• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

TJB re-issue on CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d-fresh

Is there any hope that You Smile–The Song Begins and Coney Island will be released on CD? I had both albums in the 70's but got rid of all vinyl and since have tried to replace all favorites.

We've been told it will happen but with the passage of time, combined with the fact those two were not terrific sellers, it's looking less likely. But never say never....

As mentioned above, releasing these two albums would have to be for reasons other than potential sales activity.

I have often thought that Herb Alpert has "acknowledged" the music of the Tijuana Brass through the Shout Factory project, which provided Lonely Bull through Beat of the Brass, and the downloads of Volume 2, Warm, and The Brass Are Comin'.

Beyond that, who knows, but I wouldn't hold your breath...

These albums are more likely to be released as digital downloads instead of an actual CD. But that would be better than nothing.

Capt. Bacardi

Summertime & Warm seem like no-brainers for someone like Bruce Kimmel with his connections and skills to get the rights from Herb for a limited reissue CD pressing run. I would think that they would do well.

Captain Bacardi said:
These albums are more likely to be released as digital downloads instead of an actual CD. But that would be better than nothing.

Capt. Bacardi

I totally agree. I would be fine with digital releases of them.

CherryStreet said:
Summertime & Warm seem like no-brainers for someone like Bruce Kimmel with his connections and skills to get the rights from Herb for a limited reissue CD pressing run. I would think that they would do well.

I wouldn't expect to see anything released in the U.S. outside the Shout! Factory Signature Series. :o

At this point, can anything be done to persuade Shout! Factory to at least complete the basic Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass Signature Series by releasing "Volume 2," "Warm," "The Brass Are Comin'" and "Summertime" on CD? Semi-organized "popular demand," maybe?

Fortunately, I have all of the original vinyl TJB albums, but I also enjoy the re-mastered CDs and the re-packaging, including the informative picture booklets with the notes from Herb himself. I'd really like to add the (currently) unreleased ones to my collection.

Charles

Shout! Factory is limited as to what they can release by the ultimate authority, Herb Alpert himself. They have no power to release anything that he doesn't want released, and only license the recordings from Mr. Alpert himself.

I feel safe in saying that there probably isn't a single member of this forum who wouldn't want what you've requested. We'd all be first in line to order a VOLUME 2, WARM, THE BRASS ARE COMIN', SUMMERTIME, YOU SMILE-THE SONG BEGINS, and CONEY ISLAND in compact disc format.

It's just not what Herb wants - at this point in time. When and if he does, I guarantee you'll hear about it here first.

Harry

d-fresh said:
Is there any hope that You Smile–The Song Begins and Coney Island will be released on CD? I had both albums in the 70's but got rid of all vinyl and since have tried to replace all favorites.

Both are masterpieces!

It's always a bit exciting to see this thread at the top of the BEAT OF THE BRASS forum. I hope to read that Shout! Factory has announced a release date for them, but just another false alarm.

Harry pegged it in regard to Shout! Factory. The non-release of those cds isn't in their hands. They did a good job, and were always helpful(and timely) answering e-mails about their products. Too bad we were left with the download-only option for those remaining lps.

Yeah - it's too bad that Herb has made that choice - it's too bad that some of us have spent a great deal of money on the re-issues only to be left with gaps in the collection - and it's too bad that Herb doesn't listen to the people who have put him where he is Today - his fans

We've heard this whine before - it is old news that has already been beaten to death! Everyone else would probably like it, too. In the meantime, convert your vinyl! :shock:

Here, here!

Want SUMMERTIME? CONEY ISLAND? They were released in really nice stereo on LP, cassette, and likely reel-to-reel and 8-track. They're out there, fairly easy to find, if you don't already have them.

And I don't know about the rest of you, but my Shout! Factory collection of Herb Alpert titles has no "gaps". Some of these other titles don't exist in that series. (Yet.)

Harry

I think Herb has, in fact, listened to his fans...the millions who knew him as Herb Alpert of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass from the 1960s. The members of this forum who post here regularly comprise only a very, very small, infinitesimal fraction of all Herb Alpert fans - past and present - a mere "dot on the landscape".

Herb Alpert has released the Lonely Bull through Beat of the Brass albums, including the Christmas album. This series of recordings comprise the albums and music that the majority of Herb Alpert fans know, remember, and might be inclined to still buy 40+ years after the end of the popularity of the Tijuana Brass.

Most people will see the Lonely Bull as the beginning of the Tijuana Brass era and This Guy's In Love With You as the end of that same era. These recordings have been generously released now on CD - something I myself a few years ago never thought would happen.

So, I think Herb has acknowledged this significant period of his legendary career, and has provided the definitive recordings from that time. My opinion is that he has done all that would be reasonable to do with the Tijuana Brass, and that I am very happy that these recordings that I have owned for years in vinyl are now on CD. Not being a turntable owner for many years, I am pleased with the reissue as it stands, including the downloads, of which I have no problem whatsoever.

Sung to the tune of (the end of) "Up, Up And Away":

Suspending a redundant topic for sanity... Searching endlessly through pages for a thread that's hiding...

And if by chance you find yourself panicky... We'll give you a place for griping..., While Shout! Factory's deciding...

You'll be waiting there for a reissue of 'Volume 2'... In KRAYOLA KORNER!/Ignore Thread for a reissue of 'Volume 2'...

If you hold your horses, then soon you'll see 'Warm', 'Brass Are Comin' and 'Summertime' on CD... From Shout! Factory... From Shout! Factory...

'Warm', 'Warm', 'Summertime', 'Brass Are Comin' and 'Volume 2'--yes, 'Volume 2'...! Hey, Shout! Factory..., Hey, Shout! Factory...!

Dave :laugh:

Captaindave said:
The members of this forum who post here regularly comprise only a very, very small, infinitesimal fraction of all Herb Alpert fans - past and present - a mere "dot on the landscape".
BUT -- there are a lot more fans of the earlier time period who not only don't post here but don't even know this website exists. I'd venture to say that there are more fans of the TJB period than of Herb on his own. Not to say that both careers don't have merit. I just think the first one was a lot more popular.

there are a lot more fans of the earlier time period who not only don't post here but don't even know this website exists.
But are they buying CDs? My mom loves a lot of music from back in "her day" but I don't think she's ever bought any of it on CD. Not all fans of a particular artist are as fanatical as the few dozen of us here are! :)

mmm.... I can't help thinking that I am being a tad misunderstood here on the forum - I only want what everyone else here wants ( if they are honest ) and that is Herb's catalogue in full - if that is considered to be " whining " then so be it - and I don't care how many times this issue has been covered - I am not " beating it to death " I am just stating the way that I feel - what's so wrong about that? After all, this is a discussion forum and shouldn't that be the way the world goes round? I have not been abusive or anything - I am just telling the truth. Ok, Herb has made it known that Vol 2, Warm and TBAC are not his best work but to me they should still be included as a chronological part of the catalogue - otherwise it is incomplete isn't it? It would be like the Beatles missing out " Sgt Peppers " just because they felt it wasn't one of their "better" albums - there would be uproar! So what's the difference here? Come on - lets have more constructive discussion rather than unfair criticisims, everyone is entitled to their opinions in a fashion. We are all in this for the same cause after all? Come on Herb, if You are reading this Forum Please do the right thing for the fans that Love You and release these missing CD's - but no more downloads - Pleaase!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom