Carpenters Tour Book Scans

Carl

Hi all. Does anyone have any scans of any of the Carpenters tour books they could share ? I’ve been hunting online for some but can’t find any. Many thanks

While looking through my tour booklets, I found a couple of old newspaper articles on Carpenters. Hopefully, they're readable.

Family-Weekly-May07-1972.jpg

Inquirer-Article.jpg

While looking through my tour booklets, I found a couple of old newspaper articles on Carpenters. Hopefully, they're readable.

Family-Weekly-May07-1972.jpg

Inquirer-Article.jpg
Great articles, thanks for sharing! I find it interesting the first article mentions both Richard and Karen's height, but only mentions Karen's weight and not Richard's. Says a lot about weight stigma, particularly when it comes to women.

Hi Arthur,

The link doesn't work, just get this message after clicking on it:
Direct image access denied, please go to worthpoint.com to view images

I can see what it is though in the link address... It was a suppliment with Billboard magazine (17th November) that was basically a collection of promotional material for the Carpenters.

I've attached a link to a pdf file of it for you...

Billy.

Last edited:
WOW! Thank you so much, Billy! Unfortunately I only realized now that the link was broken. I'm sorry...
Hi Arthur,

The link doesn't work, just get this message after clicking on it:
Direct image access denied, please go to worthpoint.com to view images

I can see what it is though in the link address... It was a suppliment with Billboard magazine (17th November) that was basically a collection of promotional material for the Carpenters.

I've attached a link to a pdf file of it for you...

Billy.

I’ve often wondered why there was next to no mention of the Magic Lamp record or deal during their heyday. They were asked about their pre-Carpenters careers often enough during interviews on talk shows, but the fact that Karen was offered a solo recording contract at 16, the story behind it and that fact that copies of the record still existed, was only really revealed many years later after her death. At the time though, for a 16 year-old kid in any family, this would have been a massive deal.

I didn’t realise that scan above was a 21-page tour book - I thought it was just a scan of the cover. Great to read that! Thank you @Billy Rees.

There’s an extensive history of their early days contained in the booklet and, yet again, and as I pointed out in the Goodbye To Love/RPO thread, the Magic Lamp solo deal has been whitewashed from the story. They talk about Joe Osborn, stacking the harmony overdubs, but the only mention of a record contract is that they were still without one by 1968. I do wonder if they/A&M decided early on not to mention Karen’s solo contract, so that the impact of the record deal they later got with A&M would make their story sound all the more triumphant.

I didn’t realise that scan above was a 21-page tour book - I thought it was just a scan of the cover. Great to read that! Thank you @Billy Rees.

There’s an extensive history of their early days contained in the booklet and, yet again, and as I pointed out in the Goodbye To Love/RPO thread, the Magic Lamp solo deal has been whitewashed from the story. They talk about Joe Osborn, stacking the harmony overdubs, but the only mention of a record contract is that they were still without one by 1968. I do wonder if they/A&M decided early on not to mention Karen’s solo contract, so that the impact of the record deal they later got with A&M would make their story sound all the more triumphant.
Not a tour book, the scan is of a promotional supplement that was included with Billboard, dated 17th November 1973. I've only seen it for sale once which sold for over $200.

Back
Top Bottom