SWEET MEMORY JAPAN 6 CD Set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. My name is René and this is my very first post on this forum (after years of lurking).
Chris, it was me who bought the set you so helpfully posted almost two months ago. Thanks for that tip. I have been looking for this set for years.
The reason I'm only replying now is that I only got the set today! It's a rather curious story that has given me new appreciation for the song "Please Mr. Postman", I can tell you!

The Japanese sellers were really quick in shipping. Thanks to the tracking service I could follow the package in Japan and then in The Netherlands, where I live. It was held up at customs so I knew I'd have to pay extra. Sure enough, on August 23 there was a message from the postman. They'd been at the door with the package when I wasn't home. The package would be available at the nearest post office the next day and I would have to pay 26 euro's extra. I import a lot of stuff so I know the drill. Anyway, the next day I was at the post office and was surprised to hear they hadn't received my package. They advised me to try again the next day. But on that day the tracking service from our local post service said the package would be delivered at the post office somewhere between 9 AM and 9 PM. I decided to wait another day. But the next day the tracking service said "delivery time unknown". So I phoned the help desk. It turned out the package had been put on the wrong mail van and had been sent to another part of the country. It was now back at the distribution centre and the receptionist expected the package to be delivered to my local post office after the weekend. To make a long story short: nothing happened at all during that week, except that I got increasingly agitated. I filed a complaint and finally got a response: they had lost the package at the distribution centre. They were going to start an investigation and they recommended that I tell the Japanese sellers to also start an investigation.

By this time I was really going crazy. I finally find this set and now the mail fouls it up and loses it. The most irritating thing was knowing that it had actually been at my front door!
Luckily, the Japanese sellers were really cool about it and they offered to help. They even offered me a refund if it didn't turn up.

Then after another week or so the sellers mailed me that the package had been returned to them. Not a word from the Dutch mail service to me though! The sellers checked with me to make sure my mailing address was correct and then they sent it again. Again I followed its progress in Japan and over here. Before long there was another message from the postman. He had been at my door again and the package could be collected at the post office the next day. No mention of extra charges this time! This package has been around the world twice and the second time it went for free!
This past week was pretty hectic so I only got around to collecting it today. I'm so grateful the Japanese sellers had packaged the set so meticulously. Despite its trip around the world it was spotless, pristine.

I'm enjoying listening to the set. It's strange hearing these songs in new combinations. And I love the remix of "Another song". Cool to have that (and several others) on a compilation for once.

Sorry for the long post, but I just had to share this extraordinary story of post delivery woes. It makes this set extra special to me.
So thanks again Chris for the heads up. And thanks to all forum members for educating me through the years. I hope to join the discussions from now on.

Hello everyone. My name is René and this is my very first post on this forum (after years of lurking).
Chris, it was me who bought the set you so helpfully posted almost two months ago. Thanks for that tip. I have been looking for this set for years.
The reason I'm only replying now is that I only got the set today! It's a rather curious story that has given me new appreciation for the song "Please Mr. Postman", I can tell you!...Sorry for the long post, but I just had to share this extraordinary story of post delivery woes. It makes this set extra special to me.
So thanks again Chris for the heads up. And thanks to all forum members for educating me through the years. I hope to join the discussions from now on.

Timmerman, so glad to hear you finally received the package and that you are enjoying this compilation, especially after waiting "so-woh-woh patiently."

Nice to hear your story, Timmerman. I'm sure it all feels better now that it's safe and sound and in your hands. Enjoy the set - I know I enjoy mine.

Harry

That's an incredible story!! I'm happy to hear that it finally reached your destination. That is a 1st rate seller and well known for their service and they sell top quality Carpenters collectibles. I love this set, like you I had been wanting it for so long, for me it's the definitive CD collection. All you have to do now is create those 2 extra cd's to fully complete the set. :laugh: just kidding, it's an awesome set the way it is.

Offtopic: The Netherlands is where I got my hands on the rare original German Pressing of Christmas Portrait CD, I remember too worrying that it would make it's way over to the U.S. since I paid a pretty penny for that one, almost as much as the entire Sweet Memory series.

Offtopic: The Netherlands is where I got my hands on the rare original German Pressing of Christmas Portrait CD, I remember too worrying that it would make it's way over to the U.S. since I paid a pretty penny for that one, almost as much as the entire Sweet Memory series.

Yeah, we were lucky to have that German Pressing in stores here back in the nineties. I bought it back then as simply another Carpenters album I wanted to have. I had no idea it was such a special release. Just one of the many things I've learned from this forum.

Back on topic: a beautiful touch to the Sweet Memory set that I hadn't expected were the thick booklets that come with each disc. I adore the additional illustrations throughout these booklets. It makes the set even more special, a well-designed whole. Also, all discs are in slightly thicker jewel cases which I've only seen on other Japanese releases. It means these booklets aren't cramped inside the boxes like on "our" regular jewel cases. The only downside to these boxes is that they're hard to replace if needed. One of my Hayley Westenra CD's from Japan has a damaged box and I've yet to replace it.

This set appears again, but this time in a slightly different packaging. I have never seen it with slipcases, they look pretty neat. If you look closely the CD jewel cases are inside these slipcovers. A great price too!!

