• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Week #29: Songwriters Series: "Williams/Nichols"

Favorite "Williams/Nichols" Composition:

• "WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN"

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • "I KEPT ON LOVING YOU"

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • "RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS"

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • "LET ME BE THE ONE"

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • "I WON'T LAST A DAY WITHOUT YOU"

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • "ORDINARY FOOL" (WILLIAMS)

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • "NOW" (NICHOLS/PITCHFORD)

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • "RAINBOW CONNECTION" (WILLIAMS/ASCHER)

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
Kudos to our site owner Rudy for his input on this new poll series I have dubbed the "SONGWRITERS SERIES".

These polls will feature songs written by famous songwriters or songwriting teams that have contributed to the Carpenters' success. I have also added songs to the poll that have been written by one writer or another in the team, even though it may NOT be a song that both writers have written together. As long as their name is attached to the credit, the song has been included in the poll.

This week's series topic is dedicated to Paul Williams and Roger Nichols. Please vote for your favorite song and tell us why you picked it. -Chris

I seemed to have "automatically" clicked on "We've Only Just Begun", seeing as how I've (re-)discovered Mark Lindsay (formerly of Paul Revere and The Raiders) and Billy Eckstein, both covering it, as well as having versions by Andy Williams and of course, it's composer, Paul Williams and even once had another A&M recording artist, Bill Medley (formerly of The Righteous Brothers) doing it, too... Yes, "Rainy Days & Mondays" comes second with me; I also have versions by Andy and Paul...

But, the Carpenters' version of "We've Only..." was the FIRST song by Karen and Richard, I've ever bought, and on a '45' B/W "For All We Know", I've equally considered a favorite back then, and today as well... And I can remember Karen & Richard's melancholy "Rainy Days...", sticking in my head, as I'd be "walking around" like "some kind of lonely clown" at one time, or another, myself... :tongue:

Dave

This is the most difficult poll to choose from yet...
I picked "Ordinary Fool"- just amazing everyway you look at it.

Paul Williams and/or Roger Nichols gave the Carpenters some of their best, and most memorable material, so choosing a favorite from among these choices is a difficult task.

Since this poll is about favorite W/N composition, I ultimately chose the song that I most enjoy playing on the piano - I WON'T LAST A DAY WITHOUT YOU.

Murray
...who's most favorite Paul Williams composition is "You And Me Against The World" (how I wish that K&R had recorded it)...

This is officially impossible for me...LOL! My problem is simple: As far as quality of song, "Ordinary Fool" and "The Rainbow Connection" are both neck-and-neck with me. Both possess amazing lyrical content and both are melodically perfect. I've heard Paul Williams do "Ordinary Fool" and I've heard various people cover "...Rainbow..." and, in all cases, the songs retain their charm and power. They do not lose their magical charms, no matter who does them. I simply cannot decide between these two songs. I must abstain from voting for those reasons.

Ed

I chose I Wont Last A Day Without You with Rainy Days a close second both beautiful songs with great vocals by Karen. All the songs in the poll are amoung my all time Carpenter favorites a great group of songs. :D

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
This is officially impossible for me...LOL! My problem is simple: As far as quality of song, "Ordinary Fool" and "The Rainbow Connection" are both neck-and-neck with me. Both possess amazing lyrical content and both are melodically perfect. I've heard Paul Williams do "Ordinary Fool" and I've heard various people cover "...Rainbow..." and, in all cases, the songs retain their charm and power. They do not lose their magical charms, no matter who does them. I simply cannot decide between these two songs. I must abstain from voting for those reasons.
Ed
Oh, come on Ed damn it, PICK ONE!! :) Just kidding....Take your time, take your time.... :laugh:

No doubt for me: Rainy days & Mondays is the best. Let me be the one, We've only Just Begun & Ordinary Fool are the second, third and fourth best.
MHO
Regards

Jorge

Hi All,
I chose RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS. That song is a classic...and I never tire of hearing that song. She sings it with such pathos, such feeling, such emotion. I love the fact that supposedly she was laying on the floor while recording it.

Cameron

This is probably the most difficult of all the polls thus far. It's between 2 for me: ORDINARY FOOL & RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS. The lyrics on each of these speak volumes to me personally. Karen's interpretation of the lyrics is goosebump city for me. Ordinary is so "in your lap" sounding that I can almost feel Karen's breaths and Rainy Days with it's sadness about almost giving up "sometimes I like to quit nothing ever seems to fit"....has always hit home for me. Somehow with Rainy Days if feel that much more closer to Karen. And now I have Olivia's version. :)

My vote is cast for...RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS!!

I voted for "Let Me Be The One", just because it gets the least attention of these other great songs. Being a Roger Nichols and Paul Williams fan, it's really hard to choose, but I always remember playing that tan album and thinking how great "Let Me Be The One" was and that it should've been a single. I think it might have topped the charts given the chance.

Harry
NP: "Let Me Be The One" Carpenters, remixed and expanded on FROM THE TOP

"ORDINARY FOOL" gets my vote.

Isn't necessarily my favorite Carpenters recording, but musicially and lyrically, it is superb. -Chris

RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS gets my vote, closely followed by I WON'T LAST A DAY WITHOUT YOU and then ORDINARY FOOL.

Bruno

Funny how Karen sung "Ordinary Fool" on her solo LP, Voice Of The Heart, years after Paul Williams recorded it (on the same-titled LP in 1976)... "I Won't Last A Day Without You" really should have been included on Singles, 1969 to 1973, and I can't understand why it wasn't; my radio station ocassionally DOES play it from time-to-time...!

As for "Let Me Be The One", it WAS released on a '45', but by an obscure singer, SHARON CASH, who also made an album on Playboy records, both done in the early-'70's... Sharon's "Let Me..." is backed by a remake of Lee Michaels' "Heighty-Hi"... But, yeah, The Carpenters' version should have made it to an '45'-RPM-7"-Single, at least as a 'B-Side', which I'm sure many a radio station would have pushed it to an "underground hit"-status...

Dave

Dave said:
Funny how Karen sung "Ordinary Fool" on her solo LP, Voice Of The Heart, years after Paul Williams recorded it (on the same-titled LP in 1976)... "I Won't Last A Day Without You" really should have been included on Singles, 1969 to 1973, and I can't understand why it wasn't; my radio station ocassionally DOES play it from time-to-time...!
Dave
Actually, "ORDINARY FOOL" was cut in '76, but deleted from the "HUSH" lineup. And I believe "I WON'T LAST A DAY" was released as a single in '74 which is why it did not make it on "The Singles, 69-73", but DID make it on it's subsequent release, "The Singles, 74-78".

These are consistent with some of the awkward dynamics of A&M in handling the Carpenters. I'm sure Richard and Karen had some degree of input, but as far as WHY they released certain things at the time they were recorded, and with other tunes decided to wait remains
a mystery. :confused: -Chris

Chris, this is a wonderful idea for a songwriter's poll!

This one, though, is really hard. I just have to go with "Ordinary Fool". I've always thought this was very much underrated. I love Karen's rendition of this bluesy song. It's perfect in every way.

Coming in at its heels for a close second is "Now". And then, there's "Rainbow Connection" and then ... !!!!!! OH, my! They're ALL extraordinary. I've always been very fond of this duos' songwriting talent.

Marilyn

thestitch said:
Chris, this is a wonderful idea for a songwriter's poll!
Well, you can thank our fearless forum leader Rudy for that one. It was his idea. :wink: -Chris

Very, very tough choice for me here but I had to go with "Now." I met the love of my life four years ago at age 28 and that song so perfectly describes my feelings. I'd always loved the song and used to wonder if I could ever feel that way about anyone. It was so wonderful to finally meet the person that made that song "real" for me.

"No, I never really knew how until now."
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom