• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Baja Marimba Band

Which is your favorite BMB album!

• Baja Marimba Band

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • The Baja Marimba Band Rides Again

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • For Animals Only

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Watch Out!

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Heads Up!

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Fowl Play

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Do You Know The Way To San Jose?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Those Were the Days

• Fresh Air

• Greatest Hits

• As Time Goes By

• Foursider

• The Baja Marimba Band's Back!

• Naturally

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

audiofile

I thought I'd post this question to see what albums are you're favorite. I added compilations because I believe they count as albums.

My memory isn't what it used to be, but I know we haven't done a poll like this in the recent past. Thanks! :wave:

My favorite? I don't have any one that just leaps out and grabs me. I grew up with "Watch Out" and "Heads Up" being my two favorites, and "Greatest Hits" was the first one I owned myself. "San Jose" was also a favorite of mine back then. This is a case where I tend to have favorite tracks from each recording, more than overall favorite albums.

With that in mind, I picked "As Time Goes By". Mainly because it wasn't exactly a Baja Marimba album. Like Alpert at the time, Julius Wechter was stretching out on this album, getting into more of a jazz mode than his earlier albums. I'd like to know some of the musicians on this album--unfortunately, nothing is credited.

I picked FRESH AIR. I always liked that one, and it was great to get it on an official CD this past year!

Harry

I have a hard time deciding between three: THOSE WERE THE DAYS, RIDES AGAIN and FRESH AIR.

Each of them contains at least one of my favorite Baja songs, so I'm reluctant to pick just one. I suppose I have more "faves" on FRESH AIR than the other two though...

I've always wanted to make a 2-CD set for a Baja compilation. Disc 1 would be all Baja originals: songs penned by Julius and the band. The other would be strictly favorite cover versions.

I gotta go with WATCH OUT; it was the first BMB album I ever owned, a birthday present at age 12 from my father. I was heavily into the TJB, and this album broadened my horizons to the A&M family...

My second fave would have to be FOR ANIMALS ONLY...if only for the haunting SWAN WALTZ, one of the groups' best...and I THINK that's John Pisano on the 12 string during the bridge...

WATCH OUT is also special to me because it was my first introduction to Julius Wechter and his work on behalf of Tourette's Syndrome and Attention Deficit Disorder. He's been one of my greatest heroes because of that.

Dan

I chose Fowl Play, mainly for sentimental reasons, (it was my first BMB record) but it's also a fabulous album! I'm surprised Those Were the Days, didn't get any votes. It's my second favorite album.

It's hard to make a choice here because there are great moments on all of their albums. If pressed, I'd have to go for "Fresh Air". I love the Julius Wechter vocal on "I Don't Want To Walk Without You" and I think songs like "Madagascar" and "Fresh Air" were more intricate than some of their other originals. It was also nice to see some other members writing songs and having them represented on their albums. Frank DeVito's "Big Red" from THOSE WERE THE DAYS is a great track as well. And, of course, Julius just kept writing first-class material all throughout...

If I could put them in order from my favorite to least favorite, it'd be:

1. Fowl Play
2. Those Were The Days
3. Do You Know The Way To San Jose
4. Fresh Air
5. As Time Goes By
6. Heads Up
7. The Baja Marimba Band's Back
8. Naturally
9. For Animals Only
10. Watch Out
11. The Baja Marimba Band's Back
12. Baja Marimba Band

Although I enjoy listening to Baja's early albums, I really love the later albums where the members of the band were featured more. Also, as time went on, for the most part, the marimba stepped into the background leaving the other instruments more room.

audiofile said:
Although I enjoy listening to Baja's early albums, I really love the later albums where the members of the band were featured more. Also, as time went on, for the most part, the marimba stepped into the background leaving the other instruments more room.

I'd have to listen again, but it seems like he used the vibraphone more on "As Time Goes By" than he had on any other previous BMB album.

Fowl Play: The greatest album cover in history. The other day I framed it and put it up in my bar room. Not a bad song on it either, really.

I have always felt that the BMB were at their peak with "Heads Up" and "Fowl Play". Or consider it this way: I get the same feeling when I hear "Heads Up" that I do "Going Places"--it's like the band had finally settled in and "gelled", and that same sound would carry through almost until the end.

I'm sorry to say I'm not a big fan of Watch Out at the present time. It's more of a transitional recording. Some of the steady group members were just joining, (I think) and the sound of the group wasn't really determined yet. However, there are a few of my favorite tracks on that album. Portuguese Washerwoman, The More I See You, Yours, Cast Your Fate To The Wind, Gay Ranchero, and Telephone Song. I really like how the marimba was recorded on this cut. It seems to be most people's favorite album, but I just listen to it casually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom