Willie Nelson & Family - Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
On a last-minute impulse we drove up to Johnson City, TN, Sunday night to catch a performance by Willie Nelson and his band. The venue, Freedom Hall, appeared to be filled near capacity with over 2,000 present.

The stage appeared dark for most of the set due to some non-functioning stage lights, but the problem was corrected by near the end of the show. A large Texas flag provided a backdrop, and Willie generously tossed several of his hats into the crowd.

I particularly enjoyed the young female pianist's solos and some of Willie's jazz-oriented acoustic guitar work. The other guitars, percussion and harmonica players provided a lively accompaniment without overpowering the main act.
Many of Nelson's best-known tunes were contained, much to the joy of his audience, and he managed to work them in within apx. an hour and a half.

Whiskey River
Stil is Still Movin' to Me
Beer for my Horses
Funny How Time Slips Away
Crazy (written by Willie; made famous by Patsy Cline)
Night Life Ain't a Good LIfe, But It's My Life
Instrumental jam
If You Got the Money, Honey, I Got the Time
BLue Eyes Crying in the Rain
Georgia on my Mind
Mama Don't Let Your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys
Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground
Always on My Mind
Will the Circle Be Unbroken
I'll Fly Away
The Harder They Fall (Jimmy Cliff tune; Joe Jackson also covered)
Good Hearted Woman (In Love With a Two-Timing Man)
'Til I Gain Control Again
Jambalaya
Hey Good Lookin'
Move it On Over
Unnamed Guitar solo by Willie
Superman
I Saw the Light
City of New Orleans
Closing Jam

As the show ended, Willie tossed another hat into the crowd, and someone got knocked down in the scuffle to grab it. He walked down the hall quickly, signed a few autographs - thankfully I managed to get one - and hopped on his tour bus headed for his next gig 7 hours away in PA.
This was my first time to see Willie in about 10 years, but it's good to see he's holding up well in his early 70s.
Funny how time slips away, indeed.
JB

Jim said:
...He walked down the hall quickly, signed a few autographs - thankfully I managed to get one - and hopped on his tour bus headed for his next gig 7-hours away in Pennsylvania...

...I met a man in Tennessee, he was headin' home to Pennsylvania for some homemade Pumpkin Pie... :jester:

Sounds like you heard all of Willie's best stuff! A single-greatest influence on the Country Music scene! :wink:

Glad the "meet & greet" went well, too!

Dave

It doesn't sound like Willie did anything from his reggae album. Of course, down here Willie is a musical god.

Capt. Bacardi

"The Harder They Fall" might qualify as reggae, since it's a Jimmy Cliff tune. Joe Jackson also did it on a non-album EP.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom