Carpenters music videos: Why did some songs get that spotlight while others didn't?

Without A Song

Whenever I see Carpenters music videos, and by that I mean promotional films specifically made of them performing songs, such as the one for "Only Yesterday," not ones crafted from TV show appearances, i.e. "Top of the World," I wonder who made the decision to give some of their songs that treatment, while others, including some of their top-selling singles, didn't get a video companion? What was the reason or reasons for why a promotional film was made for "Hurting Each Other" but not for "Yesterday Once More" to cite just one example of a Carpenters song with a visual component vs. one without.

What was the reason or reasons for why a promotional film was made for "Hurting Each Other" but not for "Yesterday Once More" to cite just one example of a Carpenters song with a visual component vs. one without.

I’d say a combination of lack of budget on the label’s part and touring commitments on Richard and Karen’s part. Most of what we do have is down to TV appearances from the time, which have been pulled from those sources and become quasi-official videos for video/DVD compilations over the years.

Other examples of singles where no promo film was specifically commissioned (and there are a lot more that you might realise!):

Ticket To Ride (1969 TV Appearance)
We’ve Only Just Begun (1970 TV Appearance)
Merry Christmas Darling (1978 TV Special)
For All We Know (1971 TV Appearance)
It’s Going To Take Some Time (none)
Goodbye To Love (none - other than that weird spinning ying-yang clip which exists)
Sing (none)
Yesterday Once More (none)
Top Of The World (1976 TV Special)
I Won’t Last A Day Without You (none)
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (1974 TV Appearance)
Solitaire (none)
Goofus (1978 TV Special - but never used as a promo)
Sweet, Sweet Smile (1978 TV Special - but never used as a promo)
I Believe You (none)
(Want You) Back In My Life Again (1981 TV Appearance - unreleased)

Very impressive job of listing all these songs and in chronological order! Thankful that, as you note, most of them still have a video partner due to the Carpenters' numerous appearances on TV shows and specials.

I’d say a combination of lack of budget on the label’s part and touring commitments on Richard and Karen’s part. Most of what we do have is down to TV appearances from the time, which have been pulled from those sources and become quasi-official videos for video/DVD compilations over the years.

Other examples of singles where no promo film was specifically commissioned (and there are a lot more that you might realise!):

Ticket To Ride (1969 TV Appearance)
We’ve Only Just Begun (1970 TV Appearance)
Merry Christmas Darling (1978 TV Special)
For All We Know (1971 TV Appearance)
It’s Going To Take Some Time (none)
Goodbye To Love (none - other than that weird spinning ying-yang clip which exists)
Sing (none)
Yesterday Once More (none)
Top Of The World (1976 TV Special)
I Won’t Last A Day Without You (none)
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (1974 TV Appearance)
Solitaire (none)
Goofus (1978 TV Special - but never used as a promo)
Sweet, Sweet Smile (1978 TV Special - but never used as a promo)
I Believe You (none)
(Want You) Back In My Life Again (1981 TV Appearance - unreleased)
It’s weird - some of those songs seem like they should have been no-brainers for making videos out of for promotional purposes. Like “For All We Know,” which to my understanding was one of their biggest hits. Which again begs the question why K&R/A&M chose to promote some hits but pass up others. Interesting thought, Without a Song.

Well one reason is likely the fact that Carpenters were in their heyday before videos for song had become a popular promotional item. Remember that MTV and VH1 didn't come along until the 80s, so before that, the purpose of a promotional film or tape had to be thought out. What would it be used for? Where would it be seen?

The Beatles started making promotional films so they could be seen on ED SULLIVAN and other TV shows without them touring around and visiting various studios live. I'm not sure that the Carpenters had that kind of clout where they could just phone in a video instead of a live appearance. Most TV shows would want a live appearance rather than a canned video at that time.

It was uncommon, but some music videos were shown in theaters before a feature or perhaps between a double feature.

Remember that MTV and VH1 didn't come along until the 80s, so before that, the purpose of a promotional film or tape had to be thought out. What would it be used for? Where would it be seen?

The Beatles started making promotional films so they could be seen on ED SULLIVAN and other TV shows without them touring around and visiting various studios live.

The most well-known early promo videos belong to Queen for ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ and then around the same time, ABBA also started making promos, in their case for the very reason you mention Harry - it meant they didn’t have to fly to Australia (where their popularity exploded in 1975 and continued right through to 1977) every time they released a new single.

In the Carpenters’ case, I find it baffling that they skipped so many opportunities to create promos during their heyday and then A&M suddenly found the budget to create more promos during their downward slide between 1976-1981, than in their entire career up to that point.

Official single promos by album:

1969-1975 - 6 Promos

Tickets To Ride - 0
Close To You - 1
Carpenters - 2
A Song For You - 1
Now And Then - 0
Horizon - 2

1976-1981 - 7 Promos

A Kind Of Hush - 2
Passage - 2
Made In America - 3

Last edited:
Think both @newvillefan & @Harry have hit on the main reasons: lack of budget (even if promo videos had been a thing in the early part of their career); far too much time & energy spent touring (a major source of trouble in several very important ways); and the hard, cold fact that promo videos didn't become popular or widespread until the early 80s...

As far as I'm concerned the worst non-promo Carpenter videos are the ones pieced or edited together by well-meaning but amateurish fans who use video footage from one or more songs while playing the soundtrack from another. And the best are those that play a sideshow of tasteful photos of the pair while the song is playing.

The most unique is the animated video showing the characters and scenes described in the TICKET TO RIDE soundtrack from the RPO album.

it was my understanding that the early videos were recorded so that there would be a visual representation of carpenters work in countries were carpenters were unable to tour while the singles were " hot ". i suppose the same could be said for the MADE IN AMERICA videos; carpenters did an extensive PR tour, but most performances were either lip sync or live to a recorded backing track.

Well one reason is likely the fact that Carpenters were in their heyday before videos for song had become a popular promotional item. Remember that MTV and VH1 didn't come along until the 80s, so before that, the purpose of a promotional film or tape had to be thought out. What would it be used for? Where would it be seen?

The Beatles started making promotional films so they could be seen on ED SULLIVAN and other TV shows without them touring around and visiting various studios live. I'm not sure that the Carpenters had that kind of clout where they could just phone in a video instead of a live appearance. Most TV shows would want a live appearance rather than a canned video at that time.

It was uncommon, but some music videos were shown in theaters before a feature or perhaps between a double feature.
first one I ever saw that way still sticks in my mind. It was "Good Morning Judge" by 10CC. Was fun...always wondered why there wasn't more of this then.

The most unique is the animated video showing the characters and scenes described in the TICKET TO RIDE soundtrack from the RPO album.
Not only had I not seen this animated video before you posted it the other day on the Offering thread, I am thrilled that it came from RPO. What a perfect match! Could it be possible for Richard to have some more of these made?

I love these animated music videos to begin with, even dating back to one of the first a couple of years before music television, Elvis Costello & The Attractions – Accidents Will Happen.

I’m crazy about this TTR video. I can see where there may be a market for more of these.

The most well-known early promo videos belong to Queen for ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ and then around the same time, ABBA also started making promos, in their case for the very reason you mention Harry - it meant they didn’t have to fly to Australia (where their popularity exploded in 1975 and continued right through to 1977) every time they released a new single.

In the Carpenters’ case, I find it baffling that they skipped so many opportunities to create promos during their heyday and then A&M suddenly found the budget to create more promos during their downward slide between 1976-1981, than in their entire career up to that point.

Official single promos by album:

1969-1975 - 6 Promos

Tickets To Ride - 0
Close To You - 1
Carpenters - 2
A Song For You - 1
Now And Then - 0
Horizon - 2

1976-1981 - 7 Promos

A Kind Of Hush - 2
Passage - 2
Made In America - 3
The first 'conceptual' videos I can think of are 'Penny Lane' and 'Strawberry Fields Forever' from February, 1967. The Beatles played a HUGE role in using the promo film (later 'music video') to reach as many people as possible. And it worked beautifully. Both Ed Sullivan and Dick Clark showed them in their entirety on their respective shows.

What about “Cs on a Plane” video for I Need to Be in Love. Why is it so hard to find? R hated it I know. But K was stunningly sassy and you know that other word that starts with “s” and ends in “y”…..

To tag onto Harry's reply above, probably the other biggest reason for a lack of Carpenters videos was... besides being "just not done all that much" back then, they just weren't needed either. The duo was selling like hotcakes without the need for a lot of video support. Plus they were doing TV appearances, so they didn't need additional screen time too much. Airplay was doing the job of promoting them -- that was the most important way of promotion back then before MTV came along and destroyed, I mean changed, the world.

We are so fortunate to have these visuals, all of them. Kudos to everyone that has a hand in preserving them. This video topic and the time period in particular 1977-1980 is sort of complex because of things going on both in the record industry and for K&R.

Of course we all know that Carpenters were a successful act in the first half of the 70s decade. I can get behind that during that time that music videos weren't truly promos. The manner in which records companies made their capital was an acceptable risk. It was a simple formula. Make a record, get it played on the radio for as much exposure as you could get, hope you get a hit and if you did, invest in 10 more acts.

Even early videos weren’t a thought as a vehicle for promoting records and it wasn't until towards the latter part of the decade when risk was viewed a little differently. The record industry as a whole peaked in 1977 and then began to see a gradual decline. The AKOH All You Get From Love is a Love Song, I Need to Be In Love, There's A Kind of Hush videos were made as true promos to boost sales.

In 1978 K&R had I believe one promo video out there from Passage, Occupants, which I thought was pretty cool. Then after Christmas Portrait they disappeared from the public eye in 1979 as a Duo. When they came in back in 1980, there were 3 MIA videos Beechwood, Those Good Old Dreams and Touch Me When We're Dancing. All 3 framed more of an adult contemporary vision.

I am a devoted fan of MIA (I am a devoted fan of everything they did). After they resurfaced with MIA and when those last 3 videos were made, I think we are all of the same thoughts that this would have been a great time for some outside guidance on those videos.

We are so fortunate to have these visuals, all of them. Kudos to everyone that has a hand in preserving them. This video topic and the time period in particular 1977-1980 is sort of complex because of things going on both in the record industry and for K&R.

Of course we all know that Carpenters were a successful act in the first half of the 70s decade. I can get behind that during that time that music videos weren't truly promos. The manner in which records companies made their capital was an acceptable risk. It was a simple formula. Make a record, get it played on the radio for as much exposure as you could get, hope you get a hit and if you did, invest in 10 more acts.

Even early videos weren’t a thought as a vehicle for promoting records and it wasn't until towards the latter part of the decade when risk was viewed a little differently. The record industry as a whole peaked in 1977 and then began to see a gradual decline. The AKOH All You Get From Love is a Love Song, I Need to Be In Love, There's A Kind of Hush videos were made as true promos to boost sales.

In 1978 K&R had I believe one promo video out there from Passage, Occupants, which I thought was pretty cool. Then after Christmas Portrait they disappeared from the public eye in 1979 as a Duo. When they came in back in 1980, there were 3 MIA videos Beechwood, Those Good Old Dreams and Touch Me When We're Dancing. All 3 framed more of an adult contemporary vision.

I am a devoted fan of MIA (I am a devoted fan of everything they did). After they resurfaced with MIA and when those last 3 videos were made, I think we are all of the same thoughts that this would have been a great time for some outside guidance on those videos.
Passage also had “Sweet Sweet Smile.” I see what you mean with how the MIA videos have a more AC framework. I guess K&R were trying to somehow convey to the public that the C’s were older and more mature now - still trying to somehow fix their image in the new decade. When you look at the videos from Passage, they still have more of that lightheartedness that the duo was known for in the early 70s.

I think it was said in a fan club newsletter, (or somewhere), that a video cassette of FOUR promotional clips had been sent to broadcasters and stores at the time of Made In America. I can visualise Those Good Old Dreams, Touch Me When We’re Dancing and Beechwood that were later commercially released on 1985’s ‘Yesterday Once More’ home video and have always wondered what the fourth could have been….. maybe the so-called ‘Yellow Brick Road’ clip of Those Good Old Dreams or, perhaps, a clip for Back In My Life Again ….. maybe only those close to the outfit know.

By the way, the producers of the 1985 ‘Yesterday Once More’ home video have said that there was next to no budget for that project.

We had a weekly pop music program in Australia called Countdown in the 1970s and 1980s that focused on presenting mainstream pop artists to the teen population. This TV show began in 1974 and continued until 1987. Most Australian and New Zealander artists appeared in person on the show, although many also made film clips, plus there was usually an international star appearing in person, most weeks. Many of the biggest pop music stars in the world of the time appeared.

The highly entertaining Ian ‘Molly’ Meldrum was at the helm of the show.

In 1975, ‘Molly’ suggested that ABBA’s ‘Mama Mia’ be released as a single, something that ABBA themselves and their record company apparently hadn’t considered. Via film clip, he promoted ABBA to the point that their ‘Best of ABBA’ album sold over a million copies in Australia around 1975 at a time when the population of the country was only around sixteen million people. This opened up likelihood of major success for ABBA in other parts of the world. This is what Newvillefan is referring to, above.

(Ring Ring had been a hit the year before and even ‘B’ sides hit the National Top 10).

Molly and Countdown must have felt a bit slighted when ABBA went with one of the commercial TV channels when they visited Australia and didn’t appear on Countdown at all.

Molly, from memory, is also credited with breaking such international acts as Blondie and John Cougar Mellencamp, who were attracting little attention internationally before Countdown championed them. (I think that Blondie had their first hit in the UK and Australia close to the same time).

Molly, I think, suggested to international acts, on occasions, that they make film clips for specific songs or that they release them as singles.

You name the star from the mid to late 1970s and they probably appeared on Countdown - if they were mainstream pop / light rock, that is. Soul artists began being shown more around 1977 with the advent of disco but many of these artists also had a mainstream pop presence. For example, Tina Turner appeared in person a few times. Artists such as Michael Jackson and Donna Summer appeared via video interview and their videos were played regularly. Eddie Grant, Billy Ocean, Amii Stewart…. I suppose artists with a range of styles and varying mixes of soul / mainstream pop appeared, either regularly by promotional video or in person.

Karen and Richard never appeared, (they apparently didn’t visit the country in those years, although I think I remember a rumour of a planned ‘Made in America’ promo trip, not mentioned on Countdown). Karen was famously and briefly discussed, not in a derogatory way, by Bette Midler on the program, though.

I do remember a lot of promo film clips for various artists beginning around 1975 and 1976. I agree with Harry and Newvillefan that film clips or promotional films weren’t really a ‘thing’ before these years.

Most artists appearing in person mimed to their original recording - they didn’t have to re-record parts of the track with an element of true ‘live’ as they did in the UK, (see Karen’s Bruce Forsyth appearance), but one artist who did sing live on Countdown was Judie Tzuke, when she performed ‘Stay With Me til Dawn’. (See YouTube).

Apart from this show, the earliest film clip I remember seeing on TV, pre-Countdown, was Creedence Clearwater Revival’s Looking Out My Back Door. I don’t know whether CCR filmed this specifically for the Australian market. I know that they appeared live on an Australian music show that pre-dated Countdown, same channel, called GTK.

Karen and Richard’s film clips appeared on GTK and a still earlier show, Hit Scene , but not on Countdown.

To tag onto Harry's reply above, probably the other biggest reason for a lack of Carpenters videos was... besides being "just not done all that much" back then, they just weren't needed either. The duo was selling like hotcakes without the need for a lot of video support. Plus they were doing TV appearances, so they didn't need additional screen time too much. Airplay was doing the job of promoting them -- that was the most important way of promotion back then before MTV came along and destroyed, I mean changed, the world.
The film clips were always appreciated in countries far away where overseas acts’ TV appearances couldn’t be seen, (pre internet), and where they might not tour unless they sold significant numbers of records first. Even a country with a small population like Australia in the 1970s, in very, very rare circumstances, could have a million-selling album, with the right promotion, (e.g. promo videos), as seen with ABBA.

A more likely sales figure for huge blockbuster-selling albums in this ‘small’ country was 400,000 but still worth the promotion.

Having said that, a more realistic expectation for a big-selling album back then was 100,000 - between a quarter and half a million dollars in sales in the early-mid 70s, still not to be coughed at, mainly for the record companies and retailers, who took the lion’s share of profits.

We had a weekly pop music program in Australia called Countdown in the 1970s and 1980s that focused on presenting mainstream pop artists to the teen population. This TV show began in 1974 and continued until 1987. Most Australian and New Zealander artists appeared in person on the show, although many also made film clips, plus there was usually an international star appearing in person, most weeks. Many of the biggest pop music stars in the world of the time appeared.

The highly entertaining Ian ‘Molly’ Meldrum was at the helm of the show.

In 1975, ‘Molly’ suggested that ABBA’s ‘Mama Mia’ be released as a single, something that ABBA themselves and their record company apparently hadn’t considered. Via film clip, he promoted ABBA to the point that their ‘Best of ABBA’ album sold over a million copies in Australia around 1975 at a time when the population of the country was only around sixteen million people. This opened up likelihood of major success for ABBA in other parts of the world. This is what Newvillefan is referring to, above.

(Ring Ring had been a hit the year before and even ‘B’ sides hit the National Top 10).

Molly and Countdown must have felt a bit slighted when ABBA went with one of the commercial TV channels when they visited Australia and didn’t appear on Countdown at all.

Molly, from memory, is also credited with breaking such international acts as Blondie and John Cougar Mellencamp, who were attracting little attention internationally before Countdown championed them. (I think that Blondie had their first hit in the UK and Australia close to the same time).

Molly, I think, suggested to international acts, on occasions, that they make film clips for specific songs or that they release them as singles.

You name the star from the mid to late 1970s and they probably appeared on Countdown - if they were mainstream pop / light rock, that is. Soul artists began being shown more around 1977 with the advent of disco but many of these artists also had a mainstream pop presence. For example, Tina Turner appeared in person a few times. Artists such as Michael Jackson and Donna Summer appeared via video interview and their videos were played regularly. Eddie Grant, Billy Ocean, Amii Stewart…. I suppose artists with a range of styles and varying mixes of soul / mainstream pop appeared, either regularly by promotional video or in person.

Karen and Richard never appeared, (they apparently didn’t visit the country in those years, although I think I remember a rumour of a planned ‘Made in America’ promo trip, not mentioned on Countdown). Karen was famously and briefly discussed, not in a derogatory way, by Bette Midler on the program, though.

I do remember a lot of promo film clips for various artists beginning around 1975 and 1976. I agree with Harry and Newvillefan that film clips or promotional films weren’t really a ‘thing’ before these years.

Most artists appearing in person mimed to their original recording - they didn’t have to re-record parts of the track with an element of true ‘live’ as they did in the UK, (see Karen’s Bruce Forsyth appearance), but one artist who did sing live on Countdown was Judie Tzuke, when she performed ‘Stay With Me til Dawn’. (See YouTube).

Apart from this show, the earliest film clip I remember seeing on TV, pre-Countdown, was Creedence Clearwater Revival’s Looking Out My Back Door. I don’t know whether CCR filmed this specifically for the Australian market. I know that they appeared live on an Australian music show that pre-dated Countdown, same channel, called GTK.

Karen and Richard’s film clips appeared on GTK and a still earlier show, Hit Scene , but not on Countdown.
Did calling occupants not appear on countdown?

Back
Top Bottom