• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🥂 50th CLASSICS SERIES, VOL. 9 - Supertramp (CD 2507)

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
41lgIEOnTiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Classics, Volume 9 - Supertramp [1987]
CD 2507

1. Goodbye Stranger
2. The Logical Song
3. Bloody Well Right
4. Breakfast In America
5. Rudy
6. Take The Long Way Home
7. Crime Of The Century
8. Dreamer
9. Ain't Nobody But Me
10. Hide In Your Shell
11. From Now On
12. Give A Little Bit
13. It's Raining Again
14. Cannonball

Pretty good set & everything "Supertramp" any one could ever need! (And not the usual grab bag, but then, this group even in a nutshell, no one could ever do any wrong!)

-- Dave :D

Mediocre-sounding compilation on A&M's part--sloppy edits throughout, and totally blows the claims of the sources being original master tapes. The song selection is decent, given the limited space. Better off getting the original albums (avoiding the horrid live Paris of course).

Two glaring edits: one is in Goodbye Stranger, and another clips off the first few milliseconds of "Logical Song."

Oops... :hide:

There is a "best of Supertramp" collection that is better than this, but I made my own shorter compilation that I like better. I remain dumbfounded that one of their very best songs, "School," is not on this collection. I also really like an old tune "Travelled" which is from their second album Indelibly Stamped.

For me, playing Crime Of The Century and a few tracks from Breakfast In America cover all my own personal "best of" list for Supertramp. And if on CD, they need to be the Mobile Fidelity versions--the standard CDs sound like ass.

I owned this one for all of half a day. I bought it new at Record Time, took it home, heard the jarring edits in "Goodbye Stranger", and brought it back to the store as a used trade in towards the MFSL "Breakfast..".

Ah, the good old days, when we had things like Record Time and in-print MFSL (Mark I) gold discs. :D

I owned this one for all of half a day. I bought it new at Record Time, took it home, heard the jarring edits in "Goodbye Stranger", and brought it back to the store as a used trade in towards the MFSL "Breakfast..".

Ah, the good old days, when we had things like Record Time and in-print MFSL (Mark I) gold discs. :D

You made a good trade there. :agree: I had bought the first A&M release of Crime and to me the whole "perfect sound forever" thing just fell flat when I heard that CD--it never sounded like the MFSL vinyl copy I had. It was rolled off on both ends, and didn't have the same dynamics. When the gold MFSL CD came out, I grabbed it...and that sounded like the LP. (I had only ever owned it on MFSL.)

A shame about Record Time...and Car City. Two of the three big players on the east side are gone. :shake:

Back
Top Bottom