• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The drumming on "It's Going to Take Some Time"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

I'll preface this post with my frequent disclaimer: I'm not a musician and I lack a music vocabulary. That said, I've noticed that the drumming on "It's Going to Take Some Time" is a bit different than what we typically hear on other Carpenters' tunes. I assume KC is doing the drum duties on this one since she pretty did it on the entire ASFY album. In any case, the drum fills on this tune seem to come in off the beat. I have a pretty good sense of rhythm but I have a hard time tapping my fingers to the fills on this song because they're so different. Can someone here explain what's going on?

Also, the cymbal/high-hat work on this song always catches my ears, especially near the end when she matches the rhythm of the words "And it's going to take some time" on the high-hat when they're sung for the last time. It's one of those little touches that make the song sparkle for me.

I'll preface this post with my frequent disclaimer: I'm not a musician and I lack a music vocabulary. That said, I've noticed that the drumming on "It's Going to Take Some Time" is a bit different than what we typically hear on other Carpenters' tunes. I assume KC is doing the drum duties on this one since she pretty did it on the entire ASFY album. In any case, the drum fills on this tune seem to come in off the beat. I have a pretty good sense of rhythm but I have a hard time tapping my fingers to the fills on this song because they're so different. Can someone here explain what's going on?

Also, the cymbal/high-hat work on this song always catches my ears, especially near the end when she matches the rhythm of the words "And it's going to take some time" on the high-hat when they're sung for the last time. It's one of those little touches that make the song sparkle for me.

Actually, the drums were played than none other than the great Hal Blaine, as this covers many of his signature fills. Basically the song is in 4/4, and the arrangement is written with multi-syncopation. In lay terms, simply means that Richard has Hal varying up the rhythm or "beat" for the sake of creativity and lack of predictability. :)

Thanks Chris! So Hal is drumming on this one. Didn't know that. The "multi-syncopation" is a nice touch, for me anyway.

Listening to the vinyl 45-single,
versus that which appears on
The Singles 1969-1981 CD,
I must say that my ears much prefer the 45-vinyl.
In fact, I almost enjoy the song....now.....

Listening to the vinyl 45-single,
versus that which appears on
The Singles 1969-1981 CD,
I must say that my ears much prefer the 45-vinyl.
In fact, I almost enjoy the song....now.....
Sorry, but what? You didn't before? This is like my thought that you don't have to like a villain. Loathe a villain. Love the show, song, etc.

That song got me interested in playing the drums, actually! I loved mimicking every rift... and that closed high-hat bit at the end... Sweet!

It would be really interesting to catalogue who played drums on each track. Some albums are easy to single out who was playing drums, 'Ticket To Ride' & 'Now & Then' are examples.
But when it comes to other albums, it's not so easy to tell who is playing the drums. This is of interest to me as I was convinced Karen was playing drums on 'It's Going To Take Some Time'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom