• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

UK Fans, This is For You..... Richard Set to Thrill Fans Onstage Live in the UK From Sept 2024

I would also say that the promotion for the live shows has mainly been through social media and I think the shows are selling really well just based off of that. There is nearly 9 months to go, so hopefully word will get out and I can see more sold out shows. Richard deserves to have this be a huge success. I love that he is doing this and I know the venues/locations outside of London are quite random, yet I am thrilled at the opportunity as never thought I would ever have the chance to see him live 🤩. I have been lucky to see Corrine Bailey Rae and Tori Amos this year. Next year is Richard Carpenter 😱🎉.

I haven’t seen any.
For me I saw it from a instagram story on the official Carpenters/Richard Carpenter accounts. I know there is a limited time they run for and it is possible it wasn’t live if you are subscribed to these accounts. This was my main source of information and I followed the links from there.

For me I saw it from a instagram story on the official Carpenters/Richard Carpenter accounts. I know there is a limited time they run for and it is possible it wasn’t live if you are subscribed to these accounts. This was my main source of information and I followed the links from there.
IMG_8737.png

A friend of mine saw it on a website and messaged me. Afterwards I saw it shared on Carpenter related groups on fb and Instagram

With just six months to go, are any UK fans here hoping he'll do something like this on the tour...even just one song?

I've seen a couple of venues are posting that it's two-hour show...wondering what it's going to consist of? Lots of story telling I'm sure :)

With just six months to go, are any UK fans here hoping he'll do something like this on the tour...even just one song?

I've seen a couple of venues are posting that it's two-hour show...wondering what it's going to consist of? Lots of story telling I'm sure :)

I can’t wait to hear what the set list will be. I also hoped it’s being video taped for the rest of us.

I think he might. I wonder if he’ll perform ‘Karen’s Theme’? He may perform it with photos of Karen on screen perhaps to close the show ? I don’t know. I’m keen to see what the set list is. Maybe Richard will post on his instagram in due time. I’d also be interested to know if he’ll provide any tour books?

Two venues have now fully sold out London and Milton Keynes. I hope that more tickets get sold. It is a shame the venues are a bit off the beaten track. I hope more venues sell out soon 🤞

London sold out a while back, Ronnie Scott's is a very small venue that only seats a couple of hundred people. The others are doing moderately well. Still six months to go. I've a feeling Richard will come to the UK a week or so before the tour begins to do a final promotional push which will probably shift more tickets.

Tony Denton wants his head examining for booking dates in the venues he has. The only major cities on this tour in the whole of the UK are London and Leeds. There are tons of smaller venues in other big cities like Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh and many more that would have sold equally well, if not far better and quicker. You can't tell me they were all booked out when this was arranged 6-12 months ago. I still can't get my head around why he's been booked in such far-flung places as Portsmouth 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
I got my ticket for the show in Basingstoke! Front row ! Can’t believe I’m going to see Richard Carpenter live and up close
I didn't know about this - I've only just seen it!
Managed to get a ticket for Basingstoke too as London is sold out

London sold out a while back, Ronnie Scott's is a very small venue that only seats a couple of hundred people. The others are doing moderately well. Still six months to go. I've a feeling Richard will come to the UK a week or so before the tour begins to do a final promotional push which will probably shift more tickets.

Tony Denton wants his head examining for booking dates in the venues he has. The only major cities on this tour in the whole of the UK are London and Leeds. There are tons of smaller venues in other big cities like Newcastle, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh and many more that would have sold equally well, if not far better and quicker. You can't tell me they were all booked out when this was arranged 6-12 months ago. I still can't get my head around why he's been booked in such far-flung places as Portsmouth 🤦‍♂️

Do you think that Patti Page's "Old Cape Cod" may have been a bit of an inspiration for the choice of venues? She sings about "...quaint little villages here and there..."

Worthing looks like a nice place to visit, while on the south coast (no ticket myself for Richard's show there though). The Assembly Hall has quite a history of big names that performed there. And not too far from this seaside town is a place called.... Newhaven 😉 (I actually would have liked to get off the train in Newhaven (out of curiosity) on my journey between Brighton and Seaford last weekend, but didn't have much time unfortunately)

Btw, I very much enjoyed the few hours I spent in Portsmouth several years ago. Looking forward to visiting again in September before Richard's concert there 😎

It'll be interesting to see if he's managed to finish the Christmas polish up by then.

Venues, radio and TV would be the perfect time to promote the album as we head into the autumn.

The One Show TV appearance in March '19 helped push the RPO album back to No. 10 so it'd be great to use it again for the Christmas album.

Fingers crossed.

Neil

The One Show TV appearance in March '19 helped push the RPO album back to No. 10 so it'd be great to use it again for the Christmas album.

I think he'll do a few talk shows for this to give it a push, especially if some venues are not selling too well. You often find a TV appearance pushes people into booking up. As well as The One Show last time, he also appeared on Lorraine and also Steve Wright's BBC Radio 2 Show, which was a fantastic interview - the best I've heard him.

This is Yeovil booking page currently.

Yeovil.png

The U.K. has always had a great admiration the Carpenters and their music so I think if Richard’s did do some promo over here to boost sales, it would work in his favour I think. Like you said Neil, all we have to do is think back to the RPO promo that he did. That album was so well received

While looking for cover versions of Matt Bianco's "Half a minute", I stumbled across an instrumental version by a British jazz trio led by John Watson.
Drummer Sophie Alloway immediately drew my attention. The whole setting reminded me of stories I read about the Richard Carpenter Trio from the 1960s. Somehow I seem to recall Richard telling that they too played Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" (but I could be wrong?)

Like Karen, Sophie also started playing the drums at quite a young age, as she tells in this interview. And what about having a piano playing brother as well? :) 🥁🎹

Here's a solo from a gig at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in London:

I must say it's a new name to me, but I think she's really great! 🤩
Wouldn't it be awesome if Richard could do a tune or 2 from the 1960s Trio days with Karen & Wes and perform it with Sophie and a bass player? :love:

Greg

Last edited:
Only a matter of weeks now before Richard's tour of the UK? Post here if you're going and to which venue, it would be great to see how many forum fans will be seeing him. I'm at his opening night in Leeds, centre seats, three rows from the front.

Back
Top Bottom