• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Carpenters 55th Anniversary Celebration - April 2024 in Downey

Richard had told the story that when they formed the "group"/"duo", they thought they'd be hip and just use the single word "Carpenters". He used "Bread" as another example of this kind of naming. No-one ever called David Gates' group as "The Bread".

But because of Carpenter being their proper name, most DJs, journalists never really got comfortable with the one-word name.

Richard further explained that after a short time, they quit trying to force the issue and simply accepted "The Carpenters", particularly in speech, announcements, etc.

Their recorded works nearly always were printed Carpenters, but a few wayward print jobs added "The".

I don’t think we listed any group under “The” except The The. It would have gone under Carpenters, or Beatles, or Beach Boys. No “The” included on the bin cards.

Wow so cool to see the memorabilia room at the warehouse of which I had never seen before. Very cool exclusive viewing.

No offensive to those in the room but I hate to see fans interrupt and talk over Richard and while he was playing piano toward the end people were talking in the background. Just a little disrespectful and heartbreaking to hear. I would be in awe and so quite just to take it all in.

Anyone else notice that large gold logo on the wall of the memorabilia room is the one they used in concert in the early 1970s? Here it is in the TV movie:

IMG_6598.jpegIMG_6599.jpeg
I thought that too when I saw it or I thought it was from concert and he kept it. How cool is that? Did the people that went to the 50th celebration get to tour the warehouse and see this room?

I thought that too when I saw it or I thought it was from concert and he kept it. How cool is that? Did the people that went to the 50th celebration get to tour the warehouse and see this room?

Looks like Sally and Ned Olsen did yes. We finally get to see the room Chris May talked about but said he didn't want to post photos of 😁

I wonder if whoever took this video got permission from Richard that it was ok to post publicly? Just wondering since I’ve never seen this room.

I still can’t get over that here you have the person who’ve been waiting to see all your life AND he’s playing the piano in front of you and your talking in the background, how is that possible?

Amazing that mediocre cover band members get access to see this. I would have guessed Richard wouldn't be so excited to welcome such groups to his place. Waddyah gotta do? This makes it seem like just anyone can get in.
Erin Gatlin, who is a devoted fan and helped set up the 2017 meet and greet, set this one up as well. Wasn’t so much about a “tribute group” coming by, but devoted fans.

Chris what did the plaque marker say for the drumsticks? Richard literally got down on his knees and looked like he was trying to get it off the wall. :laugh: Then the video cut.

Just thinking....after attending the reunion and reading posts, I am grateful. Grateful for Carpenters when I first started listening in 1970 and and over the years for musical brilliance. Grateful that their legacy is my history as well. Grateful that I have learned from Carpenters valuable lessons: attention to detail, determination, and passion. I will continue to support their beautiful musical legacy whether I ever get to see the behind the scenes stuff or not. I am grateful and blessed!

I'd have sold a kidney to have had the chance of visiting the warehouse with Richard there... Especially if I got to see his collection of classic cars. I'm no expert, but I find them fascinating and beautiful to look at!

Amazing that mediocre cover band members get access to see this. I would have guessed Richard wouldn't be so excited to welcome such groups to his place. Waddyah gotta do? This makes it seem like just anyone can get in.
This is where I’m reminded that singers like Tori, Harriet or Rumer yes they may at times sound like Karen Carpenter. However these artists are not trying to replace Karen or be her on stage. They are their own artist creating their own music. Maybe they are covers but it’s their own expression in hopes of touching others.

Of course my own opinion but this cover group is literally breathing and living making their income being Richard and Karen of the Carpenters. Again my own opinion but this the last group I would have thought would have an exclusive to the warehouse and memorabilia room with video.

I assumed everyone who went to the 55th had a chance of touring the warehouse. I mean we/they are all fans right? I’m sure there are those who attended the 55th would have like Billy said sold a kidney to have got a chance to go. That’s all I say on this.

[snip]

Of course my own opinion but this cover group is literally breathing and living making their income being Richard and Karen of the Carpenters. Again my own opinion but this the last group I would have thought would have an exclusive to the warehouse and memorabilia room with video. [/snip]
Hmmm...not sure I see this point. I don't have anyone literally earning a living mirroring my creative works. I think I'd be flattered and wish them the best.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" is the phrase, I believe. In another life known as the 1990's I worked as an artist and writer for major comic book companies and was never a "big" name. If there were artists emulating my style today, I know I'd be flattered.

This is where I’m reminded that singers like Tori, Harriet or Rumer yes they may at times sound like Karen Carpenter. However these artists are not trying to replace Karen or be her on stage. They are their own artist creating their own music. Maybe they are covers but it’s their own expression in hopes of touching others.

Of course my own opinion but this cover group is literally breathing and living making their income being Richard and Karen of the Carpenters. Again my own opinion but this the last group I would have thought would have an exclusive to the warehouse and memorabilia room with video.

I assumed everyone who went to the 55th had a chance of touring the warehouse. I mean we/they are all fans right? I’m sure there are those who attended the 55th would have like Billy said sold a kidney to have got a chance to go. That’s all I say on this.
This was simply a matter of Erin reaching out to Richard and Mary’s assistant and asking if she and a few friends could stop by the warehouse. She’s friends with Sally and Ned. I think you’re reading into it a bit. 😀

Back
Top Bottom