• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

TIME-Richard Carpenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I was playing this album tonight and for some reason I needed to hear it, it really touched me for some reason more than other times I've played it.

My interpretation may be wrong but I couldn't get over how some of these songs make me think of Karen, even though there is really only 1 song that is dedicated to Karen "When Time Was All We Had".....I really felt Karen in alot of other tracks. Maybe it's just the lyrics.

For instance:

Time-reminds me so much of Heather & other piano instrumentals only.

Calling Your Name Again-Richard sings: "I wake up in the dark, silence brings me to my senses I wonder where you are Then I feel a pain in my heart....I'm sure Richard has called for Karen & she's not there like she use to be...Then there is the lyric...Thinking of all that we two had before...I turn to see your picture then the tears begin to fall.....
(I guess I'm pulling the words out of context but this is just how I feel about the song)

I'm Still Not Over You- This is such a typical John Bettis Song....Opening with...."Just today I saw you smile & it took me back to yesterday"
"Father Time must be a friend of yours"
(I can't help but think of Karen) He is such a terrific writer & I miss him & Karen singing his words.

I fully understand that this was basically a solo album by Richard, but do other's of you think of Karen during some of the above songs? Not just the obvious When Time was All We Had.

I actually think that the many references to lost loves in the song choices on TIME may have hurt the effort. The album came out four years after Karen's passing, and even though Richard didn't write the lyrics, it may have sounded to some as though he was saying things like "I'm Still Not Over You".

Perhaps it's natural that a brother would so miss his sister and partner, but it's possible that the general un-sympathetic public might have read something into those lyrics, and after four years might have wanted to say, "get over it already."

Harry
NP: TIME, Richard Carpenter, LP version

Harry

I agree with your comment. Many people have also said how much of a missed opportunity it's been for Richard, not to have branched out into other things, writing film scores and the like - a career in music in a much broader sense, instead of beavering away for the last 20 years away polishing up the old albums and, ultimately, living in the past.

Well, maybe that's a bit harsh, I know without Richard spending that time, we wouldn't have Lovelines, VOTH, Old Fashioned Christmas.

But my thoughts remain the same - wasn't it Richard who said himself after her death, 'there was still so much music left in us'. He said it himself - what an awful waste of so many other talents besides album production.

Just listen to the instrumental scores on the second Christmas album, or the song 'Time' - these could have been the backdrop to TV movies, or epic productions that have been made in the past 20 years (a la Titanic, Ghost...).

I truly believe this is where he could have come into his own.

Stephen

I agree with your comment. Many people have also said how much of a missed opportunity it's been for Richard, not to have branched out into other things, writing film scores and the like-a career in music in the much broader sense, instead of beavering away for the last 20 years away polishing up the old albums and, ultimately, living in the past.
Execuse me, Stephen, but I must disagree with you. It's the fans who are living in the past, because they're the ones who want CD reissues of the old albums and "never-before-released" collections everytime. I'm sure he has a desire to move on with his life and start a solo career, but unfortunately, the artist's job is to please his or her fans, or they don't make any money. Being that he's now 57 years old, I believe, he should just put out some sort of solo album and have the attitude of, "Who cares if they don't like it". :roll

I'd hardly say Richard missed his opportunity in life. Yes sure he could have gone further, but who are we to say that he missed the boat? Surely not me.

Richard has accomplished alot in his life & I hardly think he is wrinking his hands wishing of things he might have done since Karen died. With Richard's money, he could have done anything he put his mind to. He obviously is content with all that he has done so far.

I can't say that I agree with all that has been written here. Some here have made it look like we fans are just hounding Richard everyday wanting wanting wanting & that Richard some how "has" to attend to our needs and that he is just sitting by waiting for us. I disagree with that.

Richard does what he wants & releases things on his terms not anyone elses. Obviously Richard feels comfortable continuing the legacy in his own way.

I have to agree with Chris. Richard does what Richard does. Can't say I blame him. He gets to spend a lot of time with his wife and kids. And, every other year or so, put out a compilation CD somewhere and add to his fortune, which allows him to spend more time with his family. Actually I envy him for that. Wish I could work less and spend more time with loved-ones.

From a "fan" point of view, however, I tend to enjoy his solo work. I would love to see him produce more, hear songs he'd written on the radio and performed by current artists, or hear his soundtrack to a movie. I would welcome another solo effort, too.

I think we all thought that those would be the logical directions Richard would go in and are surprised now that after all these years he hasn't gone there much. But what is, is. And I, for one, am not going to fault him for the professional care he's taken with the Carpenter's legacy. He's done a hell of a job keeping the integrity of their music alive.

Richard's harmonies on TIME have always impressed me as they truly show his mastery of the over-dubbing technique. I have never heard anything as beautiful as a host of CarpenterS emanating from the speakers.

Jeff

This topic brings back memmories
of how excited I was when it was
relased. At the time I was selling
Stereo equipment and the first
time I played it I had the volume
cranked on a 150watt 15" bass
reflex rack system, remember those?
Well when Say Yeah!!!!!! started
I almost fell on the floor! I was
not expecting that type of song
at all and although it is not my
favorite track, the rest of the
album is great. I also love RC
going to town with backing vocals.
I can't think of any artist who
could make backing vocals just
as interesting as the main vocal.
I wish Karen could have been the
one singing Only The Angles Know.
The backing vocals on it are just
awsome!
JIM

I just love the song Something In Your Eyes! This is the best song on there. I don't have the CD but I do have the promo 45. Stereo on both sides. :sad:

My favorite is Im Still Not Over
You. In my opionion its the best
lead vocal recording done by RC.
Its a great ballad that almost
leaves you feeling like the song
was about Karen. Dionne Warwick
does a great job on Im Not In Love
Alone. A song that was written for
Karen acording to the Ray Coleman
book. Andrew you should try to
get a copy of this CD, I know
you will love it.
Jim

I just listened to I'm Still Not Over You. It has a very good tune and is one of Richard's best vocal performances IMHO.

However, it sounds too much like other Carpenter songs. They all have a similar tune you know what I mean? All in all it is a good song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom