1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Official Review [Album]: "AS TIME GOES BY" (UICY-1060)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Sep 23, 2006.

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

1. ***** (BEST)

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. ****

24 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. ***

22 vote(s)
    37.9%
  4. **

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. *

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. CarpentersToYou

CarpentersToYou What I feel has come and gone before...

I really think they could have put together a DVD release for As Time Goes By. Interpretations was so short, I imagine this wouldn't be much longer. And the parts where they want to edit out the guest performers they could have shown stills of Karen and Richard.

It would be awesome having the MMM! medleys on DVD.

2. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

Make Me Laugh
    was mentioned above; I do not understand the song --which features the duo, yet representing so much of
    Richard Carpenter on lead vocal--I apologize, but he simply does not have a strong enough lead vocal.
    It is 1977, how are they being presented any differently, or better than, say, Make Your Own Kind Of Music ?
    ...here is a fairly clean/clear presentation:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh8myhJniTs

Rumbahbah likes this.
  3. Rumbahbah

Rumbahbah Well-Known Member

I think I've only ever heard this once before, but watching the clip back makes me realise why that's the case. This is exactly the sort of 'outtake' that really should remain buried in the vaults. It might have been fine for the purposes of appearing on a show in 1977 (although even then it's corny and lightweight), but it's not of sufficient quality to appear on a rarities CD/box set.

Gary, I'd completely agree with you re their presentation. Aside from a lot of the music that was recorded for them, I'm no fan of the TV Specials (and I'd consider 'Make Me Laugh' to fall within that genre as they were presented very similarly in both) as I don't think they presented Karen and Richard well at all and just reinforced the pre-existing image problems they were already experiencing.

Much as I love their music and Karen's singing, things like 'Make Me Laugh' and 'Christmas Alphabet' are absolute out-and-out misses that I'd never want to hear again.

GaryAlan and newvillefan like this.
  4. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Make Me Laugh is a track that does them no credit. It’s not memorable, the backing track is overblown and it’s not suited to their style at all. One for the permanent archive in my book. Going by this, it’s no wonder Richard hated the specials.

GaryAlan likes this.
  5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

“Make Me Laugh” is so different in style from their “Horizon” and “A Kind Of Hush” albums. I find that it’s grown on me. It’s not really a Christmas song, but I’d take it over “Sandy” or “I Believe You” any day. It should’ve been put on an album even just as an album track.

6. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

The Dorothy Hamill Special was early 1977, here is 1980:
    "She had been part of the Jerry Weintraub umbrella, along with stars such as Frank Sinatra and Neil Diamond.
    Weintraub likes to protect his stars, sometimes to the point of shelter.
    "That's not the way I want it," Hamill said. "I'm not Frank Sinatra. I'm the girl next door."
    She and Weintraub recently parted amicably, after what the trades might call, "philosophical differences."

More:
    ttps://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1980/12/13/dorothy-hamill-is-so-sweet-skating-toward-vegas/6032e7e8-8c35-4087-8e2a-2f3e0c8ee07b/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.aec2997ca7e0