Percussion: Jerry Granelli, John Chambers
Cover and Liner Photographs: Dennis Hodgson
Album Design: Peter Whorf Graphics
Recorded at Columbus Recording, Columbus Tower, San Francisco, California
Engineer: Peter Abbott
Produced for Trident Production, Inc. by Frank Werber

NAME: STEWART, MIKE
BORN: Riverside, California
SCHOOLS: Pomona Catholic High,Mt. San Antonio College, University Of San Francisco
SINGS: Baritone-Bass
INSTRUMENTS: 5-string Guitar, 6-String Guitar, 9 String Guitar
Leader and arranger. Michael has all kinds of sounds banging around inside his head. His unusual ability to tailor songs makes him responsible for our direction. He likes Bach, banana shakes and antiques.

NAME: FULLERTON, PETE
BORN: Claremont, California
SCHOOLS: Claremont High, Mt. San Antonio College
SINGS: Tenor
INSTRUMENTS: Acoustic Bass, Fender Bass
Pete played football and participated in track events while attending high school. He smiles a lot, likes tomato juice and is a dedicated vocalist-musician. He is one of the finest lyric tenors on our block.

NAME: BIVENS, BEVERLY
BORN: Santa Ana, California
SCHOOLS: Santa Ana High, Orange Coast Junior College
INSTUMENTS: Throat, Lead Singer, Low Tenor to High Soprano
Bev's unusual brilliance and vocal range is the basis of our sound. Her genuine involvement in singing and desire to learn, makes her the spark of the group. She likes fashions, Chinese food and freedom.

NAME: JONES, BOB
BORN: Honolulu, Hawaii
SCHOOLS: St. Louis High, Honolulu, University of San Francisco
SINGS: Baritone-Tenor
INSTRUMENTS: 6-String Electric Jazz Guitar, 12-String Electric Guitar
Bob's intrumental techniques are prominently featured throughout the "We Five" repertoire. He likes, jazz, teriyaki steak and surfing. His guitar playing punctuates what "We Five" say.

NAME: BURGAN, JERRY
BORN: Kansas City, Kansas
SCHOOLS: Pomona Catholic High, Mt. San Antonio College, University of San Francisco
SINGS: Tenor
INSTRUMENTS: 6-String Acoustical Guitar
Jerry, "The Handsome One," gives us depth in our instrumental and vocal arrangements. His guitar work is the basis of the pop and Broadway show tunes we do. He likes punctuality, sirloin tips and love songs.

It's a tough choice for me for favorite. "You Were On My Mind" is the big hit from this album that's still a powerful force even today, often getting airplay on soft rock radio stations. "My Favorite Things" is We Five's lovely version that was featured on the A&M Christmas album SOMETHING FESTIVE. As such, from such a sentimental favorite of mine, I have to give it the vote.

Though WHIPPED CREAM featured the [->STEREO<-] device for the first time, this album went one further placing the catalog number in a similar box-arrow device.
[->A&M SP 4111<-] appears in the top right corner while [->A&M LP 111<-] was found on the mono version in the lower right.

Harry

I have to say, whoever picked the tunes for this album made some great choices.
"Beyond the Sea" for me.

Another STRONG vote for Beyond The Sea. As much as I love the Bobby Darin version, I prefer the We Five version. Actually they're done in very different styles so comparison is difficult, but the harmony and excitement of We Five's version is outstanding. This I think is the best song in the We Five repertoire.

Honorable Mention would go to If I Were Alone followed by Softly As I Leave You and You Were On My Mind.

This is a fairly fun album to hear... Very creative arrangements and a well-chosen set of songs...

The "Beyond The Sea"-/"Softly As I Leave You"/"Cast Your Fate To The Wind"-fixations goes way BEYOND the simple realms of We Five here, being later done by The Sandpipers, as well...

Not to say that Herb Alpert & TjB doing "My Favorite Things" or his version not being included on iSOMETHING FESTIVE! is no good... Just that there, "My Favorite Things" by We Five fits into a very neat and crafty Pop-vein, more cohesive with other Christmas/Seasonal/Holiday favorites, and a good, whimsical period-piece unto itself, here...

"Love Me Not Tomorrow", written by Mike Stewart's brother, John Stewart, formerly of The Kingston Trio, is my favorite number here, and had also later been a one-shot as an A&M single, recorded by Karen Bryant B/W Paul Williams' "Morning I'll Be Movin' On"...

And you can't help but enjoy the creative takes on Stephen Sondheim's "Tonight" and especially the more popular "Small World"; genuine warmth and charm, all its own...!

The title-track, of course is still heard on Oldies Radio to this day, and along with it being a huge hit for these guys and gal, is enjoyable to hear...

Along with the rest of the songs, which served as a very fortunate transition from Folk Revival to Folk-based Soft Rock, by the engaging and dynamic energy of We Five...! "Damn fine music, as well..."

And this is on CD by Collectors Choice, coupled with the group's second album, MAKE SOMEONE HAPPY (A&M SP 4138)...

Dave

"Somewhere Beyond the Sea" for me. A sentimental favorite as it was "our song" for my girlfriend (at the time). I was just joining the Navy and it seemed an ideally appropriate song for "us." I bought this album while I was on "delayed entry" to go in back in 1979. At the time I was acquring as many "classic" A&M LPs as I could, having also picked up several Montez and Longet LPs in the same load (all still sealed, to boot).

--Mr. Bill

Mr Bill said:
"Somewhere Beyond the Sea" for me. A sentimental favorite as it was "our song" for my girlfriend (at the time). I was just joining the Navy and it seemed an ideally appropriate song for "us." I bought this album while I was on "delayed entry" to go in back in 1979. At the time I was acquring as many "classic" A&M LPs as I could, having also picked up several Montez and Longet LPs in the same load (all still sealed, to boot).

--Mr. Bill

They must mostly have the '70s era silver label. One of my copies of SP-4111 has that label.

Harry

I've never heard this one. I remember when I used to gaze at the back of A&M covers "back in the day" I would always notice it and wonder about it, but for some reason never got around to buying. [Puts 'check the sound samples on Amazon' on to-do list]

The whole feel of "Beyond The Sea" is what makes that track my favorite: sort of folksy, harmony thing going on. The title track is also a winner, as is "Favorite Things".

My favorite on this lp has to be Beyond The Sea. You Were On My Mind is a great song, but I think Sea edges it out.

Back
Top Bottom