Carpenters music videos: Why did some songs get that spotlight while others didn't?

We are so fortunate to have these visuals, all of them. Kudos to everyone that has a hand in preserving them. This video topic and the time period in particular 1977-1980 is sort of complex because of things going on both in the record industry and for K&R.

Of course we all know that Carpenters were a successful act in the first half of the 70s decade. I can get behind that during that time that music videos weren't truly promos. The manner in which records companies made their capital was an acceptable risk. It was a simple formula. Make a record, get it played on the radio for as much exposure as you could get, hope you get a hit and if you did, invest in 10 more acts.

Even early videos weren’t a thought as a vehicle for promoting records and it wasn't until towards the latter part of the decade when risk was viewed a little differently. The record industry as a whole peaked in 1977 and then began to see a gradual decline. The AKOH All You Get From Love is a Love Song, I Need to Be In Love, There's A Kind of Hush videos were made as true promos to boost sales.

In 1978 K&R had I believe one promo video out there from Passage, Occupants, which I thought was pretty cool. Then after Christmas Portrait they disappeared from the public eye in 1979 as a Duo. When they came in back in 1980, there were 3 MIA videos Beechwood, Those Good Old Dreams and Touch Me When We're Dancing. All 3 framed more of an adult contemporary vision.

I am a devoted fan of MIA (I am a devoted fan of everything they did). After they resurfaced with MIA and when those last 3 videos were made, I think we are all of the same thoughts that this would have been a great time for some outside guidance on those videos.
Regarding the there’s a kind of hush promo, does anyone know where and under what circumstances it was made? The set, band and Karen’s dress all look like the Osaka 1976 concert. Was it made during that tour in Japan?

Regarding the there’s a kind of hush promo, does anyone know where and under what circumstances it was made? The set, band and Karen’s dress all look like the Osaka 1976 concert. Was it made during that tour in Japan?
There is a Thread from years ago on the location of all the video promos. It is labeled Yesterday Once More (Video locations) from 2107. The location of the AKOH video was as you thought, shot in April of 1976 in Osaka, Japan, while the Carpenters were on a month-long tour of that country according to Newsletter #86 July 1986.

Yesterday Once More (Video Locations)

Last edited:
The first 'conceptual' videos I can think of are 'Penny Lane' and 'Strawberry Fields Forever' from February, 1967. The Beatles played a HUGE role in using the promo film (later 'music video') to reach as many people as possible. And it worked beautifully. Both Ed Sullivan and Dick Clark showed them in their entirety on their respective shows.
yes, they were really quite remarkable for the time. It was the first awareness many of us had of their beards and mustaches...it was pre-Sgt. Pepper. I did a lot of research for a Beatles class I taught in the 2000s about that time period. The Beatles were weary of traveling, and especially playing to audiences where they weren't heard (and couldn't hardly hear themselves.) At one point, they heard that Elvis, rather than tour anymore, let his car go on tour and fans seemed to appreciate that. This is when they decided to "send" themselves by film to the Ed Sullivan show and others. The first attempts were videos of "Rain" and "Paperback Writer." Of course the last one was the original "Get Back" clip from the rooftop concert.

I'm sure this is what A & M had in mind with the TTR snowy clip. Instead of touring everywhere and almost killing K & R, it would have been nice to have a few feature films. K would have loved it and been a hit. R would have hated it, and it probably would have been obvious. So, it was never going to happen. Oh well...

Back
Top Bottom