• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

What Richard has done since...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Karen's passed away.

Help me list some of the things that Richard has done musically. How old was Richard when Karen passed away?

With all the talk recently about the concert he did years ago when Karen was on the big screen & Richard was playing piano on stage made me think how many times have I actually seen Richard either on tape or video since Karen passed away. I can probably count on my hands how many times. I wish there had been more. He could have grown quite close to the fan base on a more personal level. How emotional would it have been for him to do book signing or meet & greets throughout these years or even his piano concerts with meet & greets after the show.

Now he is getting up there in age & I look back from the time Karen passed away to right now & I think what did he do, what concerts did he give, who did he record with.

Can anyone who knows give me like a rough timeline from 1983 to 2004 all the things Richard did, Don't mention all the compilations as they are a given. I know he did his Time album then recorded with Akiko & some others. I know I'm missing alot. There are alot of years from 83-2004.

Guess I'm looking for some kind of timeline to see what all he has done.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
What has Richard done since Karen's passed away?

Well, he has reissued their albums & more compilations. He has done regular concerts, benefits and research, too.

I'd say he's done a lot, since 2/4/83!

Dave

Chris, don't take this the wrong way, but your question sounds very selfish.

I wish there had been more. He could have grown quite close to the fan base on a more personal level. How emotional would it have been for him to do book signing or meet & greets throughout these years or even his piano concerts with meet & greets after the show.

Richard has not been living his life to please you in the past 20 years. He has lived the life HE has wanted. He got married, and he and Mary are raising four (?) children.

Obviously, family is his top priority in life. No one should fault him for that. Another priority has definitely been to preserve the legacy of the music he and Karen made together.

Had he walked away from the business on February 5, 1983, who could blame him? He was a multi-millionaire. I'm sure he could have lived comfortably for the rest of his life without performing ever again. What we've gotten over the past 20 years has been icing on the cake.

So what if he doesn't do concert tours or book signings? It's his life -- he doesn't have to live only to please his fans. And I respect him for that.

Now he's getting up there in age

He's what, 57? You make it sound like he's 80...

I'm not meaning to offend with my response, but your question really rubbed me the wrong way.

Dan

I think that there are two possible reasons why Richard hasn't gone on extensive concert tours...

1) He doesn't want to leave his family for weeks at a time, nor does he want to drag them all over the place. This is perfectly understandable, and no one should fault him for this.

2) Sadly, there may not be enough interest, at least not outside of Japan. Richard HAD planned to tour America after his Time album came out, but album sales were so disappointing that he gave up on the idea. If many Carpenters FANS refused to buy the album, how many people would have bought tickets to see him? I don't think that there are enough of us diehard fans in any given city to fill a concert hall.

That said, it's not like Richard hasn't performed live in the last twenty years, he just makes most of his appearances close to home. Fans from all over the world have travelled to LA to attend his concerts at the Carpenter Center, and from the accounts I have read, he has made himself available to talk to the fans, give autographs etc. He also made an appearance at the fan convention in Downey, and he has always been willing to send autographs to people who write to him. Several years ago a friend of mine, who was being treated for anorexia at the time, wrote a letter to Richard thanking him for the Carpenters music, in which she found solace. He replied with a handwritten letter of encouragement, and several weeks later, he sent her another letter, inquiring about her progress! Never let it be said that Richard doesn't care about his fans!

I agree with Dan that Richard doesn't really owe us anything. He's dedicated to his family, and being a hands-on dad. More power to him, I say! I'm thankful that he has taken the time to preserve the Carpenters music, and to release much of the music from the vaults.

Murray

Here, here! Our very own Sir Murray!! You are our knight in shining armor!! I ditto your comments heartily. I think Richard has done quite alot in the past 21 years since Karen's passing. And he's NEVER forgotten his fans. He thinks of us all the time and is always listening to us and responding to our requests. The up and coming website is testimony to that. I know it's a "fan" thing to always want MORE! Heck, I'd love it if he and his family lived next door! The fact that he wants to be a hands on dad is more to his credit. Trying to raise 5 kids to be responsible adults in today's world is a major feat!

Chris, I don't really take offense at what you have said and asked for. Maybe you didn't mean it like we're interpreting it.

Marilyn,
who truly believes that Richard does care!

Yes, I think you may have taken it the wrong way, it was not a negative post but rather one I was looking for information only. There are so many timelines about Karen-what she was doing at this time in her life, what she was working on & doing but not much about Richard. Of course Richard doesn't owe us anything & I'm glad he preserved the legacy, I'm not expecting anything from Richard. I was just looking for what he did each year or every couple years since 83.

Seeing this in an outline form...I may say to myself, hey I didn't know he did that or heck I wonder if I could get that on tape or hey maybe I will listen to that recording that he made w Veronque (sp?) from Canada? I know he did some short interview clips on places like Entertainment tonight. Then I remember someone here saying that he was on Solid Gold sometime in the later 80's singing a Christmas song? I know he worked with several musical artists by either producing there CD's or actually singing with them but I don't know what years he did this. Did he ever give a concert in Japan after Karen passed away?

Yes, I know he raised a family & that is great, I'm not putting him down, you misread my post, sorry if I made you think otherwise.

Sometimes seeing things in a timeline help me to remember where Richard was & what he was working on at the time.

Dan, it wasn't really a question but more like just info, sorry to have got you upset that was not my intention. I know there are alot of diehard fans here much more knowledgable than me & I'm sure someone here knows what he did every year. But if not, that's fine too. Perhaps I didn't title the thread correctly.

According to the liner notes in ...TIME..., Richard worked on the dual-CD Carpenters set for a while, then began work on his own album,which was halted for a year or so while A&M upgraded the studios. ...TIME... finally came out in 1987.

1989 must've been a busy year for Richard, producing three albums for Akiko, Scott Grimes, and my favorite Veronique.

I wish that the Veronique project had gotten more attention - it's really a good album, and one that I listen too quite often.

Harry
NP: VERONIQUE

I would simply like to add my own commentary here Chris regarding your thoughts on Richard because quite honestly - you deserve it.

The question asked by Chris is one that I myself have brought up many times in my own mind regarding what Richard has been doing with his musical talents. I KNEW as soon as I heard that Karen had died (I was living in Spain at the time and found out 2 weeks AFTER she had died) that Richard was going to be left with a HUGE hole in his life without Karen. I recognized then AND now what not hearing Karen sing again meant to me and even more importantly to Richard.

Richard lost his sister.....His professional partner and in his own words, a true friend to him. His sister.

Someone he loves.

"That VOICE !"

Karen was and is gone in every real sense of of the word.

Sure, he may have the outtakes and a personal concert collection *assuming that this is even true*. But more importantly, Richard was now.......

Alone. No Karen to sing his music.

Gone.

Anything that Richard gives us from that point in his life has to be one of the most upsetting things that he has ever done without question. I don't think that money is his motivating factor at all. He's still out there TRYING to satisfy our obsessive demands of MORE MUSIC WITH KAREN !

Can any of us imagine his loss?!

I don't mean to belittle any of you or myself by this post. I really don't.

We need to be more accepting of the fact that Karen is gone. Never to return. Karen left us too soon. Something that I have finally come to understand. Doesn't mean that I'm not angry at her loss though .... and miss her soooo very much. God - how I miss that wonderful voice.......

So.

That is that my fellow Carpenter's fans. I'm so glad that I have this forum that you so honestly share with me.

Thank you Chris for your comments.

Clearly it is not a demand or condemnation of Richard's musical out-put, efforts or priorities. This was simply someone innocently inquiring about the man and his past/present lifestyle and interests. A harmless post that has garnered needless petty criticism.

I empathize with Richard's continuous efforts to preserve, restore his body of music in light of Karen's demise. As a fan of his professional body of work, I too wait and wonder what and if there will be further productions. This type of anticipatory behavior has led to overwhelming record sales and a great deal of listener satisfaction. I encourage Richard's kind out-pouring.

Enough said,

Jeff

Wow .....from original posting .....I understood Chris was seeking a timeline / dates / info of key Richard projects & events :confused:

Certainly brought up various replies, attitudes & responses from many members ....while I agree with the overall belief that Richard works at his own pace and on the projects HE wants to do ....Chris was simply asking us all for Richard's career post -Karen :o

Will try to add -Richard chronology -of main projects -in separate post.

Peter
Was it something someone said....? :wink:

Well, I thought from the way the original posting was written, I thought it would LIST what Richard has done. I didn't think it was asking... (ie: "What HAS Richard DONE since Karen's Passing?")

I'm sure Richard's ability to keep the music alive by giving us countless reissues and compilations, as well as other projects speaks for itself.

Dave

engineer said:
Chris, don't take this the wrong way, but your question sounds very selfish.

I wish there had been more. He could have grown quite close to the fan base on a more personal level. How emotional would it have been for him to do book signing or meet & greets throughout these years or even his piano concerts with meet & greets after the show.

Richard has not been living his life to please you in the past 20 years. He has lived the life HE has wanted. He got married, and he and Mary are raising four (?) children.

Obviously, family is his top priority in life. No one should fault him for that. Another priority has definitely been to preserve the legacy of the music he and Karen made together.

Had he walked away from the business on February 5, 1983, who could blame him? He was a multi-millionaire. I'm sure he could have lived comfortably for the rest of his life without performing ever again. What we've gotten over the past 20 years has been icing on the cake.

So what if he doesn't do concert tours or book signings? It's his life -- he doesn't have to live only to please his fans. And I respect him for that.

Now he's getting up there in age

He's what, 57? You make it sound like he's 80...

I'm not meaning to offend with my response, but your question really rubbed me the wrong way.

Dan

Everybody's questions rub you the wrong way. Lighten up!

...I am now back from Costa Rica...

NP: Led Zeppelin Stairway to Heaven

This thread has derailed, quite badly I might add. I suggest in the future, if anyone has a problem with a post, please report it to a moderator. The negativity in this thread is disturbing. Any future replies like the second post in this thread will be dealt with appropriately--we will not tolerate thread craps in this forum.

Thanks. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom