• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

39th anniversary box!? , April 5 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

SakuraSYayoi

SakuraSYayoi said:
636706_0.JPG

636706_2.JPG

636706_1.JPG

Sakura

The following is at CD shop page.
20080307carpenters.jpg

Earlier buyers can get Now & Then box
0412P-SP221.jpg

0412P-SP221
April 5, 2008
28,028Yen

Last time I checked Universal Music, I couldn't find information of this release, like various artists' box set which had single version of "Please Mr. Postman". CD shop will release this set.

I cannot find English information page of this box set. I don't know if they send oversea.

Sakura

CD's are
re-issue of paper sleeves (CD, Mini LP style, just like American LP)
30th original digital remaster
each CD has obi.

The Now & Then box looks great!!

Box is like book case, sides have Now & Then cover, the others are white, back has Carpenters logo.
Inside box is black with Carpenters logo. One side has Karen's picture, the other side has Richard's picture.

Here is the CD shop page which released this CD's. There is email address next to DISTRIBUTION"( right above).

Pre-orders have been shipped. They started to sell this at their shops this morning(about 11 hours ago).

Sakura

Last night (release date) they said the CD set is order.

Now they are in stock. Limited release, I don't know how many CD's they pressed.

Sakura

Hi Sakura

Do you mean that the 11 CD set comes inside the Now And Then presentation box shown?

Stephen

Yes! I LOVE that set!! Wow, that would be a nice this to have in your collection...I'm wondering now lol!

Thanks for posting :)

Stephen

It's nice to see they included 'Lovelines' for once. This is a true studio album collection, without the Christmas collections.

What does this retail at in other currencies? I don't know Japanese yen.

Do the discs have A&M-style labels like the old LPs? Or are they the red-&-silver-on-black style labels from the 30th Anniversary?

I'm still happy with my 35th Anniversary set, and I'm not looking to buy another one.

Harry

The labels are like the old LP's.

The difference with 35th Anniversary set;

Offering/Ticket to Ride
black box/Now & Then box(earlier purchase only)
booklet/liner notes
black chief with/without
obi without/with

This box may become my daughter's. :)

Sakura

Yuka wrote liner notes, and she doesn't post here lately or she doesn't update her site regarding Carpenter lately, so I guess she wrote them for 30th annviersary.

Sakura

This is an interesting artwork box collection, I like how they incorporated Now and Then and the special black insert artbox inside to hold the discs.

I'm still confused why this is being released? The labels are showing 30th Anniv. I have the 35th Anniv Black Box Set of 13 Disc which contain the 2 Christmas Discs.

So when the 30 Anniv Black box set came out did it contain the Offering cover Lp that the 35th Anniv did or Ticket to Ride cover? I don't see the Offerring cover in this set.

I personally don't understand the intent of this box set. Why pick NOW AND THEN as the theme for the set? Why not a different album? For that matter, why choose any individual album's graphics to house a box set of all of the studio albums?

One of the ones that would make the most sense in that regard might be the generic CARPENTERS album - it's plain and simple and IS the group's name. Another might be A SONG FOR YOU, being the title of their album with the most hits, and probably best all around. Yet another might be HORIZON, with its lack of title and fan-favorite picture on the cover.

Heh! Maybe the next several "anniversaries" will be marked with any or all of these!

I'll remain content with my 35th anniversary set and the Singles box. Those two were something really special, IMHO.

Harry

Harry said:
Why pick NOW AND THEN as the theme for the set? For that matter, why choose any individual album's graphics to house a box set of all of the studio albums?

Well, Now And Then does HOUSE a Box of Studio Albums...! :laugh:

--Why not then, enclose this whole, "complete works" in a "House on Neville Avenue" packaging--Front and Back--, seeing as the house there is going to be torn down anyway... :)

Dave

I forgot to write
numbering at box with/without.

These CD's are reissues of paper sleeves, 30th anniversary remaster.
The originals were released about 10 years ago by A&M Japan.
This time CD shop released them as 10 years anniversary.

I read that Richard allowed that
30th box had Offering cover.
They released paper sleeves of "Ticket to Ride" to sell separately.

The shop have sold other artists' reissues with their special boxes.
Last year another artist's albums from a label were released as paper sleeves(Mini LP style).
The shop made a special box. A fan managed to get the box. Other fans looked that they'd like
to have the box when they saw the special box at eBay US, although many of them pre-ordered
or ordered all of the paper sleeves by the artist at cdJapan.
So when I found this box at the net, I post this information to Carpenters fan sites.

I already post the information about 35th box. Many of you must have 30th box or 35th box,
some of you must have both boxes. You don't have to get the new box.
Maybe some lurkers would like to get it like another artist's fans.

I don't know much about the special boxes by the CD shop, but as far as I know, the special box art
was chosen from the artist's album, probably the most famous album cover. They don't have to create new art.

"Now & Then" is the most selling studio album by Carpenters in Japan.
A&M Japan always chose "Now & Then" for special plan with other artists;
Deka jake(2005)
special price(2005)
LP(2007)
SHM-CD(2008).
So it isn't odd that the CD shop chose "Now & Then" for the box.

I think "as time goes by" and "Carpenters Perform Carpenter", Japanese releases
are the same price as each this new paper sleeves.

Mini LP style costs more than normal CD case.
Another artist's paper sleeves different from normal jacket are sometimes 3000Yen.
So special flips, gate type, photo-envelope type may be said nice price.

Sakura

I think Now and Then was chosen because, as mentioned earlier, it was the best selling C's album, Yesterday Once More was the best selling C's single (and i believe one of the best selling singles ever by a foreign/international artiste), and 2008 is the 35th anniversary of both the album and single.

Just a guess!

I caved and got this set a few days ago. . The set is absolutely gorgeous. I was kicking myself when I realized that I missed this set the first time it surfaced. I just couldn't let it pass again. It arrived today. All I can say is "wow!".

The set is everything "Sakura" described. Each album is utterly faithful to it's LP counterpart - the labels on the CD's, the packaging, all of it. The only thing that deviates is the new copyright information that kinda has to be there. It's the coolest thing to see the original ochre label on CD's. It's absolutely amazing to look at. As for how it sounds, I haven't listened to it yet. I'll likely get to that tomorrow. When I do, I'll wax effluvial about it...:wink:

So far, great buying decision on my part...

Ed

Congrats, Ed!!

I'm happy to know that you could get the set. (I remember I wished I could buy the 30th box set, when I knew it was released and no more available.)

You changed your avatar pic? The previous one was Karen on her wedding day, wasn't it?

Sakura

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
I caved and got this set a few days ago. . The set is absolutely gorgeous. I was kicking myself when I realized that I missed this set the first time it surfaced. I just couldn't let it pass again. It arrived today. All I can say is "wow!".

The set is everything "Sakura" described. Each album is utterly faithful to it's LP counterpart - the labels on the CD's, the packaging, all of it. The only thing that deviates is the new copyright information that kinda has to be there. It's the coolest thing to see the original ochre label on CD's. It's absolutely amazing to look at. As for how it sounds, I haven't listened to it yet. I'll likely get to that tomorrow. When I do, I'll wax effluvial about it...:wink:

So far, great buying decision on my part...

Ed

It certainly is a treat for THIS collector to see all of those original A&M labels, innersleeves, and even the texture on the surface of the jacket, faithfully reproduced in miniature on these discs. I have the 35th Anniversary set with the Christmas albums included and it's just a joy to behold.

Enjoy it, Ed.

Harry

SakuraSYayoi said:
Congrats, Ed!!

I'm happy to know that you could get the set. (I remember I wished I could buy the 30th box set, when I knew it was released and no more available.)

Me too! When you posted these pics, I thought to myself, "There's no way I'm gonna find one of these." The link you provided was problematic for me as I couldn't figure out how to order. I took a blind stab at eBay and...surprise. I actually saw two of them there. I'm thrilled I did!

I listened to a CD I've never heard before: "Made In America" today. The sound is really nice. Very full sound without excessive high end. I'm happy to report that the sound is excellent so far. I'll dig deeper tomorrow when I have more time.

You changed your avatar pic? The previous one was Karen on her wedding day, wasn't it?

Sakura

Yes, I did change it. I had Karen's wedding photo for quite a while. I just thought a change was in order. Shall I return to Karen's wedding photo?..:wink:

Ed

Harry said:
It certainly is a treat for THIS collector to see all of those original A&M labels, innersleeves, and even the texture on the surface of the jacket, faithfully reproduced in miniature on these discs. I have the 35th Anniversary set with the Christmas albums included and it's just a joy to behold.

Enjoy it, Ed.

Harry

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the textures. It's really evident on the tan record. I'm amazed that they even got that right. Very nice indeed! I'm enjoying this set and I'm going deeper tomorrow...:wink:

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom