Karen, but regardless, she has a soothing, beautiful voice and in retrospect I'm surprised I didn't know more about them at the time. From what I've read, their time as the "Poppy Family" was actually fairly short-lived, as they began recording separately in 1971 and were divorced, it seems, in 1973.

There are a few tracks that I'd consider bordering on "psychedelia",
There's No Blood In Bone
Where Evil Grows
Shadows On My Wall
Someone Must Have Jumped
...and maybe a few others. I think the latter two are mostly Terry Jacks vocals.

Their time was the early 70s. Psychedelia was a think then and many music tunes were created with the effects of drugs. The fact that they used Indian percussion (tabla) also points to that "kind" of music.

Back
Top Bottom