• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Where I Want To Be-Single 45

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's real and the story on YouTube is accurate as fas as I know. I've never heard the song before nor encountered the record, but it sure does sound "Carpenteresque", doesn't it?

Harry

I heard this on YouTube a few days ago. And I wrote to antoher place something like;
I heard a part of Bob L. Mitchell single "Where I Want To Be" produced by Richard & Karen Carpenter. I felt familiar with this song. I am not sure if I have this song. This song reminded me of the Beamer brothers and I was hearing their CD. ("Ka Makani Ka lli Aloha" - Keola & Kapono Beamer)

David has a photo of label of promo copy at his site:
http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/mitchell.html

Off topic,
What was a song "I Can Live Without You"?

Sakura.

OK!!! Good Find!!! I remember in 1977-78ish the fan club newsletters had said Richard and Karen were producing an album for BL Mitchell...and I don't think I ever heard anymore about it. Not sure if it (the album) was ever completed or released. I have wondered about this for years!

The song itself reminds me very much of Amy Grant's "Grown Up Christmas List" in spots.

Harry

So I have all the fan club newsletters in a pdf file, his name is mentioned few times here is one of them. I never thought to look there.

NEWSLETTER #59 - May, 1978

They have also been busy working with a newcomer B.L. Mitchell, who was introduced to Richard by Joe Osborn some time ago. Bob also sings in the Kellogg's Raisin Bran commercial. K & H are sponsoring Bob. Richard will be the producer, Karen, associate producer of a B.L. Mitchell album. Bob's first single to be released very soon. will be "Where I Want To Be" "Venus". When the Christmas album, and Bob's album have been completed, Richard & Karen will begin work immiediately on another album of their own.

I can only think how many of these 45's are sitting in used record stores under Mitchell and most Carpenters fan never knew this. If someone finds one I'd be glad to purchase. :D

I posted the above quickly before work this a.m.
Here is the rest of the newsletters that mention this single for your interest.

NEWSLETTER #60 - July, 1978

The B.L. Mitchell single "Where I Want To Be/Venus" was released July and should be in your music stores now. We wish Bob every success with his first venture into the tough world of music. He is a tine vocalist, and the superb backing of Richard's and Peter Knights arrangements and orchestrate can only enhance the progress or his first single.
There is room for just a few questions and answers as follows: Q. Can we expect a new single in the near future? A. Yes. Decision not concrete to-date, but it is a toss-up between "Thank You for The Music" or "I Believe You". Q. Is there any info on the next new album? A. It is hoped to be completed by the fall. Some of the track include "Little Girl Blue", "When I Fall In Love" & "Dancing In The Street" Q. When will B.L. Mitchell's album be completed? A. Some time after the Carpenters two albums are finished.

NEWSLETTER #64 - April, 1979

Many members have expressed disappointment in being unable to obtain the last single "I Believe You" and the B.L. Mitchell single which Richard produced last year. I am happy to advise you a limited supply of both singles is now available through the fanclub to USA members only

I did obtain this through the fan club at the time, but no longer have it. BL Mitchell has a great voice and his style was well suited to a Carpenters production. There was not enough interest generated at the time to follow through though.

I just came across a portion of "Where I Want To Be" on You Tube. I got the single back in the 70's, through the fan club. I no longer have it though. I always thought B. L. Mitchell sounded like a Carpenter in style. :) Anyone know whatever happened to him?

The arrangement is reminiscent of the single version of "I Need To Be In Love".
As interesting as it is to listen to this song, I can not help but wondering what was
expected of this single in mid 1978, where is the impetus for radio ?
The June 1978 Newsletter says:
"...Mitchell was introduced to Richard by Joe Osborn some time ago..."
"Karen and Richard are sponsoring Bob....Richard producer, Karen Associate Producer of a B.L. Mitchell Album."
(1) What does that mean? 'Sponsoring' (i.e., did production costs for the record get placed against their royalties?).
(2) Was an Album completed ? (If so, then shelved.)
(3) Why was Peter Knight brought in for this song? (Or, was he brought in for 'the album'? --if completed).

I only hear "Carpenters" moments on the verses and of course, the intro.... Hearing those moments on something my ears haven't listened to before is priceless.

Interesting that they chose a more "Manilow-esque" arrangement for this fellow, and never took that route with Karen. I should rephrase that and add - fortunately, they never took this route for Karen.

I totally agree that Karen's voice wasn't meant for the thunderous crescendo of a 'Weekend In New England' finish... ----- I actually think I might enjoy this song better with more of a Karen treatment. 1:10 for instance, I think Karen may have gone lower on that note - instead of the higher octave...and it would have sounded prettier... (I love the verses - but they lose me on the bridge and the bombastic conclusion....)

That being said, SO VERY GLAD this was found and shared here!!! I thoroughly enjoy any snippet of something new - reflecting Richard's sparkling arrangements and truly gifted touch.

Last edited:
See it goes to show you never know when your answer may appear, in this case 5 yrs after I started this thread. Thanks for the upload and listen. There is something special about seeing Karen Carpenter as assoc producer on the label, special stuff.
:thumbsup:

Not sure if it (the album) was ever completed or released. I have wondered about this for years!
The album was never completed. Five tracks were recorded-and the project was subsequently put in limbo. In hindsight,this turned out to be a good thing-time and energy spent on the Bob Mitchell album would've meant less time & energy spent on K&R's own albums.

The five tracks are:

"Where I Want To be"
"Venus"
"Lately"
"Mad"
"Funny Faces"

"Karen and Richard are sponsoring Bob....Richard producer, Karen Associate Producer of a B.L. Mitchell Album."
(1) What does that mean? 'Sponsoring' (i.e., did production costs for the record get placed against their royalties
It means that A&M gave Bob Mitchell the record deal on the condition that Richard would produce the album(and,presumably,with no producer fee).

I hear the oboe! I'm shocked! :)

I like it a lot. Great performance and production. Would love to have heard K.C. sing it, of course.
I remember when I first heard this I wished it was Karen singing it! He did seem to have a style quite similar to K & R.

Wish I still had my vinyl 45's. Moving mishap involving an open motor oil can . . . not pretty. :shake:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom