The Raes "Dancing Up A Storm" (A&M SP 4754)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
There was a Canadian husband and wife disco duo called the Raes. Their names were Robbie & Cherrill Rae. The song "A Little Lovin' (Keeps The Doctor Away)" went to # 61 on the Billboard Hot 100 Charts back in January of 1979. That was their only charted single in the U.S. The album "Dancing Up A Storm" went to # 161 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Charts back in April of 1979. The remake of "Oue Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)" is NOT on the album. Go to: www.canoe.ca/jam & hit the letter "R" to learn more about the Raes. Matthew Clark Sanford, Michigan

I'd forgotten about The Raes until XM Radio played the extended version of "A Little Lovin'" last week. :thumbsup: A&M didn't do much with disco compared to other labels, but this was one 12" single I picked up when it came out.

I'm not especially into 12" singles, so I got rid of most of mine a long time ago, but I do remember once owning a Canadian-pressing 12" of the Raes. I think the songs on it were "Don't Turn Around" and a disco remake of Supertramp's "School." Can't say I ever listened to the record much, though I find it intriguing that anyone would ever think to make a disco-fied version of "School"!

"School" is a bit dark to use as a dance song! Then again, Ethel Merman slaughtered quite a few songs herself when she "went disco". :laugh: (There are few disco songs that will send me for the remote--hers and anything by Michael Jackson will do it to me every time! :laugh: )

A lot of those original pressing 12" singles are worth a small fortune now. I've never gotten rid of any. In fact, I wish I'd bought more when they were available.

Rudy said:
A lot of those original pressing 12" singles are worth a small fortune now. I've never gotten rid of any. In fact, I wish I'd bought more when they were available.

Yeah, I was surprised myself how high the book values for 12" singles were the last time I picked up a Goldmine. It looks like most 12" singles from the late '70s and '80s go for at least the same value as the LPs the songs are from, if not even more!
Fortunately, I didn't have too many, so I don't feel too bad about getting rid of them. And most of them I had were promo releases by pretty no-name, never-made-the-charts, mid-to-late-'80s artists that I picked up for free in discard boxes at college radio stations over the years, so I can't imagine most of them were especially valuable.
Had maybe half-a-dozen 12-inches by substantially-more-notable artists, though. Had a promo 12" of Pablo Cruise's "Cool Love," which accidentally broke and which I'm still a bit upset about, 'cause I really love that song!

Ya think I would have learned! :laugh:

Columbia, at some point in the 80's, actually reissued some of their best 12" singles from the late 70's/early 80's...and I missed them then also! I remember buying a couple but missed out on a few others I wanted.

I lucked out many years ago. A DJ had quit the biz, and was getting rid of his duplicate copies of 12" singles. I found a couple in his list that I wanted, but I asked about others and he actually had those too. Not too badly priced either--I think we averaged about $7 each since I had a couple of rare ones in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom