📣 News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I??
I would say yes, even though these are brand new there can still be fine particles, dust or fine debris even record residue inside the grooves and any spec of just something minor will cause pops and crackles and over long term will wear out your needle cartridge. So don't be so quick to judge the record as being noisy until after its been properly cleaned.

I'm not saying you need to invest in a vacuum record machine (although that is a good idea if your serious about vinyl and preserving your investment) if you can purchase a record brush at least. A good record brush will help lift off some of that surface debris.

After I thoroughly clean mine with the proper fluid, I run it a few times on my record doctor machine then after its thoroughly dry, right before play I run an anti static record brush around the record as its spins on the turntable to remove any fine dust particles. It's made by Audioquest anti static record cleaner (it's made of super soft carbon fibers) it's very delicate so you have to be careful handling the brush and only touch the record lightly with those fibers as it spins. I've always had good results. However this type brush only removes light dust right before play. I also have a nitty gritty record cleaning brush that is made of like this soft velore type material which I use with the SuperCleaner II record cleaning solution before vacuuming.

So exciting to read all the unboxing and listening posts and comments here. Here in Holland the release is also set to December 8 and it will cost about €370 (!)

Wonderful to see finally see Richard again in a new video!!

Does the Singles LP contain the booklet that came with the original release?

I'm also wondering if the pop-noises in the second verse of "Lovelines" (most noticeable during the lines "...come on and take me, into that wonderland...") are gone now...

Greg

Harry, I'm curious if have you changed your mind or had any 2nd thoughts on buying this set? I was seriously going to wait but once I heard Richard talk about how CDs are missing that warmth and mastering this with just the right amount of highs that are missing in CDs that and the price I got pushed me over the edge. I figure we probably won't be getting any more LP sets like this of Carpenters in the future unless it's the Christmas ones bundled together or separate later.

For those who will open and listen, will you leave shrink wrap on the album? On the box?
I plan to use a razor blade to slice the shrink wrap around the opening of the box itself; so that the box won't get too fingerprinted or yellowed over time. I will probably leave sealed the LPs that don't "fold open" or need to "fold open" to remove the record.

Not to belabor this but while interesting to hear, it's proof that he's gotten older. Of course, we all do but it was hard to see the shakiness and hear the gravel in his voice. No disrespect intended; just lamenting his aging process is all.

Ed
It made me happy to hear how pleased Richard is with the resurgence of vinyl; almost as if it completes a circle for him to see their records reborn again after all this time. Also, I love the statement he made about the raw talent of their beautiful natural voices (no need for Autotune)! I agree. Personally, my owning this elaborate box set is a way of saying to others, "I'm proud to call Carpenters my all-time favorite group".

It seems such a shame that you have to go that route as it will work out more expensive for you at around $250 without the box also. I don’t mind gifting you $10 via PayPal if anyone would chip in likewise so you can get this set at the current Pre order price?.
That's really sweet of you. I am usually pretty broke after rent, cable, medicare, life insurance, food, gas & electric, but I will have to wait until after the first of the year, love my (our) Carpenters though. God Bless

I plan to use a razor blade to slice the shrink wrap around the opening of the box itself; so that the box won't get too fingerprinted or yellowed over time. I will probably leave sealed the LPs that don't "fold open" or need to "fold open" to remove the record.

Bags Unlimited has some excellent album cover sleeves. They aren't that expensive either. Might try those as the cellophane will go bad over time. Those bags won't.

bagsunlimited.com

Ed

When buying individual records, Soundstage Direct always sends them inside their own heavyweight outer plastic sleeves, which is a nice touch. I would definitely ditch the celophane and do exactly what Ed says--get some proper sleeves to store these in. I haven't seen a dust jacket for a box set, though, although you'd think something like that must exist somewhere.

Gosh I was so excited to read the comments that you folks have I’ve woke up early to read more!, it’s only 5am here but I was very excited when reading all you have to say. I’m guessing the set gets a thumbs up from everyone?. I already have a vacuum record cleaning machine that will come in handy in a few weeks, it is interesting to read that some folk have received theirs in enhanced protection!. I really am looking forward to playing a brand spanking need copy of “ Song For You”, I have it 8 times and bought what looked like a flawless mint copy last week which didn’t have a single blemish on it and it still had a few pops in my favourite tunes. Roll on 8th Dec. Interesting to read about people who are keeping these in the cellophane?, I tend to do this but will buy those resealable wraps for albums which need to be folded out to access the vinyls. I will be opening them up with a Stanley blade also to keep the original outer wrap on the single albums as much as possible. And likewise for the outer slipbox leave that wrap on and cut a C shaped flap to keep as intact as possible. It’s a shame they don’t make a heavy duty cover to go over the box itself like that “Collected” outer cover?.

Last edited:
these reviews are great, keep them coming ! I am going to wait and get it as a Christmas present as I am also getting a new record player for Christmas (the one I have is a starter player I got for about £40. It was my first)

Gosh I was so excited to read the comments that you folks have I’ve woke up early to read more!, it’s only 5am here but I was very excited when reading all you have to say. I’m guessing the set gets a thumbs up from everyone?. I already have a vacuum record cleaning machine that will come in handy in a few weeks, it is interesting to read that some folk have received theirs in enhanced protection!. I really am looking forward to playing a brand spanking need copy of “ Song For You”, I have it 8 times and bought what looked like a flawless mint copy last week which didn’t have a single blemish on it and it still had a few pops in my favourite tunes. Roll on 8th Dec. Interesting to read about people who are keeping these in the cellophane?, I tend to do this but will buy those resealable wraps for albums which need to be folded out to access the vinyls. I will be opening them up with a Stanley blade also to keep the original outer wrap on the single albums as much as possible. And likewise for the outer slipbox leave that wrap on and cut a C shaped flap to keep as intact as possible. It’s a shame they don’t make a heavy duty cover to go over the box itself like that “Collected” outer cover?.

A “C-shaped flap”!! I hadn’t thought of that! Perfect for preserving a Carpenters box set! :wink:

Harry, I'm curious if have you changed your mind or had any 2nd thoughts on buying this set?

I've been teetering back and forth but ultimately held off. Early reviews here seemed somewhat positive, but I'm reading a negative review over on another forum where a member came HERE for confirmation of what he was hearing, only to conclude that the other albums he bought were going back.

Knowing of human nature, I myself am wondering if that other poster was reading the correct thread here. When there are two current, new releases and two different threads with these titles:

CARPENTERS COLLECTED VINYL
CARPENTERS VINYL COLLECTION

...it's easy to get them confused. Not to mention the other thread we have going about:

TIME-LIFE CARPENTERS COLLECTION.

That's enough to confuse even US!

Anyway, his review has scared others away, so I'm not sure we'll hear too much more about it. But hopefully others will chime in with their reviews as they open the boxes that they've ordered.

But for now, I'll remain content with my original vinyl.

I have used my Spin Clean MKII to clean before listening.

A Song For You was beautiful. Ended last night with side one on Now And Then. It was great. Will start listening later this evening.

Can’t wait for Horizon.
Jonathan

I've been teetering back and forth but ultimately held off. Early reviews here seemed somewhat positive, but I'm reading a negative review over on another forum where a member came HERE for confirmation of what he was hearing, only to conclude that the other albums he bought were going back.

Knowing of human nature, I myself am wondering if that other poster was reading the correct thread here. When there are two current, new releases and two different threads with these titles:

...it's easy to get them confused. Not to mention the other thread we have going about:

Anyway, his review has scared others away, so I'm not sure we'll hear too much more about it. But hopefully others will chime in with their reviews as they open the boxes that they've ordered.

You're right, that is pretty confusing. So far I haven't opened and listened to any of them from the box set except Ticket, Close to You and Lovelines. Only real complaints I have to this point are the reproduction of the "Horizon" cover photo (not terrible, but noticeably off) and the fact that my Ticket LP fit unusually tightly onto the spindle -- had to be kind of careful about pulling it off. The sound has been good. Granted, that's only 3 LPs out of a 12 LP set. And I'll be very disappointed if Horizon isn't pristine, as that other poster is saying. Not in any rush to listen to them all immediately though. And, having bought ~$30 180g vinyl this year that actually did skip in multiple places, I'm relieved this set seems to be better than that.

That poster from the other forum is mixing the reviews for Collected with the new vinyl box set. First off I have read no reviews on this thread of any comparison between the new vinyl set and the original lp's. In fact I've read very little on sound quality here thus far. I think that poster needs to re-clarify their post over there and admit there were reading the wrong thread when giving a review of the Lp's from the Vinyl Collection set.

There seems to be a consensus with the quality of the Horizon LP cover and that's a shame, one of my favorite covers. My original Horizon Lp is one of my quietest Lp's in my Carpenters collection.

Harry that's a shame (for me not you lol) because I always look forward to your reviews on new releases especially now that it's vinyl.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does everyone think Richard meant when he said in the video that he felt it quite "surprising" the resurgence of vinyl to the mass market. I didn't really understand his use of the word surprising.

Richard came from the era of vinyl so he knows what good vinyl can sound like so why would he be surprised that the world is re falling in love with this format? When he paused and was trying to find the right word I could have sworn he was going to use something like, "wonderful" "exciting" or "I knew something like this would happen again because we audiophiles love our vinyl" or something like that.

I just can't get excited about a new vinyl release. Yes, I appreciate the warmth of vinyl - I always bought vinyl and not cassettes or 8-tracks - but that's part of it - I do HAVE all of the vinyl. Everything from an original OFFERING up through Richard's TIME and LOVELINES.

It's not something I need. These will (or should be) all original mixes, just like the Remastered Classics. There won't (or shouldn't) be and remixes, nothing new to catalog and enter into databases. It's just a re-release of what was new back in the '70s.

And yet there's that pull - a new Carpenters release. It's tough.

What does everyone think Richard meant when he said in the video that he felt it quite "surprising" the resurgence of vinyl to the mass market. I didn't really understand his use of the word surprising.

Richard came from the era of vinyl so he knows what good vinyl can sound like so why would he be surprised that the world is re falling in love with this format? When he paused and was trying to find the right word I could have sworn he was going to use something like, "wonderful" "exciting" or "I knew something like this would happen again because we audiophiles love our vinyl" or something like that.

Honestly Rick I think he just realizes that the later generations have a lack of appreciation, insight or even ability to recognize the difference...sad as that may be. I'm going to sound like my father here, but unfortunately technology has made everything easy and convenient. In the old days you had to work harder, but the end result was worth it (i.e. taking an LP out of its sleeve, cleaning, playing on a player that is maintained etc). Nowadays you pull something up on your phone and verbally tell it to play something that has been digitized and compressed. The rest is all done for you.

Easy and convenient doesn't always equal better however! :wink:

I just can't get excited about a new vinyl release. Yes, I appreciate the warmth of vinyl - I always bought vinyl and not cassettes or 8-tracks - but that's part of it - I do HAVE all of the vinyl. Everything from an original OFFERING up through Richard's TIME and LOVELINES.

It's not something I need. These will (or should be) all original mixes, just like the Remastered Classics. There won't (or shouldn't) be and remixes, nothing new to catalog and enter into databases. It's just a re-release of what was new back in the '70s.

And yet there's that pull - a new Carpenters release. It's tough.
I completely understand what your saying. I guess another reason I bought this was not so much to have it out shine or be better sounding than the originals (though that would be nice) but to own it and not later regret buying it at much higher prices like I've done with certain CD sets in the past. I also think (can't confirm yet) that it's got to sound better than Collected as far as the mastering process.

If it helps at all....I almost look at purchasing this stuff like CD's in the fact that I had all the original 70's and 80's CD's but yet here I was buying up new CD's of remastered stuff and then CD's sets of compilations like Sweet Memory and all the Japan Box sets and Singles Collections on CD.

I have all the original vinyl releases like you so why am I buying the same thing again on the same format because it's newer? Sounds like my obsession with CD's too. Ha Ha

Considering that since 1990 every where you turned you were hearing that “vinyl is dead”, and people were comparing it to Betamax, I think, especially after the December 2016 reports of vinyl outselling digital copies, he’s as surprised as everyone else.

I completely understand what your saying. I guess another reason I bought this was not so much to have it out shine or be better sounding than the originals (though that would be nice) but to own it and not later regret buying it at much higher prices like I've done with certain CD sets in the past. I also think (can't confirm yet) that it's got to sound better than Collected as far as the mastering process.

If it helps at all....I almost look at purchasing this stuff like CD's in the fact that I had all the original 70's and 80's CD's but yet here I was buying up new CD's of remastered stuff and then CD's sets of compilations like Sweet Memory and all the Japan Box sets and Singles Collections on CD.

I have all the original vinyl releases like you so why am I buying the same thing again on the same format because it's newer? Sounds like my obsession with CD's too. Ha Ha

Exactly! And I like what you said about securing it now so as to not regret not doing so later. It could go either way with all of this but we need to remember, aside from hardcore fans and audiophiles, there is still a general public market for this stuff too to some extent. There are plenty of less-critical ears that will still pay a hefty price for it! Get it now because as we've seen with a number of releases and some of the Japanese sets, this too will most like skyrocket in price. At least we shall see :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom