• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The History of The Carpenters Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I was never apart of the Carpenters fan club.

Can someone outline for me all about the club. Was there 2 separate clubs? An official one & a non official one? I know there was an official one that Eveyln Wallace was part of, cause I have a letter from her on Richard Carpenter stationary when she wrote me a letter. But was there also a Internet Fan Club? Or was there just 1?

Since I was not apart of any type Carpenters Fan Club, I don't know much about it. I understand from reading here & from Ran's old board that there were fan club newsletters, I've read a few of them from some link on the web awhile ago but I don't own any of them.

If someone has time, I would love to hear about it from someone that was apart of it. The more details the better. Also WHY did it disband? When did it disband? Was Richard apart of the fan club? After it disbanded why didn't he keep it going?

Thanks in advance.

N.P. Close to You, Little LP 45, online...

I will comment on what I know about the fan club(s) and hope some others chime in to clarify and tell us more. I know there are at least two members here who were once involved in the fan club operations in some capacity.

The Carpenters International Fan Club (direct from Downey) began in 1971 with Harold Carpenter, who I believe was serving as president, and Evelyn Wallace, the secretary. Ev composed the fan club newsletters, which are now archived on a wonderful site by Rocky Kurita from Japan.

Evelyn told me it was mostly Karen who provided the information about the details from the road or in the studio. She would consult Karen and Richard to confirm all questions sent in from members before publishing the answers in the newsletter. For a period of time in the late 70s or early 80s, Rosina Sullivan, another Carpenters secretary took over the writing of the newsletter. I believe Ev came back to writing after Karen's death. Although there are various innacuracies, for the most part the newsletters are fact filled and altogether one of the BEST lasting histories of the Carpenters. VERY informative! Rocky's site with the Newsletters can be found at:

http://gifu.cool.ne.jp/gpda/cp/e/data/letter.html

According to Evelyn, Richard wanted nothing to do with the fan club after Karen's death and ordered it closed. It was A&M Records who urged that it remain, as it was really the record label's only link to the Carpenters fan base. It remained active until 1989, a time when it was overwhelmed with new membership requests following the airing of "The Karen Carpenter Story" on CBS.

After that -- this is where I need help!

I know there was a semi-official Carpenters fan club headed by a gentleman named Jerry Crenshaw. Evelyn told me this group had planned a convention but Richard did not feel it was well-organized and it never occurred. They had some informative newsletters, which I have copies of somewhere. That club was then turned over to another fan named Joe Cormier and continued to produce nice publications but that came to an end somewhere around 1994, I believe, Who knows for sure? I was told Richard was not happy that the club began offering videos of TV specials, etc. to the fans and withdrew any contribution he had been making -- does anyone know if that was the case?

Around that time the Internet began to expand and the Carpenters board on AOL was one of the first online groups, I believe. I started the Newville Avenue Carpenters Mailing List in the summer of 1995 and it grew to over 600 members online by the time it disbanded in 1999. We had just finished the successful Carpenters Celebration in Downey and my new baby daughter arrived! I was devoting several hours a day to managing the list and felt my priorities should be with my family instead. I also felt it would be better to end it on a GOOD note (the Celebration) than something not so good -- as we see on mailing lists all too often!

Richard has not endorsed any fan clubs in recent years and I doubt he ever will. He has had a number of negative experiences when working on various projects involving fans in the past and that seems to have ruined it for any of us here today! Oh well... here we are in this great forum. Can't beat that!

I am looking forward to learning more about the fan club histories!

Randy

An excellent start Randy, Thanks for providing the link for the newsletters, I bookmarked it & will attempt to read all these this coming new year. Also thanks to Rocky Kurita from Japan for providing these via internet.

EDIT:

On Rocky's site, it says I can download all the newsletter, when I click it it says the file name is: let.lzh, windows ask me if I want to allow this, this is ok right? Also how will this download? Is it a zip file? Does anyone know how many pages this would print out in word? I just never heard of this kind of file name before. Just thought I might want to print them & can read them later at my own leisure. Thanks for the help.

Well,

I joined the fan club in 1971 at its inception. I still have all of the newsletters that were written by Ev and Rosina. One touching thing the F/C did was to send Karen's "remembrance" card from the funeral along with the pic of the inner sleeve of Made In America. I was deeply moved...it seemed so final. In any event, the letters often times would tell stories of the road, touring, recording and things like Karen had to blow dry her own hair when for some reason the hairdresser was a no show. They told us in 1975 that Karen had lost a great deal of weight and a European tour was cancelled due to her exhaustion and recuperation. In 1979 they did not mention ANYTHING about Quaaludes and instead said they were on a much needed vacay. No mention of Karen collapsing on stage. Never anything terribly personal. Usually topics that were "safe" to discuss. They detailed date, time and place of concert appearances as well as which records went Gold and chart positions etc. However, my fondest and dearest memory of the Downey Fan Club came in the winter of 1978 when I wrote the F/C and told them that my Grandmother was going to fly me anywhere in the country that K & R were playing. In response I received a letter addressed to David Alley (then manager or something) stating trhat I was to have a backstage pass at the Lake Tahoe concert at Harrah's February 17 of '78. Well, not only did I have a backstage pass and an opportunity to meet Karen and Richard, but I had the "best-seat -in the house" come showtime. Center stage from where Karen descened three steps and asked me if I wanted to sing "SING" in the audience participation part of the performance. I was mortified as they had taped this in real time and then played back all of those people who indeed sang "Sing". I just knew that due to nerves and astonishment I was the one off key. My big chance and I think I blew it. Anyway, meeting Karen, in particular, was the single most happy memory that I cherish to this day. She was kind and polite and although I was 5'7", she appeared rather short. I guess I expected someone taller. I assumed with that voice that it would come out of a Larger person. Let me say that Karen never looked lovelier. She was not thin and had a cute figure. She wore a satin skirt and blouse when I met her outside her dressing room the first time. I returned for a couple of Autograph's and found her dressed in something of a white, flowing silk robe. I told her that I had 3 copies of each record and she said"Wow! You are a devoted fan, aren't you! I then sheepishly and with much trepidation...you have to understand I had just turned 15 Years old...I said UH UH UH Karen, Can I shake your hand? At which time she graciously offered me her delicate hand and placed it into my sweaty, shaking hand. I felt stupid, but I was MYSTIFIED at her beauty and how pretty she was. The closest thing to real life, insofar as how Karen looked...is the HORIZON cover. This is much the same way her hair and figure were. Just lovely...astonishlingly so. Fortunately, This was to be the final tour the duo embarked on and if there was a God, I know He certainly put me in the right place at the right time.

I have many other fond memories of the club. Keepsakes offered...like Stationery embossed with the CarpenterS logo...brass belt buckles,pendants, posters silk scarves, t-shirts, letter holders, music books. The 45's of Merry Christmas Darling and Santa Clause is Coming To Town, at a time when they were unavailable to me or anyone else for that matter. Pencils, pens, patches, book covers, tour programs. I could go on and on. It was a wonderful and satisfyingly rich experience for a boy of seven to begin collecting. I still have all of these little treasures...safely held and guarded in a protective space. My CarpenterS memories are to be cherished for a lifetime. When I had nowhere else to turn, Karen's sweet voice and harmonies offered me reprieve. I am forever grateful that I possess these thoughts. Grieving...yes alot of grieving. 20 plus years of it. I'm sure all of you friends at the corner understand the pain of loss. Thank goodness she left a vocal legacy that we all can share and enjoy forevermore.

All the best in the coming year all!

Jeff

Jeff,

What an incredible post. I felt like I was there... is there any chance you were able to take any photos during the Tahoe experience??? I would love to see Karen the way she looked when you met her.

Randy

Randy, I think you were bieng too modest. :oops: I know from being a Newville Avenue member that you have contributed your collection to various Carpenter projects, and that you were in the lead of organizing the 30 year convention. Some members here who were not part of Newville Avenue might like to hear about the convention and Richard Carpenter's visit. :agree:

Well, I didn't want to go too fa into that since the post was really regarding the fans clubs... not so much Newville. That really came along after the whole fan club thing sort of fizzled.

I will try to take some time in the near future to tell some about the convention. I wish there were another one planned for the 35th Anniversary this year! In the meantime, maybe someone else who attended the event in 1999 would want to tell about it -- I saw it all from the "behind the scenes" angle and didn't really experience it like the attendees did -- although I had a GREAT time!

Randy

close2u said:
I started the Newville Avenue Carpenters Mailing List in the summer of 1995 and it grew to over 600 members online by the time it disbanded in 1999.

1. Randy, exactly what did the Newville consists of from 95 to 99? Was it like a fan club membership or was this just an Mailing List of monthly info letters? Who provided the info & where did the info come from? Was it much like Yuko's site now, how she manages to get info direct from Richard.

2. Did Richard know about the Newville Mailing List? Of course the Newville Mailing List does sound familiar to me however I wasn't part of it so I really don't know much about it. I know that you have met Richard & spoken with him before so I assume he knew about the Newville Mailing list?

3. Don't you think that some fans could have taken it the wrong way with regard to Richard not wanting anything to do with his fan club after Karen passed away? I can understand him grieving & not wanting to be apart of it but I can only wonder if it could have turned into something positive for him by drawing closer to the "fans" within a common bond.

Okay, you asked for it. I am supposed to be doing lesson plans for the next two weeks but this sounds more fun...

The Newville Avenue Carpenters Mailing List was primarily just that -- an online mailing list for fans to correspond. It was my goal to make it be more than that so in the beginning I did all I could to keep it growing. We had just 30 members for the longest time. In those days I did a lot of email newsletters with info I would receive from Evelyn Wallace or through other (very limited!) sources. I would also do occassional trivia quizzes and reprint some of the fun things I'd dig up in the old Downey fan club newsletters. During these days (it is HILARIOUS to think about this now...) but the list was run MANUALLY! Yes, everyone sent their messages to me and I would go in every night and forward them out to everyone on my "master list" -- can you believe that? Well, my university email guru couldn't and contacted me saying "WHAT ARE YOU DOING???" Needless to say I figured out what a listserv was and got us connected with one. Wow! It is amazing what you can do with just a little listserv technology! LOL! Oh -- and we did have a website for the list... a wonderful
girl named Panpim who was studying Biology at Texas A&M hosted the site which included a lot of general Carpenters information, as well as the instructions for joining the list.

It seems as if I remember membership jumping to around 150 subscriptions next. By that time it seemed there were enough subscribers to keep the conversations going without my urging. And they were GREAT conversations. I wish we still had the archives of those days on Newville. Actually, it was very much like the posts here on this Forum. So many of the posts had a purpose and the writer spent TIME on their post before hitting "send" -- it made for some amazingly intelligent discussions on the lives and music of the Carpenters. Even though we had 150 subscribers it was still very much a neighborhood kind of atmosphere... very close and everyone knew everyone.

It was during the summer of 1996 that I hosted the first Newville "meet" in my college town of Weatherford, Oklahoma. I believe there were eight members in attendance with the states of Oklahoma, Texas and Indiana, along with one member from Canada. This was the first of a real trend around the country -- and world. There were several meets in Texas (Dallas and several in San Antonio) and an awesome one in New York where we travelled to New Haven to see the Carpenters' first home on Hall Street and treated her childhood friend, Debbie Cuticello, to dinner. What an amazing night!

Around this time (150 members/1996) I went to visit Carpenters landmarks in California and not only ended up touring the "Yesterday Once More" warehouse and car collection, but meeting Richard and Mary at his home in Downey. It was there I told him about our group (and even gave him one of our Newville T-shirts - he was shirtless when he visited with me so it worked well - ha!). He seemed to like what we were doing, thanked me for thinking enough of he and Karen to organize this... was surprised at my age (I was 20 or 21 then). I ended up visiting and touring A&M Records during that visit and when I got home couldn't WAIT to share the whole thing with the Newville crew. I still have a print out of that crazy email somewhere. In just a few days I received an advanced promo copy of Karen's solo album from the promotions guy I met at A&M, almost two months before it was released in stores! It was a great time!!!

The list just grew and grew and within a year it was up to over 600 subscribers where it remained. These meets that had started in one little Oklahoma town were mirrored in Japan and Argentina and who knows where else. Some of the larger meets occurred in 1997 and 1998 to coincide with Richard's concerts at the Carpenter Center. One of our luncheons in Long Beach had over 100 fans in attendance! There is nothing like meeting SO MANY FELLOW FANS! It's amazing! You never want to leave!!! (Well, sometimes... but that's another story!)

The success of the smaller meets gave me the idea to do a full-scale Carpenters fan convention. I worked with some of my closer Carpenters fan friends to start the planning and sought the help of others in the countries where larger populations of fans might be coming from. It took two years of planning to bring it all together. It was planned to occur in 1999, the year marking 30 years since the Carpenters' debut on A&M Records. We reserved much of the Embassy Suites Hotel in Downey and had one event planned at Downey High School, where attendees could see the new Carpenter Rally Stage. That was a big talent show for the attendees to perform Carpenters-related songs, acts, etc.

Other activities during the weekend included a Landmark Tour by bus stopping at the Newville House (we got to tour it and take our group picture out front -- my dream -- still can't believe that happened), the old Downey McDonald's, driving by the Lubec Street House owned by Karen and Richard, the Close to You and Only Just Begun Apartments, Downey Methodist Church and ending at the Carpenter Center in Long Beach. There, director Peter Lesnik gave us a full tour and a preview "speech" about the then-forthcoming Carpenters Exhibit. During our Friday night Disco Night we had a surprise visit from Richard and Mary Carpenter. Richard spoke to the group (all of us numb with fear and awe) and posed for a group photo with us. He hung around for a while and answered a few questions as he made his way through the mob. I remember holding the doors shut as he and Mary made their way down the hallway to leave... everyone was still chasing him with questions! We had lots of video showings, a great panel discussion with Paul Grein, Jon and David Konjoyan and Digby Diehl, and ended the whole thing with a Sunday afternoon picnic in Furman Park where young Karen and Richard first performed in Downey in 1963.

WHEW! That is the best I can do for a "thumbnail sketch"!

The same year -- 1999 -- my wife and I were expecting our first baby. I spent a LOT of time on Newville and had considered bringing it to and end. I felt the best years had come and gone for the list... we were starting to get a rare breed of subscribers trying to make trouble for everyone else and I wanted it all to end on a GOOD note. Upon returning home from the convention my daughter decided to surprise us all and arrive 9 weeks premature and was in the Neonatal Intesive Care Unit for 47 days. It was a real struggle and quickly made the decision for me. I need to spend time with Newville to keep it as good and strong as I wanted it to be but my family came first. I disbanded the group, I believe, near the end of August 1999. It was really sad for everyone because it was really our home away from home. I still miss the atmosphere of Newville but know it's not something we could ever really capture again.

The friends I made on Newville are considered to be lifelong friends. Many of them I am still in contact with on a weekly basis and we try to get together at least every year or so just to hang out. I think everyone who was on Newville long enough can say the same thing. These people became part of our lives and it is just amazing to me to hear stories of friends from different sides of the world who ended up flying to meet one another... others who met on Newville and married. Just amazing! It was really a special group of people and I will always consider those to be my best Carpenters moments.

Randy Schmidt

It's been great reading these stories/experiences. Very interesting reading. Thanks for taking the time to share these posts with us.

I love hearing about fan's encounters with Karen and Richard.

Anybody have anymore to share?? :)

Laura

Boy! I feel like I missed out on so much lovin' of the Carpenters. :sad:

Over the years my friends and family have had to put up with my obsession of Karen. Geez! If I had known about these fan clubs, I would have been right there with you all. :)

And Jeff? You lived my ultimate fantasy. . . to shake Karen's hand and just be there up front at her concert.

I did see her in 1975 in Denver. They enlisted first graders from the Denver Public Schools to join her on stage to sing, "Sing."
But Jeff, I would have sang "Sing" well, though.:cool: (just kidding)

Hats off to both Jeff and Randy for providing some of the most interesting reading I've done on this forum!!

I remember when the 1999 convention took place and was planning on going, but my mom fell and broke her hip, so I never got there! And, yes, I, too, was a Newviller!! Randy, you mentioned Panpim. Whatever happened to her? I know she ran a personal website featuring her family's pet dachshund. All of a sudden it disappeared. My husband and I are very fond of doxies and had several over the years. Perhaps, she went back to (Thailand?)

