The Carpenters from a Man's Point of View

You've got good instincts along with your good taste in music. Maybe that's what draws us together when it comes to Carpenters music and what makes us purveyors of that legacy.

Carpenters music and their personal lives is catnip for someone who thinks like I do; thinking about how they're lives informed their music, and vice Versa, then how their musical/personal ethos shaped (and shaped by) the American collective cultural consciousness.

I personally don't get into the lives, deaths, sexuality, personality, politics, etc. etc. etc. of my musical choices. It's all about the sound and the songs. I have friends who quit listening to Elton John when they found out he was gay. That's ridiculous to me. That doesn't jibe with my personal sexuality, but he's still a good musician!

I will admit though, that I've never really worn my Carpenters fan-hood on my sleeve. That started way back when I was in high school and my sisters were into the Carpenters, so anything they liked, I didn't like by default. After adult-hood it just became matter-of-fact...I will play a Carpenters album at work sometimes, but I don't go around trying to convert other people into fans. I have all the music, but I don't have a Carpenters shrine in my house. But then, I never really did that with ANY music. When I was selling music, I'd recommend things based on what the customer wanted, but that's about all.

Sure, but it's interesting to wonder why, because in doing so, we learn more about not just Karen Carpenter but about ourselves as fans of her work, people who are touched so deeply by it. It's all good.

Carpenters music and their personal lives is catnip for someone who thinks like I do; thinking about how they're lives informed their music, and vice Versa, then how their musical/personal ethos shaped (and shaped by) the American collective cultural consciousness.

I'm not in a talkative mood now, but what you say rings true in brain too.

That was a mouthful lol but I like it.

To get back on track, I think the art does indeed imitate, or at least reflect, the artist's life. It has to, to a certain point, if it is going to be genuine. The debate has raged on for years, though, over whether or not Karen was really living the sadness in her songs. I think she was to a certain extent, even though Richard insists that wasn't the case. I believe he is in denial to a certain point, and it is obvious that he is still baffled by what happened to her ultimately and how her life ended. I don't blame him. I am baffled too.

Unfortunately, that effect that her singing has on people varies depending on some of those preconceived notions about her life. I actually had a fellow drummer comment to me once that Karen's drumming was weird and that she played like a wind-up toy, no doubt because she was under immense pressure to perform. I asked him to explain to me what pressure he was referring to specifically, and to show me where it says she was under pressure to perform, especially when it came to the drums. She never glowed more on stage than when she was behind the kit, leading noted biographers like Randy Schmidt to surmise that making her get up and out front was one of the catalysts of her illness.

The fact that so many people shun Carpenters tunes or immediately feel sad when hearing them proves to me that life does in fact imitate art in most peoples' opinions, and vice versa.

This thread is not going well. Please keep it on track.

Back to the original question- I've been thinking about it. Perhaps some men also like the Carpenters because K&R were in such stark contrast to what else was musically happening at the time. For those who loved the vocalists of the 50s and the American Standards Songbook of decades past, Carpenters music was one of the few places in rock music where you could pick up and enjoy some of the same artistry.

I'm confused. I see various threads get way more off track than this one but nothing is said about it. But I don't make the rules here, I just follow them. I'm going to bow out of this one now. Sorry.

Other threads veer off track. That's OK as long as they don't veer into forbidden territory. This one veered into politics, and that is not permitted here. As such, it's under slightly closer scrutiny right now than other threads. This is the final word on the subject and we moderators don't appreciate being questioned. Our job is tough enough. Any more quibbling and the thread will be closed.

Does anyone know what the attendance was at Carpenters shows? Was it more male or female, or 50/50? I know that men tend to attend certain band's shows a lot more than women, Rush for instance, and this thread made me wonder if that predominately male response was there when it came to Carpenters concerts.

It was an even mix and spread across all demographics, from kids to grandparents. I was there and witnessed it myself.

No politics!
I second that Thanks Harry for Your Continuing Good Leadership. I will say for myself even after Karen's passing I still enjoyed the Carpenters music and no amount of bullying from anyone was going to derail me They never succeeded in that when they harassed me about Herb. BMB etc and fortunately over the years i dated a few Girls who liked their music so it gave us something to enjoy together sometimes one just needs to patiently find the more open minded and open hearted people. To share certain things with.

I didn’t know this either why do you think that is true? I know it can’t be that men can express their feelings easier than women because I’ve always heard it’s the opposite that women are always saying men don’t express enough emotions. I see a lot of emotions being expressed here about the Carpenters and most are from men. (I also think that’s great)

I think men have always been able to express their emotions, but in the past, have often been frightened to, because it shows `weakness`, whereas I believe it`s a strength!
over the years though and especially with mental health being more at the forefront, more men are talking more and expressing themselves more than they used to, which can only be a good thing. I for one have found that as I`ve got older, music effects me differently, as do movies and very often find myself being reduced to tears. perhaps as you get older you have a better appreciation for the stories or the lyrics and the meanings behind them, which may not have anything to do with whether or not you can express emotions any differently to the next person, but perhaps `maturity` helps you understand it better. Anyway, I think it`s great that men can say what they feel without being criticised or called names, so more power to us guys, we are only human :)

Great Post! Personally, I think women are more open and socialize more where as men hide more. The internet gives men a place to be vocal, but not too invested. The Carpenters for me, were the first 5 years, those first 6 albums. It was Karen's voice and the instruments used around her. Karen's voice brings such comfort. Their music is from my childhood which also is a huge reason. Once Passage came out, that was it for me. It was like night and day. Also, even when I was little, I thought people read too much into the whole "sad" thing. Seeing Karen and Richard on tv and other venues, one could see their natural sunny personalities, but the careers they chose put a dent in it. To put it simply, Karen's voice, Richard's piano, and Earl's oboe. Magic!!

Back
Top Bottom