This is the way my set came - with six slipcases, one for each jewel case. Each slipcase has a die-cut hole where part of the artwork on the booklet shows through. The only printing is the logo and title and some fine print with the catalog numbers. I've always left them off, as they're tightly fitted making removal difficult, and thus really hard to see the track listing. They also take up a good bit more room on the shelf with those on. At present, I've stored them away with other CD longboxes.

Harry

Looks like this one SOLD!!
I'm not surprised...this is an awesome set. I hope it was someone here. :)
Chris, timing is everything. I just happened to check the forum minutes after you posted the eBay listing, went to the website and it actually had a "Buy It Now" option, and was able to purchase it. I'm surprised they didn't bid it out over a week, but am thrilled. Being a "completist" like many others here, I'd been trying to secure this for some time. Sincere thanks for posting the listing....Christmas is coming a little early this year!

Chris, timing is everything. I just happened to check the forum minutes after you posted the eBay listing, went to the website and it actually had a "Buy It Now" option, and was able to purchase it. I'm surprised they didn't bid it out over a week, but am thrilled. Being a "completist" like many others here, I'd been trying to secure this for some time. Sincere thanks for posting the listing....Christmas is coming a little early this year!

Yep, that's exactly how it went for me too. I was expecting to have to bid on it but it was "buy it now".
Passenger, you're in for a treat. Apart from the stunning presentation of the whole set, it's a truly interesting collection to listen to and the sound - as far as I can tell - is great. It is especially cool to hear album cuts that haven't been on countless other compilations before. I get some curious and sometimes exasperated looks when one of those tracks comes by and I'm like "oh cool!", haha. Anyway, enjoy the set!

That's awesome, Passenger!!! So happy you were able to purchase, this is a reputable seller in Japan that sells a lot of rare Carpenters sets and they know their prices....this is where I purchased my set as well. Please let us know after you have had time to listen and come back to give us your review. I'd especially like to hear how you like those special covers for the jewel cases, I had never seen those before, mine did not come with them and I think they add a special touch. I'm like most of you....I've been wanting this set for a long time and finally after all these years I got it. Sometimes good things come to those who wait!! :laugh: :)

That cool, I'm not surprised as these are hard to find in the U.S. I didn't know that those slipcase covers also have the Carpenters logo embossed at the bottom, I think it gives them an added polished look to the case.

I received mine a couple of weeks ago. Each of the six CDs were in the individual slip covers with the center circular cut-outs, but not in the envelope-type cardboard box referred to earlier. The CDs, inner booklets, slip covers....everything is pristine, looks brand new and sounds phenomenal. I downloaded them all into my iPod in a single playlist in their order....91 tunes total, and have been enjoying continuously during any free time. As others have mentioned, it's great hearing numerous album cuts not on any other compilations (Crescent Noon, Clancy, Turn Away, Boat to Sail, A Place to Hideaway, among others), always familiar but somehow sounding new, and hearing "Another Song" re-mastered for the first time blew me away. The only negative is all of the oldies from "Now and Then" having the DJ banter....I much prefer the clean, individual tracks on the Reader's Digest collection, and I would personally have left "Saturday" out of this collection, but that's just my humble opinion. DEFINITELY WELL WORTH THE MONEY. Between this set and the Perry Como Christmas DVD, it's like re-living their hey-days again. One can only hope there are more treasures still to come....

I do not have this set and it frustrates me to no end. Thank you Chris for your heads up as they become available. Haven't heard the remix of Another Song and if my hair was not an asset I'd pull it out!

I have to admit that I purchased the set this morning. I looked at it last night, and when it was still available this morning so I went ahead with the purchase. My apologies Song4uman!

At 5:30am I signed up w/EBAY and didn't have my paypal link. Had to leave for work and lo and behold PJW came along. Next time I'm ready. In all seriousness I truly hope you enjoy. Please lemme know your thoughts on the set.

It's sold.

(Psst. I think "muff" and Chris are in cahoots!) Just kidding.

Harry

Ha...no relations...although I think I should get a cut, huh? :laugh:

That's cool PJW, let us know what you think when you get it.
Jeff...sorry not so cool, huh? Well there's always next time, it's neat that we are seeing more of these pop up recently, my guess is since these were mail order only that the Japan fans are letting there sets go for quick cash sales which is good for us since there rare over here in the states.

I'm looking forward to it. Still looking for that elusive 1984 "Yesterday Once More" from the UK. Now - that would be sweet, but I couldn't even find it when I was in the UK!

Ha...no relations...although I think I should get a cut, huh? :laugh:

That's cool PJW, let us know what you think when you get it.
Jeff...sorry not so cool, huh? Well there's always next time, it's neat that we are seeing more of these pop up recently, my guess is since these were mail order only that the Japan fans are letting there sets go for quick cash sales which is good for us since there rare over here in the states.

I received the set the day before Thanksgiving. Shipping was very quick and it is in very good condition packaged extremely well. It is without the sleeves or original box. Inserts are in the cd cases and appear to have never been taken out. I've been so busy with the Holiday I've not had a chance to start listening to them. Excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom