What Cuts Remind You Music is Fun?

I was attending a wedding over the weekend and I was reminded of a "fun" song popped up that had everyone bouncing around. The song reminded me of sitting in our house up north on a Sunday morning in 2002 and stumbling onto some tidbit about a song that had been played everywhere in Europe over the summer. They called it "The Ketchup Song", and of course I immediately thought of Carly Simon's "Anticipation". But this was very different.

That day, I headed over to our local mall to try to find this crazy record and was successful. The song sounded to be in a similar pop vein to what I was obsessed with in 2002, The Corrs, and the Spanish sort-of echoed many of my faves from A&M.

The recording went to number one all over the world except the US.

Foreign music can be humorous, especially when they try to globalize themselves by singing in an "Americanized" style. That's why I found those videos by Slovenian/Serbian artist Magnifico (Robert Pešut), with vocals delivered through an accent thicker than an NYC phone book, and a musical style that was perhaps a decade out of date here in N. America when he recorded it. The video for "Hir Aj Kam, Hir Aj Go" ("Here I Come, Here I Go") is similarly over the top, with every known video cliché dragged into it, almost as though it were a parody to the MTV era.

But I can appreciate the irony of what was happening in his life during this time. Prior to writing this, and the other songs for the Import/Export album, his wife Barbara had fallen ill (multiple sclerosis). And that was inspiration to lock himself into a room and begin writing new songs. So even though his style can be over the top, it is a way for him to work through that news. Barbara has been wheelchair-bound for a while now, but he is still at her side today, taking care of her.

On a lighter note, it's great music to play in the car. Strangers on the road look at me like, "What the heck is that??" 🤣

Foreign music can be humorous, especially when they try to globalize themselves by singing in an "Americanized" style. That's why I found those videos by Slovenian/Serbian artist Magnifico (Robert Pešut), with vocals delivered through an accent thicker than an NYC phone book, and a musical style that was perhaps a decade out of date here in N. America when he recorded it. The video for "Hir Aj Kam, Hir Aj Go" ("Here I Come, Here I Go") is similarly over the top, with every known video cliché dragged into it, almost as though it were a parody to the MTV era.

But I can appreciate the irony of what was happening in his life during this time. Prior to writing this, and the other songs for the Import/Export album, his wife Barbara had fallen ill (multiple sclerosis). And that was inspiration to lock himself into a room and begin writing new songs. So even though his style can be over the top, it is a way for him to work through that news. Barbara has been wheelchair-bound for a while now, but he is still at her side today, taking care of her.

On a lighter note, it's great music to play in the car. Strangers on the road look at me like, "What the heck is that??" 🤣

It proves music is therapeutic and can bring Healing to the heart and soul no matter what form it takes or the circumstances involved

It proves music is therapeutic and can bring Healing to the heart and soul no matter what form it takes or the circumstances involved
It also shows that despite what a performer presents themself as in public, that often (or usually) doesn't apply to private life.

One of my favorite foreign recordings... (The four sisters are actually from New Mexico, but have had all their success south of the border)

Here's a recent "fun" song from Germany... Igel (pronounced the same as Eagle in English), is the German word for hedgehog... and some people think that Germans don't have a sense of humor! :laugh:

Another one for fun is Herb Alpert and TJB-Love Potion #9.
He took the song to a different level as an instrumental and made it a big band style and very sexy and a very fun sound.

Herb was cashing in on the popularity of David Rose's 1962 #1 hit "The Stripper" in his arrangement, and it was a perfect fit for "Love Potion #9." And actually, a perfect fit for the cover art. 😁

Back
Top Bottom