• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Where are they now..The musicians?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that Tony Poloso is no longer with us but where are the others? Can anyone tell me Tks Michael

Hi Michael! To answer your question, several are alive and well.

Unfortunately Doug Strawn passed away a few years ago from cancer. I've recently spoken with Bob Messenger and Gary Sims - both living in south Orange County, California. Bob plays regularly with a big band, and Gary is part of a vocal quartet for his church down in Dana Point.

I also spoke with Dan Woodhams a few months ago and he is living up in Northern California.

Haven't spoken with Cubby O'Brien, but friend Randy Schmidt has been in touch with him and he too seems to be doing well.

I've always felt it would be of some interest to gather---in one place--Richard Carpenter's
musings regarding the various Drummers utilized on various recordings.
The entire listing of different drummers would present an interesting exercise.
I have always admired Jim Gordon's drumming:
but, and this is where Richard's thoughts would come in handy---
what was he like in the Studio ?
What were Richard's (and, Karen's) interactions with Jim,
for instance, when asking for his drumming skills on a song such as "Only Yesterday" ?
In other words, how did the various egos come together in order to give us the brilliance of "Only Yesterday" ?

I have just worked with a drummer - mark s - who was called to "fill-in" after Cubby had a fall out with Richard in'79 . ....
yes, he had to learn by listening to their songs and recalled Karen hated MOST was having to do "We've Only Just Begun" ............

PS Cubby was born the SAME DAY as Donald trump

Chris, do you know about Ron Tutt who played on many of their later recordings?

Not too sure about Ron. I talked to Randy and I guess he connected with him about 8 years ago when he was writing Little Girl Blue. Ron wasn't too interested in an interview unless Richard was endorsing Randy's project. Soooooo, that one never happened!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom