• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

What happen to all the Carpenters Contest Giveaways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I really enjoyed these past giveaways and wondered why they did not continue? Since this is after all A&M Corner and A&M was part of the history of Carpenters. There must be members here who know Richard or who have connections to get messages to Richard Carpenter. Richard must have many items he could offer up, if not he could sign different items, posters, CD's, album covers, official fan club merchandise etc, etc...Maybe even some fans here would depart with their memoribilia (instead of offering it on ebay) and offer it up to moderators here to supply the product that is givenaway/contest every 4-6 months. (yeah I'm pushing it but hey, maybe it's possible)

Prior search of forum show Richard was involved in this forum back in 2005 with such giveaways/contests.

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5877&highlight=giveaway

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6616&highlight=giveaway

If not monthly (I'm sure that won't happen lol), but something should occur at least every 4-6 months. I know it probably takes alot of someone's time to plan this but I think it would be cool, why couldn't someone present this to Richard and ask if he would be on board with this. I was so excited to get that signed Gold CD framed limited edition even if it was 2nd hand, I am proud to have it hanging on my wall in my gallery room, knowing that Richard himself signed it. I know I will never meet him in my lifetime but I think it would be cool to have kept this giveaway/contest going especially from this website...a name where Richard and Karen called "home".

Would the owners of this forum support this idea?
What do other A&M forum members think? ideas?

And it was nearly a month ago, my wife & I drove down to Ohio to see Bobby Goldsboro in concert & I got at least HALF of my collection signed...!

Dave

Actually,this would be an awesome idea. I wasn't here back then to participate in that, to do so would be a blast.

So,anybody got Richard Carpenter's number?

:D

Well, based on some other recent threads, it seems that "TheFunkyFakeTation" and "mr J." feel that they have Richard's "number"...

:)

Harry

Well, if Richard does see this, and I know he reads this, I think it would be a great idea to get some resurgence in some Carpenters interest.

Why the heck would Richard, after all the horrible things that are posted about him here on A&M Corner, ever want to do anything like this for anyone remotely related to this board? Maybe he will, but after all the mean-spirited things posted in other threads, if I were him, I wouldn't do it.

I would have to say the positive outweighs the negative on here by about 95 to 5%. Richard's been dealing with people liking and not liking his work since the 1960s so I don't think a couple of people posting negative things on this board is going to influence anything.

To answer the original question, those givewaways were coordinated by one of the moderators here who had a connection to Richard through Richard's assistant. That assistant no longer works for Richard so the connection might have been broken.

Richard's been dealing with people liking and not liking his work since the 1960s so I don't think a couple of people posting negative things on this board is going to influence anything.

I'm not talking about his work. How about the terrible things that are said about his relationship to his sister and about his mother?

Geographer said:
Richard's been dealing with people liking and not liking his work since the 1960s so I don't think a couple of people posting negative things on this board is going to influence anything.

I'm not talking about his work. How about the terrible things that are said about his relationship to his sister and about his mother?

It's something,sadly,that he's probably used to. No doubt he has a pretty thick skin with all the garbage that's been launched his way the past 27 years.

If Richard does indeed read or keep up with these forums, I hope he realizes that those few voices who hold "a certain point of view" are that...a few. Most of us here appreciate and still are grateful for the catalog of great music that he made with Karen, and that he has our utmost respect and support.

Geographer said:

All of which is rather ironic considering that I'd hazard a guess that none of us know any of them personally. As such, no one has a right to talk about much of anything other than the music, really.

Ed

We have freedom of choice to talk about anything. As a celebrity...he knew what he was getting into, as was Karen. And it's way worse nowadays as to what they went thru in their day....paparazzi, tabloids etc.

We have a RIGHT to talk about The Carpenters...it's human nature to want to know things...which is why there are documentaries, books, movies on them, and NOT just talking about their music!!

My thoughts,
Cameron

cam89 said:
We have freedom of choice to talk about anything. As a celebrity...he knew what he was getting into, as was Karen. And it's way worse nowadays as to what they went thru in their day....paparazzi, tabloids etc.

We have a RIGHT to talk about The Carpenters...it's human nature to want to know things...which is why there are documentaries, books, movies on them, and NOT just talking about their music!!

My thoughts,
Cameron

Well, yeah, no one's clamping our mouths shut but we hardly have any real authority to prattle on about things with which we are fairly unfamiliar. I just think it's really unfair to personally bash someone without personally knowing them. The books and the miniseries have been interesting. However, without walking a mile in someone's shoes...

Ed

Of course we have the "freedom" (and I use that term lightly, because often our opinions and discussions are at the whim of the moderator who might, at his or her discretion delete, lock, or chastise any particular thread) to say/write anything; however, words have meaning and those meanings often have consequences.

The original question/request was to have Richard participate in some contests here on A&MCorner. Richard doesn't have to do anything. And to expect that he would participate after the horrible things written about him and his mother is just, well, stupid.

often our opinions and discussions are at the whim of the moderator who might, at his or her discretion delete, lock, or chastise any particular thread
Only if the discussions veer into the personal lives of the artists or their families. Nobody ever got a thread deleted for discussing the music.

...and part of the reason for the moderation decisions is BECAUSE we value the participation of the artists we admire. By having members cast personal aspersions upon them, only makes them LESS likely to join us here.

Harry

Harry said:
...and part of the reason for the moderation decisions is BECAUSE we value the participation of the artists we admire. By having members cast personal aspersions upon them, only makes them LESS likely to join us here.

Harry

Agreed. We all may have our opinions, and we have the right to them, but we must be mindful that the people we talk about here are,well, people. They are flesh and blood human beings with feelings. We can have opinions,and speculate about A, B or C,but we have no right to point fingers over things that have happened in the lives of people we don't know.

I personally have been angered and sickened over some of the things and accusations that have been made towards Richard and others on other message boards and places on the web. If I, a 30 year old guy who doesn't know any of these people from Adam can get bent out of shape, imagine how the person who these horrible things are being said about feels? :sad:

However,I would hope that Richard understands that most of us here aren't crazy or cruel. While we sometimes have strong opinions over certain events and occurrences, we are here because of the art that he helped make 30-40 years ago touched us so much in various ways. Across generations and walks of life, we come here and discuss and post because we care about The Carpenters and their MUSICAL legacy. We are here because we admire him and his late sister, and that will never change.

Ok so why do u think u know what Richard is thinking and how he feels do u know him. Who used the word expect?? Your making it seem that since the book was written Richard is now mad at all the fanbase??? I think you should re-read what u posted. Your basically calling someone's idea stupid.??

Eh, so why go on these endless rants?

If there are ever any more "contest giveaways", I'm sure we'll find out about 'em, as they get promoted...

In mean time, let's just settle down & wait... More will come in due time & "exclusively here" (as they reach whoever'd promoted them here at The 'Corner)...

Otherwise, the basic question's been answered..., the personal stuff & mindless praddle over "health issues" & "family business", no one could care less about..., so let's all move on...

Dave

Dave, from my original post I was only trying to promote something fun that's all. There is so much negativity around here, posts seem to get twisted. I think that is my call to stop conversing for awhile. :) See ya!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom