Favorite Duet Partner

Of all the folks who sang a duet with Karen, who was your favorite?

• Perry Como

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Ella Fitzgerald

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Andy Williams

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Carol Burnett

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • John Denver

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Suzanne Summers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Davidson

• Kristy McNichol

• Georgia Engel

• Bruce Forsythe

• Doug Strawn

• Total voters
I think you're probably reading into this. Who knows how long they'd been taping at that point. It's quite possible Como didn't even know he was on camera and he may have been tired.

Ed

Well, technically we're both "reading into this" (conjecture) based upon what we see - whether it's tiredness, lack of awareness, lack of etiquette or professionalism...yes, could have been many possibilities. I just think it appears odd for someone of his caliber to be caught on camera in that way.

I was listening to Tony Bennett's CD of duets, and I got thinking of other duets and who I would have liked to hear Karen with.

I was thinking of some of the bluesy songs on her own CD and thought about her paired with Bonnie Raitt. But I especially was thinking of menthe would make a good partner — who were singing in the 80s. Manilow is a superb arranger and Billy Joel writes terrific songs, but neither one is really a strong singer. And Joel's songs tend to be a bit too cynical to suit her, in my mind. I liked hearing her with Como and Andy Williams because they were also so smooth, and I was trying to think though of contemporary men with a very smooth sound but who also sing high. That would give us an interesting arrangement where we get him singing higher than her. The two that I decided on were Dan Fogelberg and Kenny Rankin.
I’d go for someone completely different from her - different style, different genre, different age, different country - someone to give her some new ‘cred’. I’m thinking late 70s / early 80s, just before, during or after her solo album. I believe most of the interesting artists at that time were coming out of the UK. It could have been a good sound and result pairing her with someone like David Sylvian of Japan, Hugh Cornwell of The Stranglers, Joe Jackson, Robert Smith of The Cure or someone like that. Have them write and produce as well, to make it a really up-to-date and ‘different’ experience. Have them really contrasting - even Jona Lewie or Ian Dury - or, if you must, Sting. Or for an Aussie, a young Michael Hutchence, with INXS writing and producing - or Kiwi Marc Hunter - gravelly voice and smooth voice. If a duet partner from the US, what about Marvin Gaye, Levi Stubbs of The Four Tops or Jimmy Ruffin. They could have sounded great together, if Karen had been able to use her fuller, deeper, richer voice. Or The Sparks, or Iggy Pop, like he duetted with Deborah Harry - but I’m talking about Karen using her real singing voice, not rapping like Deborah Harry does. Something really different and contrasting.

Well, technically we're both "reading into this" (conjecture) based upon what we see - whether it's tiredness, lack of awareness, lack of etiquette or professionalism...yes, could have been many possibilities. I just think it appears odd for someone of his caliber to be caught on camera in that way.

Happens all the time. I just don't see it as a big deal at all. It's sounding off alarms to you. He's only human at the end of the day - regardless of caliber.

Ed

I'm not sure there was anyone on earth who could not be a good duet partner with Karen. She would have complimented anyone. Look how she performed with Ella wow. Many on this list were just entertainers and not necessarily singers. I would love to hear her with Peter Cetera (of course), David Gates, Bryan Adams. NO to Billy Joel lol. I started a list the other day of duets in the 1980s I could hear Karen singing. And potential duet partners. There are so many.

Back
Top Bottom