• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Week #4: Favorite Carpenters Song/Album: 'A SONG FOR YOU'

Favorite song from "A Song For You"

• “A SONG FOR YOU”

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • “TOP OF THE WORLD” (ALBUM VERSION)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • “TOP OF THE WORLD” (SINGLE VERSION)

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • “HURTING EACH OTHER”

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • “IT’S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME”

• “GOODBYE TO LOVE”

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • “INTERMISSION”

• “BLESS THE BEASTS & THE CHILDREN”

• “FLAT BAROQUE”

• “PIANO PICKER”

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • “I WON’T LAST A DAY WITHOUT YOU”

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • “CRYSTAL LULLABYE”

• “ROAD ODE”

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • “A SONG FOR YOU” (REPRISE)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
O.k. guys, it is now week #4 of our Carpenters poll and it should be an exciting one!! This week’s album up for vote is: 'A SONG FOR YOU'.

It is nearly impossible to pick just ONE favorite from this album given the incredible lineup of songs, as well as the Carpenters’ interpretations of these marvelous tunes. However, unfortunate as it may be, we need to narrow it down to just one song. :sad: (This should make for an interesting week of voting!!)

Almost every song on this album has been remixed (many of the album cut remixes although slight can be found on “Treasures”, the 2-CD Japanese release). When voting, please tell us why you chose that particular song and also mention whether you prefer it’s ORIGINAL mix or the REMIX.

NOTE: I decided to give an alternate option for “Top of The World” given the divided opinions over the years regarding both the album and single versions. :) HAVE AT IT GANG!!! -Chris

asongforyout.jpg

All thumbnails provided by http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/carindex.html

OK, first of all, it's original mixes all the way for me. Having grown up with all the albums, nothing else sounds right to me. :)

Since I knew this album was coming up in the polls, I've given it some thought over the past couple of weeks. I went with "Goodbye To Love", which is one of the first, if not the first "power ballad" ever recorded, thanks to Peluso's fuzz guitar solo. It was even controversial in its day, a rock guitar bursting through a Carpenters song and, IMHO, influential to others who would record these "power ballads" in the future. For that reason, it edges out the others in votes. I just have the feeling that something is happening in this song that went beyond the simple inclusion on a Carpenters album.

Still, overall, the entire album has great songwriting from end to end. Even the album tracks are good! Probably the only Carpenters CD that I play end to end, every time, without skipping a few tracks. And it plays almost like a Greatest Hits album as well. Definite "Desert Island" disc for me!

Aaaargh! So many great songs on this album! SO MANY! But- I have to pick "Top Of The World" -Single Version. The original was great... a little "countrified"... and at the time, Lynn Anderson already had a country #1 with "Top Of The World" So- the single version was perfect...as already proven...with pop radio and fans! Richard's remixes of the song are all great...the song is great! Catchy Pop!

It was a Sunday. Riding in the backseat anticipating the new release. HURTING EACH OTHER had dominated the airwaves and I was ready for the whole enchilada. My fan club newsletters had been riddled with post-production hype. Now, in my light blue CarpenterS t-shirt w/old logo, I seized the golden goose. The texture of the album was cool. Unlike any other. Remember that? The flap was cool. The inner sleeve with its colorful artwork was cool. A brand spankin' new pic of K&R...ohhhhhh

There was a big cardboard promo for A SONG FOR YOU in the window of a Seattle record store. With nine year old enthusiasm in tow I landed the big one.

CarpenterS performed BLESS THE BEASTS AND THE CHILDREN on the Grammy's or Oscar's...whatever. Anyway, as Karen lip-synched along I was glued to my itty bitty black and white tv. When the song was featured as a B-side it became my fave of the 45. Vocally Karen's interpretation is stirring and when she hits the chorus with power and commands LIGHT THEIR WAY...um um um.

Later, this song more or less became an anthem. Later still, its significance sent a message. PLUS the backing vocals LET IT SHINE ALL AROUND THEM.... Sweet Jesus such harmony. At nine I knew a class act when I heard it. YEP!!! Sentimentally BLESS THE BEASTS gets my vote.

Isn't it strange how these polls can anchor you way back when?

Jeff

When the album came out, I would play "Goodbye to Love" over and over. Even then, I always thought of it as "Karen's song."
As an adult, "Song for You" has become my favorite off this album.

Hi All,
I chose BLESS THE BEAST AND THE CHILDREN. I believe, they sung this song at the Academy Awards. Anyways, I think this is one of the most beautiful and heartfelt songs she ever sung. I always consider this song the GREATEST LOVE OF ALL of that day. Very beautiful, wonderful harmonies. Karen shines on this song.

My thoughts,
Cameron
[email protected]

Back when this album came out, I was very partial to "It's Going To Take Some Time". I was first clarinet in my school band, and the band director arranged this song for us. I played the vocal part! :) Very happy memories...

In high school, I favored "Goodbye To Love". The dark, kind of depressing lyrics fit in well with my teenage angst. The guitar solo was cool too!:cool:

Since Karen died, I find myself drawn to the title track "A Song For You". The lyrics are so haunting and prophetic. When I hear Karen sing "And when my life is over, remember when we were together. We were alone and I was singing this song for you", I get major chills everytime! "A Song For You" gets my vote.

Murray

My favorite has to be GOODBYE TO LOVE. That is the song that got me interested in the C's and will probably be my favorite for all time.

Probably the hardest of all to pick one favorite from, but I picked "Road Ode" because I love the intro and outro to it, and it's a bit tougher than most Carpenters songs. It also has a mysterious quality to it that I really enjoy.

Between cassettes and CDs, I have probably compiled about 5 or 6 Carpenters compiliations and this song is on all of them, but it always includes "Crystal Lullaby" and the ASFY reprise at the end. Those three are inseperable in my book.

"Hurting Each Other"--I like the "new arrangement based on the Ruby & The Romantics version", which was released as an A&M single, that Richard & Karen listened to and right away drew inspiration from. And you hear much more emotion, yearning and longing in Karen's delivery, too. The instrumental backing is top-notch and I would love to have been in the recording studio during the making of it. Had it on a single B/W the newer, "Touch Me When We're Dancing", but now on my Singles 1969-1973 CD. And other versions of "Hurting..." I have by The Ray Conniff Singers and Andy Williams really pale in comparison, despite my fondness for them.

Years ago, my mother bought "Top Of The World" on a Forget Me (K)Nots single, with the striped green & yellow label and I remember her writing down the words to it as she played it.

Dave

...Yeah, Why "Just One"? :| :D

"A Song for You" is my favorite. The lyrics get me, the sax that chills my bone, Karen's amazing range on this track, and Karen Carpenter's Story with this entire song sung on stage just blew the audiences away. It's haunting, it's riveting, it's mesmerizing and it's making me wanna cry!

(I voted and posted this without reading the other responses so as not to color my own voting choice.)

I voted for "Hurting Each Other." It was an instant favorite of mine and has remained so ever since. This album's a tough choice when faced with the task of picking just one song as the favorite since the whole album's a masterpiece, start to finish. And it solidified Carpenters in my mind as a spectacular act, as they'd now given me four solid albums that I just couldn't get enough of, and this latest one was like some very sweet icing on a delicious cake.

Richard even makes the most of his appearance in the lead with not one but two songs, and consecutively placed on side two, one a vocal and the other an instrumental. It's also amazing that these two songs were not from the same composer.

The bandmembers even chime in with their "Road Ode", a song about the weariness that results from constant touring.

If I had a second choice, I'd probably go with the title track, "A Song For You". It's a terrific track and one that might have been yet another hit single from this single-laden album.

Harry
...who'll now go back and read the other comments, online...

I had to vote for "Hurting Each Other"; definitely my favorite single on the album. My second pick would have been for the 7" version of "Top of the World"; to me, it's a vast improvement over the album version, which just doesn't "breathe" the same way the 45 does.
Don't like the non-singles on this album as much as I do on some of their other albums, but the title cut would be my favorite of the non-singles. As many countless versions of the title cut I've heard over the years, the Carpenters' take is still the definitive version in my book.

Jeff F.

I voted for A SONG FOR YOU. The arrangement, the lyrics, the sax solo - perfect. A chill factor tune every time I listen to it! And I prefer the remix, as I do in most cases.

I think, this jazzy music was Karen's destination, if she would have lived.

Second would be Top of the World - what a great pop song!

Third would be Goodbye To Love, especially because of Peluso's guitar solo, ofcourse.

Bruno

Well of all the remakes of "A Song For You" there are, my favorite is by Andy Williams. I thought The Tempatations also made an album called A Song For You packaged very much like this one! :laugh:

"Crystal Lullabye" and "Road Ode", as well as "Flat Baroque" are good, too; had them each on '45's. As for "Intermission", could it have made it as a single? Maybe as a B-Side to that "Let Me Be The One", that we wish saw as a '45'! :laugh:

Dave

Well, I have to say that I voted for "Top", the single release. I am kinda surprised at that (if that makes sense) as I was CERTAIN I would vote for "ASFY". However, I got thinking back to the Karen Carpenter Story when they did that Vegas scene. Watching that movie for the first time at age 12, and remembering this song "Top Of The World" from years past, the arrangement and vocal harmonies...quite saccharine. It just did something to me. Classic Carpenters all the way.

I am also a keyboardist and that Wurli electric piano at the intro in that warm lower register is classic early Richard. -Chris

There's just one thing about one lyric in "Goodbye To Love" that doesn't agree with me: "No one can predict the "Wheel Of Fortune" as it ...FALLS??!!..." :?:

I know Richard & Karen intended it to rhyme with "all", but I think I'd rather the "Wheel Of Fortune" TURNED. :freak:

When "Goodbye To Love" comes on the radio, I usually turn it off and sing my "new" verses:

"...What lies in the future, we later somehow LEARN, no one can predict the "wheel of fortune" as it TURNS..." ...and turn it back on right after that "passage".

Sorry, just my humble opinion... :goofygrin:

Dave

...a GOOD song, just (to ME!) bad lyrics... :| ...or ones that just "Rubbed Me Wrong!"... :angel:

Tell me how can you ever make a list of best album of all time and not including this one?

Top Of The World - I first heard it in a documentary about them, as love it imediately...love the Karen sings it...and to see her singing it too...
Hurting Each Other - Another love-first-heard...love the power of the chorus...such a classic song...Richard made a great job here as well
It's Going - It was so nice to hear a different kind of sound comming from them...later I discovered it was a Carol King's song...the keyboard sounds amazing...the way she sings after all the tears we've spent how could we make amends?...and the harmonies...next time...
Goodbye To Love - And they made history...people liking it or not they did...amazing...great lyrics...powerful performance by everyone who is on it...especially Karen and Toni Pelluso...Geez...I always try to make sounds singing, similar with the classic and unforgetable perfomance by Mr. Pelluso...fantastic
Intermission - And they were creative...and they knew what did, and what they did, they did great...
Bless The Beast - Amazing...Karen sounds so powerful, the all song does...such a superb song...also like the when they do songs the not talk about love once in a while...
Flat Baroque - Yes, you can hear it and like it vey much...altough my favorite instrumental song by them being Heather...shows their versatility and abilities as musicians...
Piano Picker - I do like this songs..the ooooohhh, Richard's vocals are great on this one...
I Won't Last - Amazing, lovely, has edge, just love it, what can I say? I remember when I first heard it, I read the title first...and I was expecting to be a upbeat tempo song like "Back In My Life Again"...and then it started with the harmonies...ooooohhh...and day after day I must face a world strangers where I don't belong...I'm not that strong...can you ever get a better love song than that?
Crystal - Used to like it more, but still like it very much...the interaction between them just lovely...
Road Ode - Incredible, sublime, rockie...great song...lyrics...melody, edge...wish the did more songs like that one...

But my most favorite song in this album is my second most favorite C's song...you came up in front and I was hidding, but now I'm so much better...listen to melody...'cause my love is in there hidding...oooh...

Incredible, amazing, great, a classic, the best of the bests....I just love it...Karen outstandings everyone and anyone on this one...the arrangement...that killer sax solo that gives me chiver...and Karen again... the lyrics...and in the very end...the reprise...the echo...when my live it's over...this song for you...very loooww...

Sorry for taking too long...but it's A Song For You...the classic of the classics...you understand don't you?

Impossible ....to choose just one song from this classic album.....have to submit the entire album :shock:

Carpenters masterpiece of songs , performances , arrangements, moods , styles and vocals :) :) :)

Peter

It is always hard to pick just one favourite off a Carpenters album, especially off the 'Song for you' album.

I have to go with 'Goodbye to Love' this is one of my all time favourite songs, gets me every time. :love:

Laura

Golly, gee, I HAVE to agree with Peter on this one. This album is the quintessential Carpenters album, and I'm sure you're all tired of hearing me say that! I just can't pick just one song. :D This is my very favorite one with VOTH coming in second.

I can think of a good reason to pick most of the songs on it as a favorite. Most of you have already stated similar, if not the same, reasons. There is one thing I'd like to add about Crystal Lullaby. This song has always managed to touch me when I hear it. Yesterday, I got to thinking what would the motivation be for Richard and John to write such a song when they were so young, still unmarried and no families. There HAS to be a "story" hidden in there somewhere. Does anyone have any inside info on this? It's a very lovely song that, in my opinion, is very underrated.

Marilyn,
who got up so late and is now going to play "catch up" all day!!

I voted for the title track "A song for you" and I think I prefer the remixed version, simply because it sounds better. Great interpretation, wonderful arrangement with that jazzy feel to it. I would agree with Bruno if Karen were still alive this is the direction their music should have taken.
As for the album I would choose "Road ode"for the second best track. Wonderful song about the loneliness of touring . :angel:

I wonder why "I Won't Last A Day Without You" never made it to Singles 1969 to 1973. That song is done so perfectly well and it does get played on my radio station from time-to-time.

Was it not as big of a hit? Or is it there and have I not been paying attention? :laugh:

Dave

...ready to check the track-list again, but I'm quite sure it's NOT there, but it SHOULD be...! :wink:

Dave said:
I wonder why "I Won't Last A Day Without You" never made it to Singles 1969 to 1973. That song is done so perfectly well and it does get played on my radio station from time-to-time.

Was it not as big of a hit? Or is it there and have I not been paying attention? :laugh:
This may have something to do with the fact that "I Won't Last A Day Without You" was released as a single after The Singles 1969-1973 had come out. Consider:
- The Singles 1969-1973 was released Nov. 9, 1973; while
- "I Won't Last A Day Without You" (c/w "One Love," #1521-S) was released March 25, 1974.

So, between "Bless The Beasts And Children" (first issued as the flip of "Superstar," AM 1289-S, on Aug. 12, 1971) and "I Won't Last A Day Without You," a total of nine tracks (out of the thirteen on the LP) were released on 45 RPM over a period spanning two years, seven months, and thirteen days. Quite impressive for what some would call a "little LP" (and no, I'm not referring to those jukebox-only 7-inch 33⅓ RPM records). That alone, if nothing else, should bespeak the overall quality of A Song For You.

But then . . . that year (1972), there was another LP which had most of its content issued on singles: Back Stabbers by the O'Jays (Philadelphia International KZ 31712), with only two tracks ("When The World's At Peace" and "(They Call Me) Mr. Lucky") unissued in the 45 RPM format.

Incidentally, "I Won't Last A Day Without You" IS included in 'Singles, 1974-1978'. -Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom