• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Waiting for the CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without looking, I will try to guess the 4 albums.

I Feel You
Definitive Hits
Whipped Cream
Rise

How close am I?

three out of four I see on the top 100 - Rise not liste. Betcha if Fandango has been out that it would have been in that list b/c of Rte 101.

What can I say about this CD,"I Feel You", except like how we say in Brooklyn, "I'm FEELING this CD!" This is absolutely one of the best CDs that I've heard so far this year, and believe me that's a lot coming from me! I'm very critical when it comes to the music that I listen to, so the music has to be(at least to me)top notch, or I can't listen to it. I picked this album up last night at Barnes and Noble,soon as I got home, put it in my computer, and just LISTENED. It is probably the first all out REAL jazz album that Herb(and Lani) has finally made.

Although I come from the place of "better late than never", I really wish Herb had made this type of CD 20 to 30 years ago,when he still had A&M,or even Almo Sounds.I really wished that in between KEEP YOUR EYE ON ME,WILD ROMANCE,BULLISH, and NORTH ON SOUTH STREET,that he had done a small combo jazz album like this to show people that he had the chops like we all knew that he did. Also, Pat Metheny and Grover Washington,Jr. made "straight ahead" small combo jazz recordings in between their "fusion" or "contemporary" music, so why couldn't Herb when he had his own labels? I would probably hazard to guess that he was advised to do this by the salespeople at A&M,to keep the bottomline well.That's only my speculation.

Also, ironically enough,Herb sounds more relaxed, and much more confident, and full of fire(I believe that on one of the tunes, that I actually heard Herb hit a high note!)on this CD;which is on someone else's label, than some of the albums that were made on his own!Also, the band's makeup: I have never heard of Bill Cantos or Hussain Jiffry before save except when they started playing with Herb and Lani(although I did see Mike Shapiro's name on the credits of Lani's BRASIL NATIVO CD), but it seems that these guys are real jazz musicians, as opposed to the "studio cats" that Herb usually uses(Kenny G, take note!), and that I believe has given Herb and Lani confidence to take the music anywhere they wanted to.

Lani-what can I say? She seems to get better every time I hear her, and this CD far exceeds her BRASIL NATIVO cd. It's probably because to my ears,anyway,that she is singing not only Bossa Nova, but straight ahead jazz as well.They very much succeeded in reinterpretating old standards/pop hits into something slightly familiar,yet altogether different with such tunes as "Moondance","Fever","Here Comes The Sun" and even "What Now,My Love" which really starts off as being close to Herb's original playing on the 1966 version, then goes into a completely different direction by the time that the song finishes. Herb's singing on "There Will Never Be Another You" at least to me (dare I say it?)sounds a little like Chet Baker, but without Chet's melodramatic phrasing,given the drama of Chet's life. Herb's singing is far more sprightly, and more light hearted, and also tells the story well.

"Call Me" again, is far more different that Herb's version with Chris Montez.That arrangement was much more playful,and very happy go-lucky 60s;this version is much more haunting, and a liitle dark, but also very beautiful. I love Cantos' keyboard work on this tune especially;it fits the mood of what the ensemble was trying to create.I like that the group ended the cd on a playful,positive note with their version of "Til There Was You";complete with whistles from everybody.

Hussain Jiffrey's playing reminds me a lot of Jaco Pastorius', and Bill Cantos reminds me of Lyle Mays of The Pat Metheny Group, along with a bit of Bill Evans, as well as Oscar Peterson, and Joe Sample.I'm not too familiar with drummers per se, but that Michael Shapiro can play! all in all, a great cd, one to really recomend to people, and great jazz to listen after a hard day at the office,or on a relaxing Sunday afternoon.

Five stars from me!!
'Til next time, take care all.
jazzdre

Mike Blakesley said:
Without looking, I will try to guess the 4 albums.

I Feel You
Definitive Hits
Whipped Cream
Rise

How close am I?

When I checked, you were right except it wasn't Rise it was Anything Goes...

I had a chance to listen to a couple of songs at work with my headphones on (while taking care of "business" in the restroom) and cranked up "Cast Your Fate To The Wind". I started noticing different little things here and there, especially with some percussion. During Herb's solo I started thinking that with Hussain Jiffry's bass line it kind of sounded like Paul Simon's "Diamonds On The Sole Of Her Shoes". Great groove, especially when it was cranked up. Don't know if I was doing any extra moves - I hope no one was peeking - but my head was nodding to the beat. I had thought "Blackbird" was my favorite song, nut now I'm leaning towards "Cast" a bit. Can't go wrong either way.

Capt. Bacardi
...ready for some headphone listening for the whole album online...

When I checked, you were right except it wasn't Rise it was Anything Goes...
You know, I thought about putting ANYTHING GOES on the list instead of Rise and thinking more about it, that would have made more sense since that album's getting a lot of mention along with the new one.

My copy of the new disk has not arrived yet but it's my bad for not getting it ordered sooner...but, good things come to those who wait, it should be here early next week.

I Think one of the reaons that people are having a hard time getting the CD direct from Concord is because they are currently out of product!

The Concord web site is currently only listing the MP3 version for sale!

Congrats to Herb, Lani, Bill, Hussain and Michael.

As the Philly paper says this morning, "Keep riding that revival"! :cool:

I'm glad the "Viola" title is clarified: there's the "Viola" covered on Crystal Illusions and the Edu Lobo "Viola Fora De Moda." Two different tunes.

CherryStreet said:
I Think one of the reaons that people are having a hard time getting the CD direct from Concord is because they are currently out of product!

Hmm, a record company that runs out of its own stuff? Interesting. Hopefully that just means the album is selling big time and they need to print up a bunch more!

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
Hmm, a record company that runs out of its own stuff? Interesting. Hopefully that just means the album is selling big time and they need to print up a bunch more!

That appears that's exactly what happend. Why else would they now only have the MP3 version available?

I think they just underestimated the intitial draw and demand for the new CD.

Ok, still no CD for me since my order on the last week of January. And no notice from the record company that they're out of stock, etc. You know, I'd be happy to cancel the order if someone would just contact me and tell me how I can do so. I've placed two email - one to their general customer service line (which resulted in a perfunctory response) and one to their press office, which has yet to be responded to as of the date of this posting. Frankly, I'm getting close to making an inquiry to the State of New York Attorney General's office on this. It's unconscionable that you would not apprise a customer of a problem with a fulfillment. I could have had this thing from amazon the day of release had I preordered it and it's my stupidity I guess for not sticking to that usual MO.

I'll try not and be annoyed about it when I attend the NYC performance tomorrow night.

I feel bad for you, but here's an old-fashioned idea you might not have tried yet: How about trying to call them on the phone? If you get sucked into one of those annoying menu systems just keep silent and you'll get connected to a person.

Hmm, a record company that runs out of its own stuff?
That's not unusual at all, actually...seen it many times with unexpectedly-popular items. They probably based their initial run on ANYTHING GOES sales and this album is proving more popular. I wonder if the fact it's a studio album has anything to do with it? Lots of people have a built-in aversion to live albums.

Anyway, the supplier where we get our CDs (Alliance Entertainment) shows it in stock. Looks like they sold all the copies they had on hand to retailers or other early buyers.

Here's another idea. Just buy another copy from somewhere else. Then either bite the bullet and keep two (it's not unheard of!), sell one on eBay, give it as a gift to someone you like, or go through the hassle of returning the one you eventually get to Concord.

I'm currently annoyed with Amazon. Over the past couple of months, I've ordered a number of different CD's, DVD's, and Blu-Rays, and on almost every order, the shipping has been extremely and uncharacteristically slow.

Months ago, I placed an order for a DVD that was to be released on Tue., Feb 15. It didn't begin shipping until very late on Tuesday, with an estimated delivery date of today, Saturday. I followed the tracking which put the thing in Orlando on Thursday night, yet today's mail came and went with my item still missing. Now, I'm facing nothing in delivery until Tuesday because of the holiday - one full week after the release date.

I understand patience and all that, but it's irritating that I can't just go to a store to buy items like this, and have to rely on a shipping process that's obviously filled with booby traps and flaws. It almost seems that an order placed for an item in stock gets higher priority than a pre-ordered item, and that doesn't seem fair either.

I knew months ago that I wanted this item, and ordered it right away. Yet I seemed to be put on the bottom of the list of order fulfillment on release day. Wasn't there a time not so long ago that if you pre-ordered something, they'd ship it a day or so early so you'd get it on release day?

Anyway - just venting. It's theraputic.

Harry

I'm taking the advice of both of you. Will call 'em tomorrow. Depending on how that goes, I'll decide what I want to do from there. And will purchase the thing tonite somewhere in NYC and likely give the other away when (and if) if ever gets to me.

I split this topic into its own, since complaining about not receiving the CD yet has nothing to do with a review or comment on the CD itself.

Capt. Bacardi

I don't think Concord ran out. A record label typically does not sell product direct, so it could be their own fulfillment stock has run out, but the distributors probably have plenty.

I ordered two copies of I Feel You through Amazon a week ago, and they both shipped within a day, and arrived by the end of the week (to different destinations). I've had pretty good luck with Amazon for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom