• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters 55th Anniversary Celebration - April 2024 in Downey

So sorry I could not stay for Sat eve but grateful to view these closing festivities from my home. I love our collective and cherished Carpenters memories and beloved duo of course.. and value the warmth of a loyal and very special Carpenters community ( well beyond the label of "fans".) Makes my heart smile. Blessings to Richard and Chris who have the gift of orchestrating music and making forever memories. 🙏

It was a great evening. And, I'm sorry for those who would have liked to have a "heads-up" about Richard. I spoke to him about this nearly a year ahead of time, but felt it was extremely important to the event—especially given the city of Downey element and the presentations that followed our discussion—that we keep it under wraps until he walked out on stage. Made the whole thing that much more impactful.

I hope Richard considers doing a few dates in the US after he does his tour of the boonies of the UK. If anything, this gathering proves that the desire is there and if fans knew RC was going to be there, many more would have come.

For those interested in hearing my conversation with Richard last Saturday evening in Downey, here’s the link:

Fun interview. Richard has slowed down greatly due to age so I'm glad Chris just let him go rather than try to rush him along. Even Richard realizes that Karen should have done all the leads. I couldn't agree more. He had no business singing when he had the greatest female singer in Pop history (this basically passes as fact at this point) at his disposal. He seems well aware of this at this point and that's refreshing.

Ed

Richard was darn funny I must say! :)

I thought so too, Mark :) I was quite moved by the entire video.

One of the great stories I’ve always wondered about was the Steel Guitar lick intro on Top of the World - Red Rhodes vs Buddy Emmons. Richard Filled the holes in perfectly in the video and I just love the way he tells that story. I remember reading an interview with Buddy Emmons from 2006 on this and even Buddy wasn't sure why Richard had Red Rhodes do the lick in the intro ♥️ One more example of Richard being brilliant.

Buddy Emmons:

It’s hard to speculate as to what may have been behind Richard’s structuring of the arrangement; but judging from my experience with him I can only assume he wanted more signature licks and movement in the fills. Richard went as far as to sit at the piano and play notes for me to listen to that reflected the style he was looking for.

Replacing someone else’s track or being bumped off of a track is not a big deal to me. I’ve been replaced more than once and my solution was to simply pick up pieces of my life and move on. Meanwhile, I suspect that Richard Carpenter was doing his job as a producer by starting with a pedal steel sound in his head and doing what it took to get it on tape.

One of the great stories I’ve always wondered about was the Steel Guitar lick intro on Top of the World - Red Rhodes vs Buddy Emmons. Richard Filled the holes in perfectly in the video and I just love the way he tells that story. I remember reading an interview with Buddy Emmons from 2006 on this and even Buddy didn’t know why Richard had Red Rhodes do the lick in the intro ♥️ One more example of Richard being brilliant.
I wonder which one did the very different ending on the mono single version. Listen to those last two notes and compare them to the single or album version.

I have to say, the hour-long discussion with Richard was excellently moderated by Chris May. Richard has obviously slowed up a lot in recent years but Chris allowed him the time to think through his responses and guided the discussion through some great questions. It would have been great to hear it go on a bit longer as it seemed to end after the 'Horizon' album discussion. I would have loved to hear stories about 'Passage', 'Made In America' (and beyond).

Excellent job @Chris May ! :)

I haven't been on this forum in about 5 or 6 months, but I wanted to pop back on just to say this.

Yeah, Chris you were so good with him and asked interesting, and curious questions. I appreciated that. It seemed a bit slow to start, but it got going quite nicely and it was all handled very nicely.

It's always nice to see someone pick at Richard's brain, hear him share wisdom and wonderful stories. This is something that feels very much 'for the fans' because you kind of have to fill in the blanks along with him. or get into this area of "I know what you mean or get what you're trying to say."
And such is life I suppose.

I thought personally there were a few moments he might've sounded a bit harsh on assessing some of his own work or even of other artists or labels (I am not going to get too specific about that). I know his heart and he wouldn't mean anything by it. I found for myself it was an adjustment, and that's all that was.
I was able to move passed it, and enjoy the rest of the conversation.

There's certainly more there for Rich on the horizon, and I hope there's a chance for another podcast or something with Rich.

Perry Como did his last album at age 75 and I think still did live performances up until he was 82! I feel that Richard's still got good years in there for music or sit down to share some more stories. I'd love to hear it, as a fan, and hope he knows that fans are always happy to hear how he's doing.

I do agree I'd have loved to hear him recalling MIA or even some of the posthumous stuff. Some of those details may just become lost in time.
Can't complain too much about missing pieces any more though. Carpenters fans have been lucky to have their legacy preserved so nicely through written and oral tellings of their story.

To this day though I still have questions about Richard's producing in the 1980's. I'd like to hear more about working with Akiko Kobayashi or Veronique.
Even him working with Dionne Warwick and Dusty Springfield. I know that it may come with bitter-sweetness about the fact that it wasn't like working with KC. But, man there were some good songs, arrangements and productions he did in the 80's that were really good too.
We don't get to hear much about that stuff besides what's in the liner notes or on a page in a book.

Anyways, overall again it was nice to see and get to feel the enthusiasm that's still there for Carpenters.
It can't be said enough Chris May you've been really good to him over the years and it's quite touching to see that.
I find legacy artists aren't always getting their dues these days and so there's something about it I almost felt teary eyed. Not gonna lie.
That's what lead me to say a little something for today.

Just seeing the caring nature of all those involved was very nice. So thank you, and if you get the chance I look forward to seeing what may be coming next for Carpenters. Never say never, right? ahah This was fantastic. :)

I have to say, the hour-long discussion with Richard was excellently moderated by Chris May. Richard has obviously slowed up a lot in recent years but Chris allowed him the time to think through his responses and guided the discussion through some great questions. It would have been great to hear it go on a bit longer as it seemed to end after the 'Horizon' album discussion. I would have loved to hear stories about 'Passage', 'Made In America' (and beyond).
100% agree....every time Chris would go....Richard I don’t think I’ve ever asked you this before (2 different time I think)....each time I said to myself YES!! Cheering!! I’m going to hear Richard respond to something new. :laugh:

It was a great evening. And, I'm sorry for those who would have liked to have a "heads-up" about Richard. I spoke to him about this nearly a year ahead of time, but felt it was extremely important to the event—especially given the city of Downey element and the presentations that followed our discussion—that we keep it under wraps until he walked out on stage. Made the whole thing that much more impactful.
Glad you got Richard to attend this celebration! What a pleasant surprise. :)

I enjoy a good Richard song every now and then. "Saturday", anybody?
In comparison with...anything by Karen? The difference in vocal ability and charisma is like the brightest day and the darkest night. Karen was a master vocalist; Richard was an okay singer in a choir. He seemingly knows this. I think the tune itself is pretty corny IMHO and Richard's vocal just doesn't belong on an album with the greatest female pop singer the world will ever know. It's like Whitney Houston singing on an album and then deciding to have her neighbor come in and sing a song. The very idea alone of Richard singing a lead with Karen on the same album is, quite frankly, ludicrous; that we actually got that mystifies me.

I will never/I] take away Richard's abilities as a background singer. That is its own skill and Richard possesses that skill in spades. I'll never dispute that. I only dispute his abilities as a lead vocalist which, IMHO, are non-existent.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom