WARM, VOLUME 2, and THE BRASS ARE COMIN'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of the original Tijuana Brass master tapes aren't all that "audiophile" anyway. Each album has its own idiosyncrasies, like LONELY BULL having some "made-up" stereo added to mono recordings, VOLUME 2 being too bright, SOUTH OF THE BORDER (probably one of the best) was extra heavy in the bass, WHAT NOW MY LOVE had its two-different-stereo-mixes problems, SRO has some awful sonics on "Our Day Will Come", THE BRASS ARE COMIN' with its CSG problems.

Compounding all of that are the age of the master tapes and the fact that some are deteriorating over time. We've all lamented the state of "Tijuana Taxi" and "Spanish Flea" with their worn spots in the recent rounds of remasters. Unfortunately "The Sea Is My Soil" also seems to have some rough spots in it on the files from iTunes.

So with the TjB recordings, I don't know that upper-end bit rates are going to make all that much difference anyway. I'm pretty happy with the way that the majority of them sound on the three download-only albums, and I downloaded them at the time the bit-rate was even lower.

Like Mike, most of my listening tends to be in a car or when I'm traveling, with lots of ambient noise all around. When I listen at home, particularly on the "good" headphones, that's when I hear all of the anomalies showing up.

Harry

Car, Bus, Train, Plane or Living Room -

LOSSLESS IS THE WAY TO GO.

It's like wide screen being cropped for crappy old TV's. No difference.

Regarding the Cover art for Volume 2, The Brass Are Comin' and Warm, is the reverse or " back cover " of the albums available? Or any other material, e.g the inserts? Hoping that the Mp3 downloads will be available on Amazon UK soon and will be getting my CDR copies done shortly after !!!!!!! ( for my own use and not for resale, of course )

Cheers

Dave.......

Unfortunately, Shout! didn't send us any back artwork, so I'm afraid you're on your own there. But with scanners, digital cameras, etc., so prolific, a quick shot or scan of the old LP in question will get you going.

With THE BRASS ARE COMIN', it would have been nice to get the center of the gatefold, too, but again, Shout! just sent us the front covers.

I certainly hope that Amazon UK gets these for the sake of our British brothers and sisters.

Harry

Thanks Harry - I didn't know whether there is any other artwork available when You download the albums as I have not done this yet!
I am pretty confident that these 3 albums will be available before long on Amazon UK as every Shout! album released so far is available to download - so let's keep our fingers crossed, I will let everyone know as and when they become available. Just as a matter of interest, has anyone made their own CDRs from the downloads?

Dave.....

lonely bull said:
Just as a matter of interest, has anyone made their own CDRs from the downloads?

That's the first thing I did on the day that they were released to iTunes.

One other part of the whole iTunes thinkg that gave me pause, was the fact that they supposedly only allow seven instances of converting the downloaded songs to a CD-R, so my goal was to make sure I had a viable CD-R of each of the three.

Harry

It will be the first thing I do too - I already have an original Volume 2 CD so artwork for that one won't be a problem, :laugh:

Dave.....

Harry - that only applies to CD-R's made directly from iTunes. If you save the tracks on your computer as "wav" files, you can make as many copies as you need using any CD-R burning software.

These were my first, and, to date, only digital purchases. They are addicting albums...I think I played them five times lastnight.

Yet I feel incomplete sitting in my recliner without a liner notes booklet. a strange feeling. Even my favorite albums I still read the liner notes.

I really wish I could buy those downloads - never thought I would say that but it looks very unlikely they will be produced as CDs. Downloads would be better than nothing I guess .....

Dave.....

Finally went to "fye" (For Your Entertainment) at Fashion Square Mall in Saginaw, Michigan Monday morning to ripped from itunes to CD of all 3 Herb's. It didn't contain the back side of the CD NOT the cover CD itself just the front covers of all 3 CD's with the "fye" label. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Even though it is really sad that these downloads are unavailable for us in Europe, I believe that the reason for it is quite simple. It has to do with economy and the clearing of rights. Neither Itunes nor Amazon have probably considered the sales in our territories to be strong enough to clear the rights with the different performance societies in Europe which I believe, is more complicated than in the US. I don't believe that Herb Alpert himself can be blamed for a business decision as this.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

I agree, and given the resources that Herb himself has, it is quite sad that it is unavailable for a great number of his fans. I think "You Smile.." and "Coney Island" should be added and made available to all of us.. :)

- greetings from the north -
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom