• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

⭐ Official Review [Album]: "CLOSE TO YOU" (SP-4271)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 41 51.9%

Votes: 31 39.2%

Votes: 6 7.6%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JohnFB

Their music is so involving and unique that the feel-good sunshine groove can hold hands with the undercurrent of darkness in perfect harmony. I think everyone hears different things. That’s a sign of exemplary art to me.
The "feel-good sunshine groove" I hear and get - but "the undercurrent of darkness"? I can detect a slight trace of something like that in "Superstar", but where is that in CTY? The obsession for the guy with moon dust in his hair and starlight in his eyes? The stalking by all the girls in town?

I guess one can find dysfunction and pathos anywhere if one tries hard enough, even in the most innocent of adolescent-like lyrics - maybe even with the little lamb following Mary everywhere...

A&M Retro

This is easily one of the best descriptions I’ve read of their singular artistry, how such contradictory, paradoxical elements can be as irresistible, complex and evolving as they are in the hands of two scarily symbiotic siblings.
Thanks, Jarred! We think alike. : )

A&M Retro

The "feel-good sunshine groove" I hear and get - but "the undercurrent of darkness"? I can detect a slight trace of something like that in "Superstar", but where is that in CTY? The obsession for the guy with moon dust in his hair and starlight in his eyes? The stalking by all the girls in town?

I guess one can find dysfunction and pathos anywhere if one tries hard enough, even in the most innocent of adolescent-like lyrics - maybe even with the little lamb following Mary everywhere...
I was speaking in terms of their overall output. But, that being said, there are several examples where 'Close To You' was used to great effect in various documentaries. One that comes to mind is an ABC series from 1986 called "Our World". They created a scene showing bombs being released from bomber planes in Vietnam as the background played Karen's line, "Why do stars fall down from the sky?" It was pretty effective, but I know I'm getting a little off-topic here.

Last edited:

Jarred

Your resident analyst right around the corner.

Only a slight trace in Superstar? My goodness! Darkness consumes that song! I think Retro and I are responding to the dark tones in Karen’s voice and how Richard (consciously or not) crafted arrangements that grooved with an undercurrent of foreboding that complimented what naturally came from her mouth. Sometimes it’s more her vocal performance alone and sometimes it’s the arrangement intertwined with her that gives their songs a heavier air.

Sing is an example that sounds cheerful, but the naïveté of the choir and the wistful flute with her vocal gives the would-be featherweight song a dimension no other musical act could accomplish. Such is the case I feel with a cream puff like CTY - they raise it above easy listening and, for me, turn it into something more emotionally complicated, all while being pleasant and musically sophisticated.

Top Bottom