Marilyn,
who's always interested in EVERYTHING Carpenters!!

Hi Everyone,

I was a late member of the fanclub, but did manage to get in on a few of the memorabilia items. I got all of the newsletters, a concert program, the "Decade" booklet, and the membership keychain.

At the time, I was driving a Dodge Omni that quit running. I was actually using the keychain and my father sold the car and gave the keychain to the new owner of the Omni. I never did see it again, and boy, I'm still disappointed. :cry:

One thing that was kind've interesting. Something that I ordered was out of stock so they issued me a refund for a couple of dollars. The check was made out and signed by Agnes Carpenter, which I thought was cool. I never did cash the check, it just seem like a little keepsake.

Like some other posters have said, the newsletters are really informative and it's nice to have things so nicely documented. Even if they were somewhat glossed-over the info that is in them is awesome for fans.

Randy,

I forgot to mention that I knew of your club, but (unfortunately) was never a member.

I really wanted to go the the 30th anniversary, but was pregnant with what was to be our first child (unfortunately the pregnancy ended in a miscarriage). Anyhow, I was hestitant about going due to the pregnancy and I regret that I couldn't be a part of something like that.

We have been in California several times (and are going later this month). We usually visit Forest Lawn and still will since we have a friend entombed there. We actually met an older couple there while visiting the Carpenter memorial and have been friends ever since. Unfortunately, the gentleman passed away, but we will be seeing his elderly wife.

I stray - my husband and I have done the self-tour: high school, library, driving past the homes, church, etc. We've never made it to the performing arts center and it's not scheduled to be open while we're there.

It would've been awesome to meet-up and do some of those things with people who can relate to my passion for the Carpenters. My hubby, jumped on the bandwagon due to my appreciation for the music. He also read the newsletters and since he is a car buff has a respect for Richard's collection. Hopefully, another group with meet in the future and I/we can be a part of it.

Thanks.

Here is the address of the one that is still active

The Carpenters Fan Club
P.O. Box 3787
Thousand Oaks, CA 91359-0787

I was a member of the official Carpenters fan club, based in Downey, from 1982 to 1989, when it was disbanded.

During those years, I bought several posters and other memorabilias.

Bruno

I tried to email once or maybe twice for a chance to hook up with Panpim. Sadly, I never heard from her. All I remembered was she was intending to pursue her doctorate degree. Good luck, wherever you are!

kennyv said:
I tried to email once or maybe twice for a chance to hook up with Panpim. Sadly, I never heard from her. All I remembered was she was intending to pursue her doctorate degree. Good luck, wherever you are!

Panpim got her doctorate from Texas A&M, and then she moved back to Bangkok. She was teaching at Chulalongkorn University. I haven't heard from her in two years, so I don't know if she is still there.

Murray

Randy -fascinating capsule of Newville Avenue Listing -which shows just how many original fan club members and recent newer fans -still want to belong to Internet forums and attend meetings :cool:

Would be interested in knowing more about Richard's later Downey home -saw some of this on BBC Doc and on PBS Special -how large was the home inside ? Presumably you did not see Richard's mini-studio / Carpenters archive or else you would have been there for days ...... :!:

Probably the reason Richard does not start another official fan club is due to the potential huge membership and all the time this would entail with staff etc ....ideally Richard will authorise an official Internet site over the next few years for the fans to check info , new releases and download music -unlikely ever to be released on DVD ....we can only keep pressing Richard for such a site :rolleyes:

Peter

Peter,

According to an article in the Long Beach Press-Telegram, Richard's later Downey home (on Raviller Drive) was approx. 7,500 square feet. I only saw the entryway when I was there, although a friend of mine was invited over one evening and was able to see all the archival and studio areas downstairs -- I believe there was a whole room of just photo albums, all arranged chronologically. This in addition to the rooms of audio and video archives and the music room itself.

Randy

How fascinating ....from the description of the carefully arranged albums that ties in with late Ray Coleman's comments that Richard has thousands of tapes , demos, vinyl archive items in his library -collating Carpenters , Solo and other projects since 1960's :shock:

Most long term fans would be lost in this library for days ....happily :wink:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom