• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

As Time Goes By - Karen Vocal's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Only Yesterday

I was listening to this amazing cd and I fought that Karen sounds different on the songs: Leave Yesterday Behind and Rainbow Connection! Those songs are from '78 and '81 but she sings them different of the Karen / Ella Medlye for example.

Someone once said something about chest and head voice, can anyone explain this better? I think that change that we notice in her voice it's about that. In earlier years she used to sing with her chest voice than started to use the head voice. Am I right?

I think she sounds better with the chest voice!!! As Time Goes By has a lot of her greatest performances: Leave Yesterday Behind, It's Impossible, And I Love You So, California Dreaming and Nowhere Man are a genious work that only Karen could give....:cool: :D

I still think As Time Goes By just didn't get the recognition it deserves. Maybe cause it was never released here in the US but I still think this is a great Cd, there are some songs of Richard's (that I call filler) that I generally skip just to get to Karen's songs.

Why didn't we hear more from Richard on this New CD, I mean we waited sooo long for this to finally come out, I remember talking about it at Ran's old site & all the rumours & then it finally came out....I just don't remember seeing alot of reviews, did you? Then there was supose to be a Japan TV Program that used the actual recording of The Muppet Song, RainBow Connection..but I never heard much about it. I never saw any interview on tv about the whole CD. This is another reason why Richard needs an Official Website.

Sometimes, here in the US, I just feel like I got the CD but didn't get alot of behinds the scene stuff that I would have liked to have had straight from Richard. Thank goodness for Import CD's, I realy do love this CD.

I don't think so, it's been so long since it got released in Japan. I also remember hearing that Richard had such a difficult time with some of the tracks to be released in the U.S. So much "red tape" involved I think that Richard decided it was too much trouble & agrrevation.

I don't know but somewhere I heard this, long time ago. I want to say it was the Ella medley?

I always thought that Richard was still gonna release it in the US minus the tracks that he couldn't get permission for here in the US but I guess that whole project got scraped. What a shame though.

Some great songs on that CD.

Only Yesterday said:
I was listening to this amazing cd and I fought that Karen sounds different on the songs: Leave Yesterday Behind and Rainbow Connection! Those songs are from '78 and '81 but she sings them different of the Karen / Ella Medlye for example.

Someone once said something about chest and head voice, can anyone explain this better? I think that change that we notice in her voice it's about that. In earlier years she used to sing with her chest voice than started to use the head voice. Am I right?

I think she sounds better with the chest voice!!! As Time Goes By has a lot of her greatest performances: Leave Yesterday Behind, It's Impossible, And I Love You So, California Dreaming and Nowhere Man are a genious work that only Karen could give....:cool: :D

As far as I can tell Karen always sang with what is called the "chest" voice. When singing properly you inhale air through your diaphragm, which helps you to control your breath better, maintain longer notes and sing with rich tones.
The "head" voice, which is the improper way to sing is inhaling through your upper lungs. This way you do not have good breath control and lose your breath before you are finished singing your notes and your tones come out sounding nasaly and unsupported.

I think the change in her voice is that Karen did take some vocal training in the mid 70's to further develop her higher register.

I had to look back on some of my old college notes on vocal techniques.

I was a bit off on my earlier description of head voice and chest voice.

The Head voice is described as one of the higher ranges of the voice in singing or speaking, including the falsetto, in which you feel vibrations in your head.

here are some direct text notes: a kind of voice of high pitch and of a thin quality ascribed to resonance in the head; voice of the thin register; falsetto. In producing it, the vibration of the cords is limited to their thin edges in the upper part, which are then presented to each other.

The head voice I don't feel describes Karen's later technique because I don't feel her voice was ever thin. she always sang with rich full tones. I really like her later voice, the vibrancy of her higher octave. She handled those higher notes quite well. Of course it's her lower register that really makes her voice a treasure.

Thanks for your explanation Rick!!! You're very kind!!

But don't you think the way sings Leave Yesterday Behind its different from My Funny Valentine for example. In that same medley is the version of she singing This Masquerade the same from Now & Then or was it re-recorded for the show? I guess it's the first version, she sounds different!

Does anyone know something about that? Maybe you Rick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom