• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Carpenters on German TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno

For the last weeks, I have been watching youtube again and again, watching all those Carpenters videos I had never seen before. You know, I never saw them live in concert, and the only time I watched them performng live on tv was in October 1981, when they promoted BEECHWOOD on a German tv show called SHOWEXPRESS. So the very first videos of Karen and Richard I ever saw was the VHS YESTERDAY ONCE MORE , which was released in 1985. And most of those videos were disappointing for me.

On youtube, there are lots of videos that are much better done. At the time, my absolute favorite is THANK YOUR FOR THE MUSIC from the TONIGHT SHOW. This is how I want to remember Karen, I think. The band does a great musical job, too.

There is also a video, recorded 1978 at the German tv show STARPARADE. Karen and Richard perform SWEET SWEET SMILE. This was a live show (Karen tells about this in the TONIGHT SHOW), but the Carpenters did a full playback (vocals and music, that is). It was the show, where they met ABBA and heard their song THANK YOU FOR THE MUSIC.

It is a strange performance. First of all, the German audience is sitting there as if it was a funeral. Terrible uptight. Then here is the setting. I mean, this is an upbeat country song! Karen is wearing a white long sleeve, like a bride. This might be fitting for WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN, but but not for SWEET SWEET SMILE. But she does her best do do an upbeat performance.
Richard is sitting in a black suit at a grand black piano. This is unfitting to the song, too.

Who the hell was their wardrobe and performance consultor? He did a bad job, I must say.

Bruno

Their performace on SHOWEXPRESS in 1981 has not yet surfaced on youtube. I hope someday it will, because it inspired me to go to the local record store the next day and to buy my very first Carpenters LP.

Bruno, I never knew that they performed Beechwood live in Oct 1981 on Show Express. I do know that they performed Top of the World cause I have that on video. Are you sure they also did Beechwood? Karen's performance on SHow Express of Top of the World is a lip synch and what bothers me with that performance is the music starts playing before Richard can even get to the piano (long stair case to go down) Karen is also so so thin in this performance, it's probably the thinest I have ever seen her in the face but she is very upbeat and exhuberant.

If you want to get an idea of what Karen and Richard looked like there is 2 photos of this performance of Top of the World on Show Express at Stephen's site (hope it's ok to post this link)

http://www.geocities.com/brockstephenj/

go the side bar and click pictures, then scroll to the bottom and click Other Appearances, scroll toward the bottom and see Show Express.

Chris,

I do remember that they performed TOP OF THE WORLD; but as I remember it, they performed BEECHWOOD, too, to promote MADE IN AMERICA.

It's great that you have this performance on video! Couldn't you post it on youtube?

Some months ago, I found a video, also from 1981, this time on French tv, where the Carpenters sang TOP OF THE WORLD, too. Karen looked so thin and exhausted and tired, just as if the life had already gone out of her. Her face is in a sharp contrast to the song, I have to say.

The link, you mentioned, sadly doesn't work for me. The page doesn't exist.

Thanks for your answer! :)

Bruno

Bruno, if they sang Beechwood that would be cool to see since I am not sure that song has ever be sung by them in a live type setting, the only performance of Beechwood that I know of is the official video.

I'm sorry I don't upload to Youtube but I have been there to watch. I have seen the French video of Karen singing Top of the World, it is very painful to watch that, Karen is almost gasping for air, that performance she is singing live and her vocal is so airy it just doesn't sound like Karen, almost like she had no strength inside herself to sing it.

I just tried the link again, it's works here in the US so I'm not sure why it is not working for you in Germany. I hope it works for you soon, there is a wealth of info and pics there to see.

Hi Chris!

When I click the link, a yahoo-window opens and it tells me:
Sorry, the page you requested was not found.

I can't swear, that they performed BEECHWOOD that night, but I have two memories, of which I am absolutely certain.
First, for years I have kept the page from the tv magazine from October 1981, where the Carpenters' performance was announced. There was a little picture of Karen and Richard, and the tv magazine told, that Karen and Richard would be performing BEECHWOOD and YESTERDAY ONCE MORE. This article made me aware of SHOWEXPRESS (which I had never watched before), so I tuned in that night. And I do remember, that I thought afterwards: Well, seems they changed their mind last minute and sang TOP OF THE WORLD instead of YOM.

The next day I went to our local record store and held several Carpenters LPs in my hand, trying to decide which one to buy first ( as a pupil, I didn't have much money). I had MADE IN AMERICA in my hand and read the song title BEECHWOOD. I remember thinking "That was the song they performed in the show yesterday". At last, I decided against MADE IN AMERICA and for A KIND OF HUSH, because the title song was a favorite radio song of mine as a child, even though I never knew then who was singing it. In the following months, I bought all available Carpenters albums, ofcourse.

So, if they really performed BEECHWOOD in that show, a clip from this will hopefully someday appear on youtube.

Yes, the performance on French tv is frightening. The music is playback, but Karen's lead vocal is live, and she seems to be shortly before collapsing. Isn't it terrible? She is probabaly on the lowest point of her life, and yet she has to sing TOP OF THE WORLD.

Bruno

Hello

The newsletters confirm that they did indeed perform 'Beechwood 4-5789' on Show Express in October 1981, however it has never surfaced anywhere public yet.

Another shame is that they performed 'Those Good Old Dreams' for the Merv Griffin Show, however it landed on the editing room floor due to time constraints while they were putting the show together for broadcast.

Stephen

The Carpenters did indeed perform "Beechwood" on Show Express. I have a very poor copy of it. I wiill post to You Tube once I figure out how to do it!
Bob.

Old post!! I thought at first 'Are you sure, Chris!? Thanks to Robert, we could watch the "Beechwood" video this early summer.' Then I noticed when this topic started. :oops:
This song was announced as "Beechwood 4-fifty seven eighty nine" or something like that. What did Julio Iglesias do to Karen at the end of the show?

I posted the link to the "Top of the World" in 1978 this summer. Both the video and Robert's video of two songs in 1981 were deleted.

Regarding to 'Those Good Old Dreams' for the Merv Griffin Show. Didn't a member told us that it aired in the East coast, or another? And he has a copy of Richard's or a copy of copy of Richard's.

Off topic, Bruno, have you heard Barry Manilow's KOST interview? His new album will be released in the last week of November. Amazon US accept pre-order. He will release a couple Christmas songs for another project.

Sakura

As soon as I figure out how to post videos to You Tube, I will post both tunes ("Top of the World" and "Beechwood"), as WELL as "Those Good Old Dreams" out-take from Merv Griffin. I have to dig them up, but I have both shows. I have lots of other stuff that I need to share with fans that has never turned up on You Tube (full Bob Hope '72 and '73), etc. etc. But it may take some time to get this accomplished. But happy to do it!
Bob.

Bob, interesting stuff, your right that stuff has never surfaced, sounds like you have a goldmind, would love to see that outtake of Those Good Old Dreams and Beechwood as well. Hope you can figure out how to upload. :cool:

I'll dig up the tapes today, and transfer them to DVD. The Show Express tape is from a guy I met around 1985. He put them on the crappiest possible quality vhs tapes in existence. The quality isn't good, but I will transfer, and then see if I can figure out how to post. I've been wanting to share some stuff for a while now. "Those Good Old Dreams" is average quality, and just the song. It's just that one segment.

They did do "Sing", but it was apparently from another episode of Julio's show. The episode I have is complete, and they only do "Top of the World". Would love to find it someday. It certainly exists.

rdsofla, thanks for taking the time to upload that and providing the link. I have never seen that before. I knew it existed but never seen this Beechwood clip.

In case others don't know, if you add this to the original URL for youtube it will stream a higher quality version

&fmt=18

So in other words the URL would be this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZcUbHA7od0&fmt=18

I never knew about this until I found it posted on a car forum about Youtube clips here is the site that explains it

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Watch_Higher_Quality_YouTube_Videos

Welcome to the forum!
And thank you for uploading the video, Richard, that's the one!
Yesterday I watched another video of yours. I watched it when it aired. December of 1980. The program was called "Star Sen-Ichi-Ya", I think. There were Rita Coolidge and Donny Osmond in the venue and they were interviewed. It was the next year that I had VHS recorder, I still recorded TV program with radio/TV cassette recorder, too. I have the cassette tape, but I lost the VHS.

Does anyone happen to have Richard's videos like Richard's on Osmonds family charity event? What was like?

I'd really love to watch "A Song For You" full version on Bob Hope Special. I only have seen Bob Hope Show on official DVD's and a part of "A Song For You".
Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know where "Those Good Old Dreams", brick road version came from?

rdsofla said:
Since the "Beechwood 4-5789" clip from Show Express is being talked about... I went ahead and uploaded the copy I have to YouTube tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZcUbHA7od0
Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
rdsofla, thanks for taking the time to upload that and providing the link. I have never seen that before. I knew it existed but never seen this Beechwood clip.

In case others don't know, if you add this to the original URL for youtube it will stream a higher quality version

&fmt=18

So in other words the URL would be this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZcUbHA7od0&fmt=18
SakuraSYayoi said:
'Are you sure, Chris!?
I just thought my post stirred up your memory before you watch it again.
SakuraSYayoi said:
This song was announced as "Beechwood 4-fifty seven eighty nine" or something like that. What did Julio Iglesias do to Karen at the end of the show?

I had thought Chris spread Robert's video.

Sakura

Though the video is just a lipsync of the record, it's fun to see a clip that many of us haven't seen before.

I like how at the end of the "BEechwood 4-5789" song (at around 3:01), Karen, probably a bit tired of standing up there and just clapping, changes to a bit of "air drums".

That was fun. Thanks.

Harry

Thanks, Richard. Nice to see the clip. You continue to be my Carps hero!
I think the performance here is pretty sad, however, like the oomph is gone. And Karen looks so so thin...

Mark, yeah I agree, she looked just like this on the Brazil tour too when she lip synched, Want You Back in My Life Again and also Close to You. She also does some air clapping on that mini concert.

Ok so I knew I had seen this outfit before, Karen is wearing the same outfit on Star Parade as what she wore on MMM with the Ella duet This Masquerade.

Check out Stephen's website, click on the word MMM link on the far left side, scroll down and there it is. :laugh:

http://www.geocities.com/brockstephenj/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom