TJB in concert questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect, I beg to differ from the posting from Kenny where, in his opinion, he did not think Mr. Alpert donated the ticket proceeds from the October '69 concert to the Tijuana orphanage as a "farewell fans"-type end-of-concert-tour gesture.

The 1969 program notes inside the back cover clearly state that "All proceeds from this book will be donated to charities for underprivileged children", but those were just from the concert tour program, not the door proceeds. Mr. A. et al were certainly generous, but I highly doubt that ticket sale profits from every concert on the tour went to charity, just the proceeds from the book sales.

While the proceeds from the concert program sales were no doubt substantial, the profit from the last date's tickets was a pretty hefty chunk of change!

By the way, I deeply appreciate (and I'm impressed by) the ways in which all of you forum participants differ and agree to disagree with each other in the course of discussions. I applaud and commend all of you for the civility in which you communicate. It's a pleasure and honor to contribute to the dialogue here.

Oh, I thought you said he donated the proceeds from the tour program to charities, something I have seen mentioned not only on Herb Alpert's tour programs, but other artists programs as well. I didn't mean to say Herb donated the money from his tours to charity, just the proceeds from the tour program. I apologize if I gave that impression.

B-Dub (and others), your recollections almost make me feel that I was in the audience -- thank you.

Though there's been some discussion elsewhere concerning Herb's declining trumpet chops, circa 1967-69, it seems that his prowess in concert remained up to the task.

Given the fact that the TJB traveled with a first-rate sound system, I'm tantalized by the possiblility that somewhere, sometime, a quality sound-board recording might emerge. Or better, a good-sounding DVD of the farewell London performance. Probably a fantasy -- I'm content with the reissues, and memories contained in this thread.

I've learned from experience that using the best possible sound equipment for live performance can do a lot to control the vagaries and acoustic problems of less than ideal live performance situations. And, it allows the performer to be in control of the quality of the sound, rather than depend on unknowns that my occur when touring from place to place.

Moreover, when you are a top level recording artist, it becomes important to be able to give the public the best possible sound quality in concert.

One of the things I remember clearly about TJB concerts is that the sound quality was always clean and clear. Sometimes, I actually thought that I liked the live performance sound better than the sound on the recordings, if that cound be possible... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom