• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

What will LOST TREASURES hold???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardWarner

Contributor
So what will be on Lost Treasures?
- Mexican Drummer Man
- El Bimbo
- Whistle Song
- Fire & Rain
- "Whistle While You Work"?
- "California Girls"?
- as yet unnamed John Pisano and Ervan Coleman songs?

(Split for separate discussion)

I suppose -- unless a complete version is released later in the schedule -- we can hear the known tunes intended for the third reunited TJB LP, which are "El Bimbo" & "Whistlestar" (single-only rleases) as well as "Neverland" & "Desert Dance" (from the Midnight Special appearance) and "Somewhere" (from their appearance on The Dinah Shore Show).

Others include, of course, "Mexican Drummer Man" (which stylistically fits nowhere in the TJB canon), "Fire & Rain" and "Music To Watch Girls Go by." There any number of Medleys recorded over the years as well...

Personally I think we'll be getting all of these as well as some surprises we never saw coming...

--Mr Bill

Webmeastro Rudy said:
I may have an idea next week.

Such a tease! But that's the trade off I guess - I get the hot inside secrets on I.R.S. Records and you get it for A&M. Tough break!

--Mr Bill

"Music to Watch Girls By" and the medleys from the concert programs...

Good ones; I'd love to hear those again - I have heard both of those played in concert by the TJB...

Mr Bill said:
Such a tease!

Wish it was a "fun" tease though...trying to get this is sometimes a case of "hurry up and wait" that is about as much fun as getting a root canal without a shot of novocaine.

Given the newly produced tracks, I can't really imagine how many of the B-sides will make it onto this new disc. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose.

Idea: Maybe the "Lost Treasures" will be songs that have NEVER been released before. It's probable that more tunes were recorded for each LP than were used. More familiar tracks like "Whistle Song" could be added to appropriate albums as bonus tracks.

Of course, Badazz did say the albums would be released "as was," so that would preclude bonus tracks. But minds can change midstream.

Maybe I'm hoping for too much....a whole CD of Lost Treasures AND bonus tracks? Mustn't get greedy! :D

I just wonder, with the newly completed tracks AND the B-sides and unreleased tracks...would they all fit on one disc? That is why I am curious to know the track lineup.

Perhaps when this comes we'll see it's really called LOST TREASURE Volume 1...

--Mr Bill

Don't forget THE ME IN YOU and the Sol Lake tracks that never were released...there are about a dozen or so of those to draw from. Should be enough for a double disc, if Herb chooses to include everything.

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
Don't forget THE ME IN YOU and the Sol Lake tracks that never were released...

"The You In Me" was a solo track of Herb's, and was released in '77. The promo for this thing said "rare AND unreleased tracks from '63-'74". Most of the songs released in the 60's were between 2-3 minutes each, so it's possible for about 20-25 tracks could be on this altogether.

But this is all guess work. How about just waiting for the thing to come out and THEN talk about it... :|

Capt. Bacardi
...trying to be logical online...

Cap'n, speculating is half the fun! :) (Although it CAN be disappointing when the dream item you were hoping for doesn't show up on the actual release.)

When did the TJB record "Music To Watch Girls By"? I know they performed it as part of a medley of "songs that have been awful good to them in the last few years" at the 1969 Royal Festival Hall concert, but I have never seen it on vinyl.

David,
curious.........

thetijuanataxi said:
When did the TJB record "Music To Watch Girls By"? I know they performed it as part of a medley of "songs that have been awful good to them in the last few years" at the 1969 Royal Festival Hall concert, but I have never seen it on vinyl.

The TJB has never released "Music To Watch Girls By" at any point. As you say, it has been performed in concert by them.

Capt. Bacardi

thetijuanataxi said:

David,
curious.........

The TJB never did record that tune...The Bob Crewe Generation did; and the instrumentation was very similar to the TJB. The TJB DID play it in a few live venues. A lot of people thought it was a TJB tune, and they DID play it in concert...but Herb never recorded it.

I'm concerned about some of the tunes that we've assumed would be included in the Rarities collection that weren't released until 1975, like EL BIMBO, WHISTLESTAR, et al...presumably, these were tracks for a third TJB album that never materialized. If the cutoff date for tracks really is 1974...they wouldn't make the cut. Unless they were recorded in late '74, that is...

Maybe the LOST TREASURES will be a 2 CD set...

Dan

Plucky87 said:
Who did release Music To Watch Girls Go By?

As someone above said:

DAN BOLTON (the aforementioned 'Someone Above') said:
The TJB never did record that tune...The Bob Crewe Generation did; and the instrumentation was very similar to the TJB. The TJB DID play it in a few live venues. A lot of people thought it was a TJB tune, and they DID play it in concert...but Herb never recorded it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they never recorded it... It is quite possible it was recorded and just never released. I suppose we may find out when Lost Treasures makes its debut in February...

--Mr Bill

I remember hearing "Music to Watch Girls By" by the Bob Crewe Generation on radio and assuming it was the Tijuana Brass. It sure did sound like them.

Mike Blakesley said:
I remember hearing "Music to Watch Girls By" by the Bob Crewe Generation on radio and assuming it was the Tijuana Brass. It sure did sound like them.

Me too...except my Dad pointed out that it was the Bob Crewe Generation right then and there. Pipe dreams, yuh know? :confused:

Jon

brasil_nut said:
Mike Blakesley said:

Me too...except my Dad pointed out that it was the Bob Crewe Generation right then and there. Pipe dreams, yuh know? :confused:

Jon

I remember the Bob Crewe Generation well, and we played an arrangement of Music to Watch Girls By in high school band back in the sixties. Ah, what a glorious time... :laugh: playing music and watching girls...anyone know how to make a living doing that? :cool:

I saw the TJB play it live...I was sort of surprised when I heard it, but I don't really know why, because it is a song that ft them very well. I wish they would have recorded it...

As many of you know, Philadelphian Bob Crewe had a very successful career in the music business,primarily as producer and songwriter for Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons from the very first hit,"Sherry",1967,on VeeJay. "Music to Watch Girls By" was written for a Pepsi-Cola ad campaign. Mac

Words were actually added to Crewe's instrumental, "Music To Watch Girls By", and Andy Williams had a hit with it, too! It's on his album Born Free, not to mention an abundance of Compilations...!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom