• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Thoughts on "Passion Dance and "Colors"

Status
Not open for further replies.

david

I am curious what listeners thougths are of these two CD's. (Allthough I am sure a lot of opinions were posted when they first came out). There are songs from "Passion Dance" that I find appealing #4 Passion Dance and #8 Until We Meet Again."
"Colors" in my opinion is from another planet altogether. There is really only one song I enjoy, "Love at First Glance" which I thought should/could have had crossover appeal in todays market, but what do I know?
Regardless, both of these CD's continue to prove Herbs desire to stretch his creativity. I guess that is why I lsiten to them as much as I do, I hear something different each time I listen to each song.
David

For me, it's pretty simple...

For the most part, I like Passion Dance. And I agree with you on the song Until We Meet Again. Nice song, with Herb showing you how how he can really play a lovely melody, interpret a song with wonderful style and phrasing, and show off great trumpet tone... This is the kind of Herb Alpert I like to hear. Herb is the "Frank Sinatra" of the trumpet world...

I do not like Colors. Simply do not like the sound and style.

I would rather hear Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, anywhere from Lonely Bull to Beat of the Brass, than either of the above, however...

I liked Passion Dance a lot for the most part. I thought Herb really shined on tunes as "TKO", "Beba" and the gorgeous "Until We Meet Again". "Que Pasa, Mr. Jones?" is another favorite, mainly for the rhythm section and horn parts. Herb's solo on this tune was a little too "vanilla", but fortunately the trombone solo made up for that! :wink:

Colors, on the other hand, did very little for me. I did like a couple of tunes, most notably "Think About It" and "Colors". "The Look Of Love" was okay, but I didn't care for the way Lani's voice was (ab)used. This album was just too bottom-heavy. I keep trying to like it, but so far... :confused:

Capt. Bacardi

"Colors" was the worst of Herb, "Passion Dance" has no passion!
"Midnight Sun" should have been the last release from Herb. (It had that feel to it).
I think all the ALMO Sounds stuff is very dull. The only good thing to come from the ALMO Company was the brilliant group Garbage.
But still, Herb IS my FAVORITE artist of all time, regardless.

Both CDs have merit (IMHO). With me, it's a matter of listening with an open ear. In other words, Herb has taken many new directions since disbanding the Tijuana Brass. Even the Brass reincarnations sounded different than the '60s material. As such, rather than expect a certain formula or sound, I look on each new release as a personal expression. In reality, I look at Herb as an artist of all sorts. To me, it seems natural that his individual projects would become an expression of his diverse artistic expression.

Jon

I agree that Herb is a creative personality and that he has managed to explore a variety of expressive directions over the years. I am sure that the last thing he wants to do is reprise the TJB over and over.

However, my personal tastes and personal likes/dislikes in music do not allow for me to admire each and every direction he has taken.

I admire Herb Alpert very much as a musician, trumpet player, band leader, and businessman.

There are certain types of "music" that I simply do not like. Among these are rap, hip-hop, techno, disco, and what might be termed "urban." When Herb has ventured into those areas, he lost me as a listener and a buyer of those recordings. That is simply a reflection of my own opinions and tastes.

When the drums and bass take over as the focal point of the music, and the rapping style and beat move in, I'm gone... :wink:

"North On South Street" didn't bode well with me. I have to be honest. It wasn't my favorite Herb Alpert offering. Talk about drums and rap moving in on the music!!

I agree with you, though, and should have made myself more clear. Like you, I appreciate Herb as an artist, musician and businessman. I guess my point centers more around his artistic expression. Some responses within the thread leaned toward the Brass sound as being the only sound -- something which has been extensively discussed here in the past.

Like you, I have my likes and dislikes. I do, however, like a little something about everything. Although nothing comes to mind in regard to "North On South Street", I'm sure there must be something to appreciate...isn't there? :wink:

Jon

First off, addressing the topic of the thread, of the two, I prefer Passion Dance to Colors, though I can find something worthy in each one. I don't often visit the Almo Sounds material, though when I do, it's most likely to be Passion Dance, not the least reason of which is because the DTS version makes a great 5.1 sound demonstration disc.

Like others have mentioned, I find Colors too heavy in the bass - and I'm afraid of blowing out a speaker! There are some things I like about it, but overall, I prefer the Latin setting on Passion Dance more.

As for North On South Street, I used to dismiss that as being 'not really for me' until one day on the old board when our friend Paula suggested I give it another listen. I did just that and found myself warming to it a good bit more. Over time, I can't say it's a favorite, but it went up in my estimation, just by giving it a chance. I've found that to be true of a good bit of Herb's solo material - it may not grab me on first listen, but with time and exposure, it grows on me.

Harry
...who saw the Lunar eclipse last night, online...

North on South St. is actually quite a groundbreaking recording, one of the first if not the first of its type. It was awkward on the first few listens, but it takes time to absorb everything happening there.

Passion Dance is actually quite a good salsa album...chances are you won't like other salsa if you can't get into this one. It's not as hard-core salsa as something like Eddie Palmieri would do. (But come to think of it, that would make for an interesting pairing.) Second Wind is a good fusion-styled album that gives Herb a lot of blowing room. Colors I just didn't get. Maybe I need to give it another chance...?

Even Just You and Me is a love/hate album for many listeners. It's one of my favorites, even though I find it a dark recording at times.

I would have to agree with Harry and Rudy on "North On South St." It is jarring at first, but it has sure grown on me. One of the extended versions
of "Jump Street" makes me move. "Funky Reggae" is a fave. The 'live" sound of it make me think of an updated Herb and Hugh "Main Event" kind of thing. The album still sounds fresh in it's own way. Not your father's TJB though.

"Colors" is slowly growing on me, and I keep listening to selected cuts I like. The cover of Marvin Gaye's "I Want You" I do enjoy. Too bad Lani's voice wasn't the true focal point of "The Look Of Love" in production and arrangement. The cd's cover jarred me at first seeing Herb's face being used in one of his own abstract works. I appreciate the piece that he created, I just didn't want it as a cover, as an inner sleeve work I would've appreciated it more. As a side note, I always thought Herb got "Magic Man " right the first time.

"Passion Dance" is a treat I enjoy more and more, and I agree with Rudy. The 5.1 DTS-CD mix of it is excellent. The album is fun, danceable, and accessable. If I heard a 5.1 mix of "Colors" I would like that album more. The update of "Route 101" is fun but doesn't make me forget the original. A good overall package.

I am a "Second Wind" fan, the title cut I love. He sounds rested and relaxed. I like hearing him noodling around trying things. Also plays open more. Maybe that's my main problem with "Colors"-it does have a great rhythm section but a mostly MUTED Herb. Same reason "Midnight Sun"
slightly frustrates me, too heavy on the mute. "Fragile" from "Under A Spanish Moon" was a perfect balance of both in one song. his open horn sound made him, and does it for me.

As for the other controversial Herb set, "Just You and Me." I love the whole album unitil I get to "The Day Will Come." I'll still take over anything Kenny G anytime, but if I'm ever getting grilled by the authorities and they're trying to make me talk, playing this song will
make me. "I Belong," should have been on this album in it's exact
place. Sorry for the "Coney Island" slam but I would have loved "I Belong" to have belong somewhere else. I would have apprrecaited another Julius Wechter or Dave Frishberg original, in other words a real TJB cut. Try putting the TJB single "Whistlestar" at the end of "Just You and Me" instead of "The Day Will Come" and you'll like the album better.
"Whistlestar" works better than "I Belong" on the end of "Coney Island."

Didn't mean to get off on a rant.

James

NP: "Promenade" then "Musique"
(with "The Day Will Come" not coming!!)

Interesting topic--the remakes. To me, I've always liked the original versions of the re-recorded songs..."Up Cherry Street" (from South Of The Border and You Smile), "Route 101" (Fandango and Passion Dance), "You Smile -- The Song Begins" (from You Smile and Magic Man) and even "Magic Man". On the other hand, I prefer the Second Wind version of "Flamingo" to the original, which never did much for me (and I've heard it all my life).

Of the three ALMOSounds discs, I like Second Wind least. I would venture a guess that I prefer Passion Dance slightly over Colors. All in all from Wild Romance on I've been disappointed over all with the solo product though there are individual tracks here and there that I really enjoy...

--Mr Bill

"Passion Dance" is my favorite HA album in a long time. I've never really heard anything good about "Colors" so I haven't bought it.

I have a question: How many units of "Passion Dance" and "Colors" do you think or know have been sold? This might explain why there are not more HA albums.

Happy Veterans Day! :usflag:

Later...Jay

Evidently, Passion Dance and Colors have sold less than 500,000 copies each. In fact, the last gold record of Herb's in the database of everybody's favorite organization, the RIAA, was Keep Your Eye on Me, certified June 1987.

Keep Your Eye On Me was also fueled by a Top 5 hit and the popularity of the Jimmy Jam/Terry Lewis production team. Even if I weren't a Herb Alpert fan, I would have bought the CD for that alone.

Granted, Herb isn't quit considered a "jazz" artist, but the size of his audience is similar...at least for his solo recordings. To put it in perspective, a best-selling jazz CD is lucky to sell 50,000 copies. These days, you're lucky to sell over 10,000...many jazz releases sell far less than that, even. So it's no wonder labels don't want anything to do with "lesser" genres like jazz--the return on investment (especially for a huge record label with way too much over head) is often non-existent. And when they DO hit it big with something like a Harry Connick Jr., Norah Jones or Diana Krall, or push $moooth Jazz ad nauseum, you bet your sweet patootie they're going to milk it for all it's worth. One Norah Jones CD might support a dozen others that tank completely.

At this stage in Herb Alpert's career, he's not in it for money or gold records, and that's comforting. He's in a position where he can explore what he wants, and releases CDs to invite us along for the ride. :) If he never releases another CD of new material...so what? Yes, I'll be a little disappointed, but if he doesn't have "the muse" this year, why put out something just to please the fans and forgo any artistic integrity? I'd rather HE be happy with what he records. If we like it, that's another story (look at our varied opinions on his work even from 1962!)...but if painting is his "gig" for the time being, all the more power to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom