• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame: "Carpenters"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, absolutely - music not exactly Rock? Who gives a good crap - talent like this should not be excluded from any Hall of Fame...

Again, their criteria is not Rock music; it's the Rock era. It's about a time period, not a genre of music. They should long since have changed the name to Music Hall of Fame as this has thrown many off for years.

I think it'll be interesting to see the shift in the selection of inductees we'll get as a result of Jann Wenner's exit from the board. We may have seen some of that this year already. There's no arguing Karen's influence on vocalists - male and female - who have followed. While the genesis of Carpenters' vocal arrangements come from elsewhere, Carpenters' did have their own sound. Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis and others have spoken of the influence of Richard's vocal arrangements on the sound they came up with (listen to Janet Jackson's "Come Back to Me" for evidence). Karen is Carpenters' calling card for sure but that vocal sound doesn't exist without Richard's arranging and vocal sound. There really is no reason not to induct them based on this and I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen at some point.

Ed

Again, their criteria is not Rock music; it's the Rock era. It's about a time period, not a genre of music. They should long since have changed the name to Music Hall of Fame as this has thrown many off for years.
But the Rock Era is, loosely, that period of time during which Rock music dominated - the Rock time period is named after the predominate genre of music within it - if the intention was to honor only Rock musicians and artists then they should not have inducted any artist performing other genres - but if their mission was to honor artists from multiple disciplines or genres of "popular music" then - agreed - they should not have called it the Rock Hall...

The original mission was Rock exclusively, but the mission became muddled and bastardized and finally ignored, and we've slowly morphed to a hodge-podge or smorgasbord of genres/artists...I'm all for "Music Hall of Fame".

The original mission was Rock exclusively, but the mission became muddled and bastardized and finally ignored, and we've slowly morphed to a hodge-podge or smorgasbord of genres/artists...I'm all for "Music Hall of Fame".

Well said. Pretty much my sentiments.

But the Rock Era is, loosely, that period of time during which Rock music dominated - the Rock time period is named after the predominate genre of music within it - if the intention was to honor only Rock musicians and artists then they should not have inducted any artist performing other genres - but if their mission was to honor artists from multiple disciplines or genres of "popular music" then - agreed - they should not have called it the Rock Hall...

Music Hall wouldn’t work either because thats too generic. That could mean anybody in any era at any time in any genre. They should just add “Era” and call it the Rock Era Hall of Fame.”

Music Hall wouldn’t work either because thats too generic. That could mean anybody in any era at any time in any genre. They should just add “Era” and call it the Rock Era Hall of Fame.”
I suggested a few weeks ago "Popular (or Pop) Music Hall of Fame". Covers most of what's in there (there's very little in the way of obscurities---and those can be cited as influential artists).

I suggested a few weeks ago "Popular (or Pop) Music Hall of Fame". Covers most of what's in there

Yeah but that's still too vague. They need a name that nails it to a particular time frame. Popular Music could also include classical, opera, jazz, zydeco, anything.

I suggested a few weeks ago "Popular (or Pop) Music Hall of Fame". Covers most of what's in there (there's very little in the way of obscurities---and those can be cited as influential artists).
"Popular Music" takes in quite a variety of genres and styles over a rather extended period of time, from Colonial America thru today - but more commonly it encompasses mostly the music that has been widely favored during the Modern Era, perhaps the last 100 years or so, and should absolutely include the singers, musicians and composers associated with the wonderful music of The Great American Songbook period, roughly 1925 to 1955 and perhaps beyond. Some - myself included - consider this the best music ever produced, from the standpoint of the quality of its melodies and lyrics. The Big Band Era is included in this wider period.

Is there a Hall of Fame for this great music? If not, it certainly should be included in any "Popular" Hall...

Last edited:
Here’s the aforementioned Janet Jackson tune. Note the intro vocal stacks. Jimmy Jam has copped to Carpenters’ influence on the way Terry Lewis and he arrange vocals. It’s unmistakable here.

Same record label too :). I’ve always thought this to be the most beautiful of all her recordings and it’s on one of my Spotify playlists even today. I had the white picture sleeve UK 45 and was amazed to hear her singing the same song in Spanish on the B-side ‘Vuelve A Mi’.

I was teasing, a little. My point was, just about every kind of music was popular at some point. There are "disco" artists in the RnRHoF but that music isn't exactly popular these days either. That's why if they want to keep the focus on the "Rock Era," they need some kind of guardrail to delineate that. (I'm amazed to have had to go into this much explanation on this really simple thing!)

I was teasing, a little. My point was, just about every kind of music was popular at some point. There are "disco" artists in the RnRHoF but that music isn't exactly popular these days either. That's why if they want to keep the focus on the "Rock Era," they need some kind of guardrail to delineate that. (I'm amazed to have had to go into this much explanation on this really simple thing!)

It is odd, I agree. Especially since it’s already been delineated: “Rock Around The Clock” signaled the beginning of The Rock Era and it continues to this day. That was the first time a contemporary song went to the top of the charts. It really is that simple. Prior to that, it was Big Band and Great American Standards. While it began with Rock music, it’s gone on to delineate the time period from then forward.

Ed

I always wondered why Carole King was snubbed for so many years as an artist. She should have been one of the first women inducted. Her eligibility could actually have been earlier since she was recording in the 60's. I believe that The Carpenters should be inducted as well as many other artists of the rock and roll era that are continually omitted. Some examples- Petula Clark- Not rock but the most successful of the female artists of the British Invasion. The 5th Dimension-Great album and singles sales and quality singing. The Association-Great vocals and songwriting. Sergio Mendes& Brasil'66- Sergio is the most successful of the Brazilian artists. Diana Ross as a solo-what gives there? Barbra Streisand-most successful woman singer of all time-again, what gives? Judy Collins- From the same era as Joan Baez and quality albums but ignored. I think The Pointer Sisters were quality artists that should be inducted.
A pet peeve with me for Carole King is she begins too many lyrics with "like."

If nothing else, I think they should be considered because of the way "Goodbye to Love" transformed the traditional ballad into a power ballad, much mimicked later on, especially in the '80s. The Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame is supposed to be about influential artists. Casting Nixon's dubious "young America at its best" marketing aside (which Karen and Richard didn't agree with, but with which they were forever saddled), I think the Carpenters deserve inclusion because of their considerable influence, not least of which is the introduction of the power ballad. And yes, we all remember Karen for her uniquely intimate voice. But Karen on drums is pretty powerful criteria to consider for all the female drummers who followed her.

... The Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame is supposed to be about influential artists. Casting Nixon's dubious "young America at its best" marketing aside (which Karen and Richard didn't agree with, but with which they were forever saddled)...
But, old "Tricky Dick" was right - if they weren't young America at it's best then I have no idea who was - they were really nice people, they were law-abiding citizens, they treated their parents well, they were patriotic and supported the Constitution, they weren't abusing any illicit drugs - and they had colossal talent completely "off the charts" that they used to create great music that made millions of people very happy - in other words, Young America at its very best...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom