1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Television or Radio Commercials Featuring Carpenters

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by GaryAlan, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Honolulu City Lights

FL
    I must have missed this post, I don't remember hearing these radio ads...very cool to hear these.

NowhereMan and newvillefan like this.
  2. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Another advertisement from the great UK, Their Greatest Hits:

3. GaryAlan

....Offering.....

Matthew Smith likes this.
  4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

It’s interesting how the narrator and even the titles half way through only mention CD & Cassette, but at the end the titles also mention a LP version being available.

Another interesting thing is how “Jambalaya” was the second song to be shown on screen when they were listing the song titles.

5. GaryAlan

^^Yes, I had noted such about Jambalaya
    when those song titles 'crawled' across the screen (Listed first and preceding Close To You).
    Yet, it did reach #12 and charted for 12 weeks, not too bad !
    They performed it in 1974, TV Talk of the Town.
    They performed it in 1976, at the Palladium.
    Apparently, UK enjoyed
    Jambalaya !
    As do I !

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

That’s definitely an Aussie doing the voice-over, not a British person. :) Of course, it could be an Aussie working in the UK.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I think it’s probably an Aussie ad. Definitely an Aussie voice-over, (although he tries to posh up his accent a bit, the way he says “Out now”, a bit unnaturally :) )

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Somewhere, I have the following TV ads on original television station video cassettes:- UK ‘Interpretations’ ad; UK ‘Only Yesterday’ ad; Japanese ‘Karen Carpenter’ ad, (no unique footage, folks); Japanese ‘Live at the Budikan’ video ad; UK ‘Trying to Get the Feeling’ promo clip; and ‘Very Best of the Carpenters’ had an Aussie TV campaign with a number of snippets of film clips back in 1982. (I don’t have this last ad). I think I ordered all of the others through Goldmine in the 90s, pre-internet.

9. GaryAlan

Brian likes this.
  10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Yes! I wonder why so many titles. Btw, “The Singles 1969 -1973” also had a poster-flat in Australia - from memory, a bit bigger than 12” x 12”. ‘Very Best Of” and “Their Greatest Hits” also both had poster campaigns, both 36” x 36”. I think ‘Lovelines’ even had a poster campaign.

11. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

I don't know very much about TV down under, but wouldn't this logo at the very end (TVNZ) indicate New Zealand?

TVNZ.jpg

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I think you’re right.