• "SUNTORY POP JINGLES" (#1 & #2)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC MEDLEY" (1980)

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • "FROM THIS MOMENT ON"

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • "TRYIN' TO GET THE FEELING AGAIN"

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • "FROM THE HEART" (MORINAGA HI-CROWN CHOCOLATE COMMERCIAL)

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
This week’s thread will feature previously unreleased material taken from “From The Top”/”Essential Collection” and “Interpretations".

As I mentioned before, I’ve left out the Magic Lamp and Spectrum recordings as well as the instrumentals for future threads.

Please vote for your favorite ‘leftover’ and tell us why you picked it. -Chris

fromthetopt.jpg
interpretationst.jpg
essentialt.jpg

All thumbnails provided by http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/carindex.html

:tongue: Definitely Tryin' to get....! Great melody, marvellous arrangement.
This powerful song could have revalorize the "A kind of hush" album a lot had it been on it.
Achim from Germany :thumbsup:

No question at all on these choices for me - it's "Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again." I'm thankful Richard found this one and finished it off. It's a great rendition.

Harry
NP: radio at work

Although lyrically it doesn't make all that much sense, I went for "From The Heart". A beautiful 'snippet' replete with vocal overdubs and the whole nine yards. :D -Chris

Hearing "Goodnight" just sends me. I've always preferred her "younger" voice to the deeper version that replaced it years later and this song perfectly displays her younger tones. Just gorgeous.

Ed

Definitely "Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again". Karen's performance is amazing, especially for a "work lead". It's interesting to note that many of the lyrics differ from Barry Manilow's hit recording of this song. I like his version equally.

Murray

On the David Pomeranz recording, the lyrics used there are the same as the ones in the Manilow version and it adds the "meditation and poem" section. That section was restored to Manilow's recording on his box set in 1992.

Ed

Tough call as I love "Good Friends are for Keeps"...
But, the Music X3 Medley is an amazing peice, and "Make It Easy On Yourself" grabs my ears and heart. Her lower register is rich and "clean", the strings provide just the right touch, and slower tempo (compared to the version done 1971) displays the appropriate amount of drama. Wish a full version had been recorded with this arrangement!

mstaft said:
"Make It Easy On Yourself" grabs my ears and heart. Her lower register is rich and "clean", the strings provide just the right touch, and slower tempo (compared to the version done 1971) displays the appropriate amount of drama. Wish a full version had been recorded with this arrangement!

I second that! I didn't pick the medley, but this particular cut is the classic "chill factor" all the way. Intense vocals and impressive arrangement. -Chris

My vote cast for "Trying to Get the Feeling Again" This is one of the best lost Treasures to be discovered.

My very very very close 2nd is MMM Medley, I love that one & seeing her sing this on MMM is cool, I love to watch her sing & express her gestures to how the song means to her & how she expresses it. That's one of the best parts. Especially how she comes up behind Richard & puts her arm around him, I get goosebumps watching that. Also when she is in front of the harp singing, and when she walks around the piano at the end...OMG simply breath-taking for me this special is.

I went with "Trying to Get the Feeling Again," which may just be my favorite of all the vaulted tunes. I think it would have been exactly right for following up HORIZON, and would have charted better than any of the HUSH singles. Maybe not, but it's an awesome track either way.

Mark

I really wish this song had been released on 45 or a 12" single. I would love to hear it on vinyl. Another option would be putting it on the new SACD as a bonus track for the people who dont want to buy the box set or Interpretations. What a run-on!

mstaft said:
But, the Music X3 Medley is an amazing peice, and "Make It Easy On Yourself" grabs my ears and heart. Her lower register is rich and "clean", the strings provide just the right touch, and slower tempo (compared to the version done 1971) displays the appropriate amount of drama. Wish a full version had been recorded with this arrangement!

I agree 100% with that one and I love Karens "live" performance of this on MMM her deliberate movement her dancing just made this medley one of the highlights of the MMM special. I just loved it and play it over and over.
My pick obviously was Medley 1980 from MMM
:love: :D :angel: :)

Trying To Get the Feeling Again is my choice. When I stumbled into a record store of unknown origin a friend picked up a cd from the new release rack. Interpretations UK style. As I read the song selection I nearly seizured. Upon first listen I was transfixed. Not for the version necessarily, but for the aching vocal. Talk about your interpretation. Karen would have knocked this one out of the park! This song has been my greatest surprise Richard has delivered thus far. My Tower Records buddy acquired and presented me with the cd single. OOOOchachachacha.

The absolute exquisite delivery of Make It Easy On Yourself from MMM is Karen with flawless artistry. This sublime recording a potential 1980 release. Her undeniable craft could've sent the chill factor throughout contemporary radio. Karen's enchanting lower register here and in the A Song For You opening is Goddess-like. Pure Grammy!!! Certainly within MMM as in moments from Made In America the singer is in full command. This time period confuses me somewhat. I've commented earlier that I've detected a marked shift vocally circa '82. To my ear the time from 1969-1980 Karen's peak was realized. This is my primary era of listening.

Time for my Karen fix,

Jeff

Man some leftover are REALLY, REALLY good!!!

Goodnight - I love K's voice here!!! So full and warm!!!
Get Together - K's definitely gives live to this song!!! She brought it to another level!!! Love her drumming here also!!!
Canta - I really like to hear K's singing in another language, I wish she'd recorded the whole song in Spanish instead of only some parts of it...
Good Friends - K's voice is amazing as usual, the same can be said about her drumming!!!
Suntory - I really like those jingles, specially the second, which have a great melody and drumming provided by Karen!!!
Chocolate - I don't have this one... :sad:
MMM - I love this medley, specially of course the MIEOY ...oh man, those low notes...only my Karen could do that, no one else...amazing, also Someday, the way she sings it...heavenly...what a experience be able to hear it...

But my most favorite leftover has to be "Trying To Get The Feeling Again", which is one of my favorite C's and non C's songs ever!!! Flawless, perfect, deep, amazing, powerful, so sincere, incredible...everything here is gorgeous...Karen's fantastic reading, Richard's superb arrangement...all the gifted musicians...the outstanding lyrics... it's really one of theirs best recordings ever!!! It really should have been released ( and promoted, of course ) as single!!! Even nowadays it should, 'cause it sound so modern and well done!!!

I'm new to these surveys, but I could never have selected a true favorite from most albums anyway (there are just too many!). Same here. I debated all week over "Tryin' to get the Feelin' Again" and "From this Moment On".

A minority vote, I went for "From this Moment On" for two reasons: 1) It was written by Cole Porter, a songwriter I've only recently begun to appreciate . . . immensely! 2) I think this song beautifully showcases R&K's respective strengths -- Richard's talent on the keys and Karen's vocal ability. It's a recording that sets the two of them side-by-side, each excelling at (and, perhaps, duelling between) their individual technical strengths.

"Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again" gets my vote. Stunning reading by Karen and an absolute treat to hear this song after being 'lost' for so many years.

Toughie for this last rarities selection -certainly Tryin To Get ...is just outstanding ....remember Ray Coleman's review pre -release in 1994 , just praising this recording as key Carpenters music classic :D

Also love From The Heart -this should have been developed into full song -with single potential ...also 1980 Music TV Special closing medley -breaktaking example of Richard & Karen's skills / talents :cool:

Have chosen another Beatles cover -Goodnight -which I first heard in a very rough & ready audio state -but still Karen's emotional lullaby came shining through ....with Richard's remixed , remastered version ....all the hallmarks of early classic Carpenters are revealed .... :angel:

Remember listening to improved Goodnight from 1991 Box Set and after the last notes had played , rather surprised if not shocked to find tears had gently run down face ....without my own knowledge .....just an emotional , gut reaction to a beautiful cover / haunting Karen vocal .....enough said already .... :)

Peter....Goodnight memories .....

I think we're all on low-salt intake here. :)

Harry
...chip off the old block, online...

Hi All,
I chose MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC medley. I remember when I bought the 4 cd box set FROM THE TOP in Summer of 1992, to treat myself. This was the first song I listened to, followed by MY BODY KEEPS CHANGING MY MIND which I also loved.

My thoughts,
Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom