AlongComesMary8516.jpg

A&M 8516 Along Comes Mary b/w Yes Sir, That's My Baby single
re-issue Canadian pressing

FowlPlay892.jpg

A&M 892 Fowl Play b/w Sounds of Silence single

Fiddler913a.jpg

A&M 913 Fiddler On The Roof, b-side of Sunday Mornin'

Session notes:

6/5/67 Sunset Sound - Wall Street Rag - Julius Wechter - marimba, Curry Tjader - marimba, Frank DeCaro - guitar, Frank DeVito - drums, Bernie Fleischer - flute & piccolo, Lee Katzman - trumpet, Lew McCreary - trombone, Oliver Mitchell - trumpet, Bill Pitman - guitar, Mel Pollan - bass, Don Randi - piano, Tommy Tedesco - guitar, Dave Wells - trombone. (Attached here for lack of a better place.)

6/7/67 Sunset Sound - Yellow Days, Along Comes Mary, Wall Street Rag - Julius Wechter - marimba, Curry Tjader - marimba, Frank DeCaro - guitar, Frank DeVito - drums, Bernie Fleischer - flute & piccolo, Lee Katzman - trumpet, Lew McCreary - trombone, Oliver Mitchell - trumpet, Bill Pitman - guitar, Mel Pollan - bass, Don Randi - piano, Tommy Tedesco - guitar, Dave Wells - trombone.

9/12/67 - Sunset Sound - Original, Windy, Sounds Of Silence - Julius Wechter - marimba, Curry Tjader - marimba, Frank DeCaro - guitar, Frank DeVito - drums, Bob Edmondson - trombone, Bernie Fleischer - flute & piccolo, Pete Jolly - piano, Lee Katzman - trumpet, Oliver Mitchell - trumpet, Lou Morrell - ?, Charlie Chiarenza - guitar, Mel Pollan - bass, Dave Wells - trombone.

10/16/67 - Western Recorders - Yellow Days, She's Leaving Home, Summer Samba, Sounds Of Silence - Charlie Chiarenza - guitar, Joseph DeFione - viola, Harry Hyams - viola, Leonard Malarsky - violin, Sidney Sharp - violin.

More notes: This is the first album credited to "Julius Wechter & The Baja Marimba Band," although the stereo jukebox version cover, shown above, just says "Baja Marimba Band" on the cover, although the disk is printed correctly. Reportedly there are full album covers that also omit Julius' name on the front cover, however, I have never seen one. The Ampex open reel tape (AMX 136) does have the proper credit on it's front cover.

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
Steve Sidoruk said:
Reportedly there are full album covers that also omit Julius' name on the front cover, however, I have never seen one.

I have a couple copies of each, my scans (from our own AOTW image file)are here:
sp4136.jpg
sp4136a.jpg

No matter which cover you have the LP contains great music!

In the recording date credits I assume the tune listed as "Original" is either Wechter's "Baja Humbug" or Wells's "Rhode Island Red."

--Mr Bill

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I voted for the title track, "Fowl Play". It's one of those signature BMB tunes!

Harry

JOv2

The BMB starts to hit its high-peak stride with this LP -- while simultaneously overtaking the TjB as the most rewarding non-rock outfit at the label...something they will carry out though to Fresh Air. Their version of She's Leaving Home is the finest I've heard. (It's sincerely touching -- the spartan vocal chorus is romantically bittersweet without being maudlin.)

The jacket is my all-time fave A&M front cover. Can only imagine how the photo session shoot went -- looks like near anarchy. I particularly like the Ladies Rooms sign and the dead chicken being dropped beside what would have to pass as the ugliest basketball goal imaginable. The imagination that went into the cover is inspiring. Cover art like this is far too good to ever win commercial awards (e.g., Grammys, et al) -- it's just too far outside the box.

Great stuff.

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
JO said:
The jacket is my all-time fave A&M front cover. Can only imagine how the photo session shoot went -- looks like near anarchy.

BMB Covers are almost always among the funniest on A&M. Of course, Julius and the boys would return for more barnyard fun on the Fresh Air cover -- another tour-de-force image!

--Mr. Bill

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
Looking at the recording dates/credits one can see the void left by Bud Coleman's passing. Bill Pitman and Tommy Tedesco filled in admirably and Charlie Chiarfenza was added for the final recording dates.

But looking at the pic sleeve cover for the "Along Comes Mary" single I have to wonder who the fellow all the way to the right in the back row is. Clearly it's neither Coleman or Chiarenza... Pitman or Tedesco, perhaps?

--Mr. Bill

rickster

Yeah, and there always seemed to someone relieving themselves in these covers -- like the guy in the upper right corner . This is a very good release, and it contains one of the BEST covers of any tune I have ever heard, I would even dare say better than the original, Along Comes Mary. Around 2 minutes of pure bliss. WHY was this not a big hit single for Julius? I remember around that time it got a lot of airplay on adult MOR stations (like WNEW-AM in New York) , but never crossed over. What a shame. GREAT production on this track, and listen closely for someone in the band's "yeah" after Julius' last killer unaccompanied break.

mexicat

I love this album! "Along Comes Mary" is my pick, but I could easily have chosen any of the others...

Baja Marimbas forever!

bob knack

Along Comes Mary, all the way!

The cover might be described as The Marx Brothers meet Mariachi.

I have it framed and hanging in my den.

audiofile

This is the SRO of the BMB. A great album from start to finish. This was the BMB's peak. I agree Along Comes Mary is the best Baja song ever recorded. I always wondered why it wasn't a hit also. everything about this album is great. I picked Along Comes Mary obviously, but other favorites are Summer Samba, Sounds Of Silence, Look of Love, and Rhode Island Red.

This got me thinking. Rhode Island Red is credited to Dave Wells. Practically every BMB album has one song credited to one of the members. The Odd One: Mel Pollan, In A Vera Cruz Vein: Curry Tjader, Madagascar: Bernie Fleischer, and finally Big Red credited to Frank DeVito. Not that a drummer can't write a tune, but it just gave me that idea that maybe Julius had to give credit to these tunes which Julius wrote because of some contractual agreement? Just a thought..

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Playing FOWL PLAY recently gave me new appreciation for the arrangement on "Windy." This was one of the tracks that was sort-of unwelcome on the early Japanese compilation DIGITALLY REMASTERED BEST. That compilation got so-so reviews from many of us here for including too many covers and not enough of the BMB's originals. "Windy" of course was one of those covers.

But listening to the track the other day brought me new appreciation for the arrangement, particularly the ascending trombone lines in the bridge. Those just knock me out. Though FOWL PLAY was never released digitally or on CD, if you look around you can find the song on all three of the compilations that were released, DIGITALLY REMASTERED BEST, the "American version" of that called THE BEST OF THE BAJA MARIMBA BAND, and the Timeless Music 3-CD comp 36 ALL-TIME FAVORITES.

A mono version can be found at the 7:00 mark in this Side One video:

According to Steve's notes above, on the day that "Windy" was recorded at Sunset Sound (9/12/67), both Bob Edmondson and Dave Wells were credited on trombone.

Harry

My vote went to Rhode Island, but I agree with the consensus that Along Comes Mary was probably the best cover done by BMB. Absolute powerhouse.

Bobberman

This got me thinking. Rhode Island Red is credited to Dave Wells. Practically every BMB album has one song credited to one of the members. The Odd One: Mel Pollan, In A Vera Cruz Vein: Curry Tjader, Madagascar: Bernie Fleischer, and finally Big Red credited to Frank DeVito. Not that a drummer can't write a tune, but it just gave me that idea that maybe Julius had to give credit to these tunes which Julius wrote because of some contractual agreement? Just a thought..
"The Odd One". was actually Credited to Bud Coleman. I voted for Baja Humbug as I first heard it featured on the "Family Portrait" Compilation LP also The song "Domingo" on "Heads up" Was credited to Mel Pollan.

Top Bottom