• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

WILLIAMS/NICHOLS: ALL SIDES

WHICH WILLIAMS/NICHOLS SONG IS YOUR FAVORITE?

• 1.) We've Only Just Begun 3:04 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • 2.) I Kept On Loving You 2:13 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • 3.) Rainy Days and Mondays 3:40 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • 4.) Let Me Be The One 2:25 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • 5.) I Won't Last A Day Without You 3:47 (Williams/Nichols)

Votes: 10 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
Paul Williams Roger Nichols.jpg

This thread is dedicated to the songwriting partnership of Paul Williams and Roger Nichols.

I love all of these tunes, but 'Rainy Days and Mondays' takes the prize. I can't bestow enough praise on that song or the performance. It's the perfect marriage of singer and song, and it takes me back to hearing it for the first time in my sister's car back in 1971. I was 9 years old, and went to K-Mart and bought the single the first 62 cents I had. :)

As much as I love 'Begun', I also chose 'Rainy Days'. It's one of Karen's finest performances, her vocal perfectly matches the doleful arrangement and feel of the song. I remember watching 'The Karen Carpenter Story' for the first time and being mesmerised by her the sound of her voice playing out as the backdrop to what was happening on screen during the opening segment.

Begun- not even a second thought. As much as I love Rainy Days and Let Me Be the One, I'm with Dave. That first listen is what made me a Carps fan. It's everything many Carps songs were not: joyful, hopeful, and soaring. Beautiful vocal, perfect arrangement.

We've Only Just Begun! And I am a huge fan of the other choices... "So many roads to choose..."
  • It's a signature song of the Carpenters (and gets my vote over their other signature song, "Close to You").
  • It's the wedding song for a generation or more.
  • It has been called the blueprint for later ballads (such as "The Way We Were").
  • Great arrangement, great vocals (by both Karen and Richard), great instrumentation.

This being such a hard choice, I had to whittle it down by asking myself, "If I had only one quarter, and these were the five jukebox choices to make, which one would I choose?". And my answer was "I Kept On Loving You". Frankly, I've heard the other songs so many times on so many compilations that they almost go by unnoticed. But I always loved "I Kept On Loving You", not the least because it was different from most other Carpenters songs with Richard in the lead.

So, while the other songs are all great, I have to root for the underdog here. "Let Me Be The One" would be my second choice in this scenario.

Of the hits, "We've Only Just Begun" is probably the best of the lot.

Harry

As much as I love Rainy Days and Mondays, I'll have to go with We've Only Just Begun.
A brilliant song, vocals, overdubs and arrangement are superb.

Now *this* is a tough poll...

Apart from 'I Kept on Loving You', which while a nice enough song is a big step below the other four in terms of quality in my opinion, it's a stellar selection and to some extent you're splitting hairs to choose a favourite. Rather like their takes on Leon Russell's songs, all of which were top-drawer.

It's a tough choice between 'We've Only Just Begun' and 'Rainy Days and Mondays' - both would be in my Top 5 favourite Carpenters songs. But if I had to pick one, it would be 'Rainy Days and Mondays'. Not only is it my favourite Carpenters song, I think it's one of the all-time best songs in popular music. I'm struggling to think of another song that communicates so directly that feeling of melancholy that's so prevalent in the lyrics, the delivery and the arrangement. It's so pervasive that I sometimes have to skip it if it comes on my MP3 player if I'm not in the right mood to hear it, as it taps so directly into that downside of life that we all sometimes feel. But it does it so well. And to think that Karen was only 21 when she sang it. Just incredible.

Of course, Paul Williams also wrote 'Ordinary Fool', which would also feature in my all-time Top 5 Carpenters songs.

On the subject of Paul Williams, I remember being slightly perplexed by the somewhat 'precious' comments he gave to Randy Schmidt's book about not being happy with what they did in changing the bridge in 'I Won't Last a Day Without You' (on that subject, I think he's quite wrong - the bridges in the versions by Diana Ross and Barbra Streisand are much less effective) and complaining about the changes in pronunciation they made in their version of 'The Rainbow Connection'. I'd always thought Paul was quite a cheerleader of the Carpenters and their versions of his songs. Did they fall out at some stage?

These are all amazing songs. "We've only just begun" is the quintessential Carpenters track (IMO), as it has everything....the harmonizing, slow melody, upbeat part, Richard singing, etc. "Rainy Days and Mondays" is what most people would identify as one of their signature songs.

But the question was "what is your favourite?" So I am torn between "I Kept on Loving you" & "I Won't Last a Day without You".

I like "I kept on Loving you" because a) I am a guitar nut, and 2) it's fun to actually play yourself (and easy, lol). However I chose "I won't Last A Day Without You". It's very sweet & uplifting throughout the entire piece, and I always picture Karen smiling away while singing it ('77 TV Special)

Rumbahbah, you mention a rather interesting point in your posting.
I had forgotten about the remark (p.90 Schmidt) by Paul Williams regarding I Won't Last A Day Without You,
and I went back and (re)read it.
(And, I actually have never listened to any other version of the song except Carpenters--it's just that great).
Similarly, notice on his official (?) webpage biography:
PAUL WILLIAMS (Music and Lyrics) is an Oscar, Grammy and Golden Globe winning Hall of Fame songwriter. “We’ve Only Just Begun,” “Rainy Days and Mondays,” “You and Me Against the World,” “An Old Fashioned Love Song” “I Won’t Last a Day Without You” and “Let Me Be The One” are among his timeless standards. His songs have been recorded by such diverse musical icons as Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Willie Nelson, Ella Fitzgerald, David Bowie, Ray Charles, R.E.M., Tony Bennett, Sarah Vaughn, Johnny Mathis, Luther Vandross and Kermit the Frog.

The Carpenters are not listed as one of those "diverse musical icons". (Purposeful forgetfulness?).
Information taken from: http://websitedesigns-2-go.com/paul/index.htm

Even though "We've Only Just Begun" is indeed probably the finest Carpenters single ever, I had to be true to myself and vote for "I Won't Last a Day Without You", as it holds a special place for me in always remembering back during the C's prime years. It grabbed me back then and still does today for many reasons. It's amazing how much powerful material was packed on that "Song for You" album, especially considering all the weak commercial releases of pop music today.

My past-thoughts on the underdog of the line-up, "I Kept On Loving You":

-- To me, an Offering/Ticket To Ride leftover (it was from Close To You) that was an earnest and well-intended Paul Williams/Roger Nichols (post-Small Circle Of Friends/Roger Nichols trio) composition, that backing "(They Long To Be) Close To You", was sadly resigned to typical B-Side status.../quote]

I thought that song, though one I'd disliked at first, had the best Richard Carpenter vocal...

The overall mood of it somehow sounded like a left-over from the Offering/Ticket To Ride sessions, while it being a Paul Williams-written number couldn't compete w/ the block-buster "We've Only Just Begun" was (or "Rainy Days And Mondays"--which I'd forgotten to cite in my previous post), yet was a surprising '45' B-Side, then, if "Let Me Be The One" wasn't or just couldn't be...

--And it also should have been a hit!

Which actually, "I Kept On Loving You" sounds a lot like another Williams/Nichols comp. "Talk It Over In The Morning"...
I believe that "We've Only Just Begun" is merely portrayed (from what I saw in a TV documentary) as being the FIRST Paul Williams song Karen and Richard did, on the strength of how it was such a big hit...

That "I Kept On Loving You" never gets the recognition status it deserved was that it was simply B-Side Album Filler, if it was the real first song by Williams the Carpenters really covered...

-- Dave

-- Dave

Even though "We've Only Just Begun" is indeed probably the finest Carpenters single ever, I had to be true to myself and vote for "I Won't Last a Day Without You", as it holds a special place for me in always remembering back during the C's prime years. It grabbed me back then and still does today for many reasons. It's amazing how much powerful material was packed on that "Song for You" album, especially considering all the weak commercial releases of pop music today.

Hear, hear! All of these Williams/Nichols songs are fantastic and totally defensible for “top choice,” but I choose “I Won’t Last A Day Without You,” because in just under four minutes, it delivers the quintessential elements of a classic Carpenters record. Opening on a somber note, with a solitary piano and Karen’s milk chocolate voice, at once wistful and joyful, the song ends with the group’s trademark multi-layered vocal harmonies. So great the song, in fact, that (as we all know) it rose all the way to number 11 on the pop charts a full two years after the album’s release and after three subsequent single releases from the next album the following year. A pretty remarkable feat, I’d say. Plus, it’s included on perhaps their very best album. The Song For You album, and Carpenters, seemed unstoppable in 1973-74, and the record-buying public just kept returning for more. Some of us still do...

I don't think there was any kind of fall-out with Richard. I went to a screening in Chicago last year of the 'Paul Williams Is Still Alive' documentary. Paul himself was there in person, and he did a Q&A afterwards. He spoke very fondly of both Karen and Richard.

My votes are the same as Harry's--songwriting-wise, "I Kept On Loving You" is classic Nichols/Williams to me.

A couple of my favorites of theirs aren't in this poll (and weren't covered by Carpenters). "Out In The Country", "Someday Man" and others are worth tracking down.

That recent Roger Nichols & The Small Circle of Friends album Full Circle is quite good. From the sound of some of the tracks, Nichols finished work on what seemed like demos. Others are new recordings (like their re-recording of "The Drifter"). Like the original LP, Nichols is joined by Murray McLeod and his sister Linda, so the vocal harmonies are the same as they used to be. They do a version of "Out In The Country" along with "Let Me Be The One" (which is now my favorite version of the song).

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Circle-Roger-Nichols/dp/B001E2N5LY/

There is the one on A&M, plus Full Circle.

Based on the tracks from Full Circle, it seems some of these were demos that were recorded way back in the 60s. It surprises me that there was never a second A&M album.

I went for 'I wont last a day.......'.
There is something that has always made me think that it is sort of pure timeless class , that track. It sounds modern but also timeless, if that makes sense. It has some beautiful low notes and it's one of those songs thats like a little film in your head. I always imagine someone being 'touched' and then 'singing', then troubles disappearing and so on.
I prefer the remastered classics original album version, it sounds just natural to me and that's how Karen stood in front of the mike and sang it - albeit apparently with a rare sore throat as the chorus was doubled up artificially. The version without added guitars and not slightly sped up. The remix, especially in the opening few lines, is not just drenched it reverb , it's probably used an olympic sized swimmimng pool of it!
It was also used in the UK on a tv advert for PG tips tea bags a few years ago - I always used to love it when it came on, thinking there will be a rush of people thinking how much they love that song and going out and finding it and buying the album, well if they were sensible they would, then they could proceed to buy ALL the Carpenters albums!

It was also used in the UK on a tv advert for PG tips tea bags a few years ago - I always used to love it when it came on, thinking there will be a rush of people thinking how much they love that song and going out and finding it and buying the album, well if they were sensible they would, then they could proceed to buy ALL the Carpenters albums!
Perhaps the advert led a few people to discover the Carpenters music. However, given the sensibility of the average consumer, likely the only thing people rushed out to buy was a box of PG! :rolleyes:

By the way, I also voted for "I Won't Last A Day Without You".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom