• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The "Unreleased" Punch LP...Some Thoughts:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Mr Bill said:
A&M SP 4275

sp4275.jpg

Unreleased LP
Real Debut Later To Come
Four-Three-Oh-Seven...

--Mr Bill

Have to wonder about this unreleased effort... Surely some songs made it to this album, yet to be finished and some made it, which WERE... The actual album when it WAS finished was released in 1971, but it was intended or at least Proposed to have been issued in '70...

Some "finished" songs, possibly "ready" for the initial release:

Why Don't You Write Me: The Simon & Garfunkel song, which was a minor hit in 1970 and kicks off A&M SP 4307 (ALMOST-formerly: A&M SP 4275), trading on the group's four-part harmony... Seems basic enough, like the original...

Mayflower: The upliftingly, majestic 'Post-Flower Power Anthem' must'a gotten a few "slight modifications" after the delay... ...Just to make it a "Little", More Contemporary...

Blackbird: Trading on covering Beatles' songs just seemed "in vogue", 'least until around the time after they broke up... I'm sure Gary Illingworth's "cryptic" organ got added later on... As maybe their "change in Key" on the Vocals...

While My Guitar Gently Weeps: Mike Deasy's guitar solo, heard throughout the song (possibly after meeting and JAMMING with George Harrison) probably got added, and the song might have been made more uptempo, then; I'm sure the four intended this to be a ballad, like the original--I can only just imagine...

Travelin' Boy: Either put out on the 1971 release as you hear it...OR...a bit of a "demo", after Paul plugging his songs, thought this was an ideal number for this "New Group"; ...Remember, Williams didn't release his version until he recorded Life Goes On in '72, maybe just to distance himself from this would-be hit... The song centers around Bob Alcivar accompanying the group on piano, demonstrating the potential as Paul, suppossedly looks on...

Abraham, Martin & John/I Shall Be Released: Dick Holler and Bob Dylan, respectively... The "Natural", Acoustic Quality suggests this started off as a Studio Demo...

The rest of the songs probably got later-added on; there were also two non-LP singles, "Rhymes" and "Waiting, Holding On", both of which might have been made around this period, or proposed for a SECOND album, which has so far, still never materialized... Also issued and possibly intended for an LP-release, were a remake of Barry Manilow's "Sweet Life" (Though I can really imagine them doing the PAUL DAVIS song) and the Barry Mann-written "I Heard You Singing Your Song" on Bell... (Yeah MANN & MAN-ilow!) :laugh:

Really hope this Full-Blown Bones Howe-produced A&M Supergroup will one day go on CD, along with a story on how this came to be and what almost "was"...

Dave :neutral:inkshield:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom