• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

henryjg

Can anyone tell me if the original album version of "Goodbye to Love" has been used on any recently issued compilations? Is there a discography anywhere on the web that details which remixes/versions appear on which compilations?

The original album mix of "Goodbye To Love" can be found on the Remastered Classic issue of A Song For You. When putting this song on compilations, Richard has favored the remixed version. Even the earliest compilations use the remixed version.

Harry
NP: "Goodbye To Love" - Carpenters, A Song For You (Remastered)

Thanks Scott B for the referral. That website is just what I was looking for as far as versions.

One more question. Can anyone give me a review of the sound quality on the Japanese "By Request" CD? Especially compared to the U.S. 1998 remasters and the new Essential Collection? I've found the sound quality of the Essential Collection to be stunning. It's actually making it hard for me to listen to the '98 remasters. So I'm now looking for other releases where the sound quality approaches that of Essential Collection.

Sound quality on the Japanese By Request is just fine. Compares favorably on most tracks to the new Essential Collection with a few exceptions. "Yesterday Once More" is much brighter on Essential and "I Need To Be In Love" sounds like it's got a few more high frequencies on the new set as well. There are many tracks where comparison isn't possible, since By Request included a lot of album tracks that were there 'by request.'

Harry
NP: ESSENTIAL COLLECTION - Carpenters

Goodbye to Love version with the opening Karen intro on From The Top is an interesting release , indicating just how difficult this song is to sing with long vocal lines etc.

Richard discussed this on a UK Documentary about Easy Listening Greats and also forcibly , almost with anger denied that Reviewers and Fans should read personal issues / romantic problems into the lyrics :o

Interesting to discuss with John Bettis as he has stated several Carpenter / Bettis songs are very personal and underscore emotions /issues at the time of composition :!:

Goodbye To Love remains a Carpenters Classic and a wonderful Carpenter / Bettis song :D

No, Andrew. Though Richard still wirtes in the linernote that the listener will hear Ray Gerhardt slating the take "niner " and the count -off...and the breath, only the breath has been left in this re-release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom