• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

How many Carpenters LPs / CDs do you have total?

I checked all of my vinyl copies today, and they all are pretty much the standard version with A&M logo at the bottom of the back cover. 1 is a white label promo that a friend gave me, and one has a mispressed jacket that can accommodate 2 vinyl albums in it. It doesn’t fold open, but there is a divider between the 2 openings, like cheap compilations had back in the 60’s & 70’s.

I used to have all the studio albums on vinyl. I also had The Singles 1969-1973, which I almost consider an album instead of a compilation due to the many differences from the original records. The only other domestic compilation I had on vinyl was the one called Yesterday Once More, with the grayish-blue cover. I got rid of all my vinyl in 2015 during a move, except I kept Now and Then because I like that cover.

On CD, I have a few of the original A&M versions, but most of mine are the remasters where they went back to the original mixes. I have at least one copy of all of the studio albums on CD except A Kind of Hush and Passage, including the Special Edition of Christmas Portrait. The album I have the most versions of (because it's my favorite) is A Song For You -- I have the original A&M, the remastered A&M, and the Mobile Fidelity version.

I have also collected a couple of the albums in "mini-LP" format, specifically the ones which have non-standard covers. So far I have A Song For You and Now and Then....I'm hoping to get the Carpenters (tan) album, A Kind of Hush, and Horizon at some point (not sure if they've been independently released as a mini-LP or not).

For box sets, I have both CD versions of From the Top and The Essential Collection. For the most part, I have resisted worrying about any of the international editions or compilations, but there is one I did buy: A British 3-LP collection, which came with a nice booklet.

I used to have the Live in Japan CD. I sold it to somebody since I never played it.

Compilations - I have Yesterday Once More, Interpretations, Carpenters Perform Carpenter, Love Songs, the 40th anniversary collection, the Christmas Collection, and that singles+b-sides set that came out a few years ago. And of course the RPO album. There might be one or two I'm forgetting.

I have Karen's solo album, and Richard's Time. I listened to the Piano Songbook on Amazon Music "Unlimited," but it seems kind of pointless to me -- it would have made more sense if he'd recorded songs he always liked but they never got around to recording. It would have been fun to imagine Karen singing those songs.

Last edited:
I have the regular albums from Ticket to ride to Voice of the heart but in mixed formats Some were vinyl some CDs ( mostly cds as all the vinyl was needledropped) and a few digital download versions as for comps I have Yesterday once more the 1985 2 cd set and I have Karen's solo album on CD and digitally I have Richard's "Time" album and on CD I have his Instrumental "Arranger composer etc" album along with Lovelines and "As time Goes By and everything was ripped into my computer so they are part of my digital library. My Christmas carpenters collection exists as the 2 CD set which featured Both "Christmas portrait" and "Old fashioned Christmas" my Carpenters collection is pretty much just Basic necessities. And has all the songs I want and need. I'm still content with what I have.

Back
Top Bottom