• Two exciting new Carpenters releases are in the pipeline! The new book Carpenters: The Musical Legacy will be available on November 16, 2021 and can be ordered here. A big thanks to the authors and Richard Carpenter for their tremendous effort in compiling this book! Also, the new solo piano album Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook is being released January 14, 2022, and is available for ordering here.

📣 News Carpenters: The Musical Legacy (Discussion)

JohnFB

I was born to belong to the lines of a song...
Just got Amazon email - estimated delivery date either 11/23 or 11/24...of course, subject to change...wonder how many other books (and other items) are effected?

LongAgo

Hi Chris, I'm wondering if the book will touch on Richard's choice to start using choirs and other backup singers for background vocals instead of spending the studio time to record and layer the sibling harmonies which defined CARPENTERS sound? It's been suggested it was a purposeful attempt to change up the sound. Critics said that choice helped solidify CARPENTERS music as MOR elevator music. Even the most ardent and loyal fans have had trouble embracing the sounds of the OK Chorale or the Greg Smith Singers over the unique and masterful lush harmonies Karen & Richard could create. Many believe it was more expeditious on later recordings due to amount of work that went into layering all the vocal tracks and both Karen & Richard had health issues.

I was doing some special project work for Dick Clark at his offices in Burbank in the late 80's. Mr. Clark (known as the nicest man in show business) had an incredible vintage juke box in his office. It featured some of the biggest names and records in music history including several CARPENTERS hits. We chatted about the CARPENTERS sound which he loved. I asked him what he thought about some later recordings using choirs for background harmonies? I remember he paused and then he said "Those were surprising choices."

Any insight would be appreciated!

JohnFB

I was born to belong to the lines of a song...
Hi Chris, I'm wondering if the book will touch on Richard's choice to start using choirs and other backup singers for background vocals instead of spending the studio time to record and layer the sibling harmonies which defined CARPENTERS sound?
While it would be interesting to know up front whether or not the book touches on this somewhat controversial or contentious issue - and I certainly have my own strong opinions on it - a detailed discussion of the pros and cons of multilayered Carpenter tracks vs. separate background singers/choirs probably belongs in another thread...

LongAgo

John, thank you for for monitoring my post. It would be interesting to hear about your own strong opinions. Please start your suggested thread with everyone. In the mean time, if Chris - the Moderator and author would like to address my question here, I hope he does. If not, I can easily wait for the book release.

Top Bottom