• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Canta the song in it's entirety (not the From the Top version)

Harry I saw you mentioned Canta on another thread yesterday and realized I forgot to follow up on this thread. There are a few Holy Grails I shall unlikely ever land. Canta the 45 is one of them. I essentially gave up that quest and I bought this album, overpriced, however it’s a gem!

I was waiting to review it until I had a chance to play it and wow, it plays beautifully. I am thrilled to have it. It is in stereo. The whole album is really nice.

I was surprised at how much lighter in weight this Latin import is (from Columbia). It is nowhere near the standard 120 grams that I am used to on my 70’s LPs. I’m guessing it’s in-between 100-80 grams? This is merely a minute detail though because no matter the weight, I love it. Thanks so much for the heads up that you sent out to us 🙏

For anyone seriously looking for a vinyl copy of "Canta", this album from Colombia on eBay has it.

1710363757086.png

They want $99.95, but it's located in the US. (Ft. Lauderdale).
eBay still has the link up with a sample, if you listen at the 58 sec mark that is a new line in Spanish I’ve never heard Karen sing before.

I could be way off base and it’s only a thought but an easy way to recoup that $99 you spent on this album is to allow fans to PayPal you $5.00 or any higher amount they wish for an mp3 of this all Spanish Canta Carpenters track. They pay you and you provide a link only good for that person. I’m sure there are 20 people or less that would pay for hear this. I mean it’s worth $5.00 and more as it’s a rare basically unheard of track with a full Spanish lyric by Karen.

Just a thought.

Is it not the same as the single I posted (post #6 of this thread)? But stereo intead of mono?

Last edited:
Is it not the same as the single I posted (post #6 of this thread)? But stereo intead of mono?
Word for word it is exactly the same. Last night I compared both side by side. The Lo Major Del 73 is a bit sped up from post #6. The album is in stereo . When I listen to Canta however, through my monitor phones, the left channel is predominant and there is no bass in the right channel. It is not stereo as I know it. It is definitely not a stereo quality that Richard would have released. But Karen is loud and clear and up in front.

I could be way off base and it’s only a thought but an easy way to recoup that $99 you spent on this album is to allow fans to PayPal you $5.00 or any higher amount they wish for an mp3 of this all Spanish Canta Carpenters track. They pay you and you provide a link only good for that person. I’m sure there are 20 people or less that would pay for hear this. I mean it’s worth $5.00 and more as it’s a rare basically unheard of track with a full Spanish lyric by Karen.

Just a thought.
I would be happy to ship it to someone that can put it on an mp3 for everyone. I could never charge a fee, though. There are a couple of others on Discogs. One is $50 to US no shipping. It says VG+ but of course you never know. Two others have international shipping and it gets closer to what I spent.

Last year, an EBAY seller from South America had a batch of "international" Carpenters 45s and EPs for sale. They included records manufactured in Europe, South America, and Japan. Luckily, this 45 was included in the batch of over 35 records. It was the only record in the batch that was manufactured in North America.

Last edited:
I was just comparing side by side, Billy’s version above to Harry’s posted on the 1st page of this thread.
I noticed right away that Harry’s was running slightly slower speed.
I cued them up at the exact same time and they match up to about 30 seconds in and then Billy’s starts running ever so slightly ahead of Harry’s.

I also noticed that Harry’s runs at 3:24 time and Billy’s is 3:14
So are these timed differently or is it just my ears?
Maybe it’s also different turntables captures these recordings.

I did notice some vibration noise on Billy’s 45 at about 2:17 when the children sing “sing a song” that I don’t hear on Harry’s.
Gotta love 45’s lol hit or miss what your’e gonna get, especially these old recordings on vinyl.

So does Richard’s vocals appear on this full spanish Canta single or the Canta/Sing version on FTT? I can’t hear him at all.
I know he’s on the regular Sing track.

Richard Is there.

Turntables run at different speeds. I'm reasonably certain that my direct drive Technics was running at fractionally close to the accurate 45 RPM.

It could be due to voltage differences between them. North America. Europe, and even Japan. I worked in a travelware/luggage store for 14 years before we closed in 2020 due to the pandemic. We sold thousands of adapter plugs for the countries of the world, and power converters, which were always a source of contention, and problems. Europe uses 220-240 volt for most electronics, we in the states use 110-120. Half of what they use. That might explain why Billy’s version plays a little faster. Japan uses 100v, and a turntable would play slightly slower there. They specifically used a turntable as the example of what the power consumption might do when using one, in the power converter brochures we handed out. Same with a hair dryer. Faster in Europe, and slower here. We sold dual voltage accessories as well. The biggest problem was with hair straightening wands. So many fires, and blown circuits over the years. The stories were sometimes fascinating to say the least.

It could be due to voltage differences between them. North America. Europe, and even Japan. I worked in a travelware/luggage store for 14 years before we closed in 2020 due to the pandemic. We sold thousands of adapter plugs for the countries of the world, and power converters, which were always a source of contention, and problems. Europe uses 220-240 volt for most electronics, we in the states use 110-120. Half of what they use. That might explain why Billy’s version plays a little faster. Japan uses 100v, and a turntable would play slightly slower there. They specifically used a turntable as the example of what the power consumption might do when using one, in the power converter brochures we handed out. Same with a hair dryer. Faster in Europe, and slower here. We sold dual voltage accessories as well. The biggest problem was with hair straightening wands. So many fires, and blown circuits over the years. The stories were sometimes fascinating to say the least.
I think this is what happen to Ave Maria on From The Top the large box set as it’s sped up so fast Karen sound like the lead sister from the Chipmunks. :laugh: It must have been a voltage thing:razz:

Back
Top Bottom